Arrival in Eater Island!


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Easter Island
November 10th 2006
Published: November 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The flights to Ester Island were knackering, almost 24 hours Cuzco to Lima (7hrs wait), Lima to Santiago (2 hrs wait) then 6 hr flight here, but well worth it, it is lovely here.

It is really chilled out and relaxed. We are staying in a little bungalow by the sea with kitchen, dining room and on suite bathroom, so have managed to cook an evening meal with sparse goods from the many supermarkets and can cook breakfasts and lunches!! We have been eating out 3 times a day for 6 weeks, nice to have a change!

We have lots of cats and dogs that vist our little veranda!

Yesterday was our first full day here, we hired a jeep and visited all the Moais (statues) and ahus (alters). All very impressive and nice to see the Island. It is much greener and has more vegitation than we expected. It is only small abt 10km wide and 25km long.

There was a lovely sunset yesterday and big blue waves with white spray crashing into the volcanic rocks. We sat by a Moais drinking a beer watching the sun go down.

We went to a none active volcano and looked into the crater this am and are taking it easy this afternoon. It is great because it is light untill 9pm. We have found some nice resteraunts so are going for a meal later. Hopefully some nice seafood for me and a big steak for Ady! Hopefully we will find a nice sunset before we go, it has been a lovely day again today.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Tongariki MoaiTongariki Moai
Tongariki Moai

This is the big site, we had it to ourselves for an hour!
The Tongariki 15The Tongariki 15
The Tongariki 15

Picture does the talking ....
3 of Tongariki's finest3 of Tongariki's finest
3 of Tongariki's finest

We have dozens of these photos, it was hard to pick just a few for the blog ...
Rapa Nui rugby team wait for England Rapa Nui rugby team wait for England
Rapa Nui rugby team wait for England

On what I heard about the autumn internationals, these lumbering giants would carve us up at Twickers!
Ake Ahu MoaiAke Ahu Moai
Ake Ahu Moai

I think I got the name right, don't hassle me if it's not quite on the money. These 7 guys are the only ones that face the ocean....
Eyes down!Eyes down!
Eyes down!

A restored Moai, near where we stayed, comes complete with hat and eyes ...
Moai emerge from the factoryMoai emerge from the factory
Moai emerge from the factory

These were 2 of over a hundred, at the volcano near Tongariki, ready for transport to a final site. Something stopped production and the quarry is like an abandoned workshop - very eerie!
Will she erupt?Will she erupt?
Will she erupt?

Jacko goes volcanic as I make her pose for the camera for all of 2 seconds...


10th November 2006

cardiff v burnley
Far more important stuff and its cold

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb