Background: Prior to the coming of the Spanish in the 16th century, northern Chile was under Inca rule while Araucanian Indians inhabited central and southern Chile; the latter were not completely subjugated until the early 1880s. Although Chile declared its independence in 1810, decisive victory over the Spanish was not achieved until 1818. In the War of the Pacific (1879-84), Chile defeated Peru and Bolivia and won its present northern lands. A three-year-old Marxist government of Salvador ALLENDE was overthrown in 1973 by a dictatorial military regime led by Augusto PINOCHET, who ruled until a freely elected president was installed in 1990. Sound economic policies, maintained consistently since the 1980s, have contributed to steady growth and have helped secure the country's commitment to democratic and representative government. Chile has increasingly assumed regional and international leadership roles befitting its status as a stable, democratic nation.
Photos from Easter Island
Blogs from Easter Island
Latest Blogs from Easter Island
- June 14th 2013 Back to the Moais...
by Words: 726 Photos: 45
- May 6th 2013 The birdman village
by Words: 469 Photos: 6
- May 5th 2013 Mysterious stone statues
by Words: 455 Photos: 7
- May 4th 2013 Rapa Nui - island of stones
by Words: 202 Photos: 6
- April 21st 2013 Apr 21 – Ile de Pâques. Messe pascuane et retour à Santiago
by Words: 164 Photos: 6
- April 20th 2013 Apr 20 – Ile de Pâques. Ascension du volcan Tereveka à cheval
by Words: 202 Photos: 13
- April 19th 2013 Apr 19 – Ile de Pâques. Exploration de l’île en 4x4
by Words: 553 Photos: 1
- April 18th 2013 Apr 18 – Ile de Pâques. Un volcan de 2,5 millions d’années et les ruines d’un village cérémoniel
by Words: 340 Photos: 8
- April 17th 2013 Apr 17 – Arrivée sur l’île perdue de Rapa Nui.
by Words: 219 Photos: 1
- April 1st 2013 Scooting around Easter Island!
by Words: 1904 Photos: 30
- March 29th 2013 Easter Sunday on Easter Island!!!
by Words: 1581 Photos: 24
- February 15th 2013 Rapa Nui: Easter Island
by Words: 2307 Photos: 12
- January 23rd 2013 Ori Rapanui (Baile rapanui)
by Words: 819 Photos: 6
- January 21st 2013 Despegue forzoso
by Words: 423 Photos: 0
- December 6th 2012 Easter island: tasty fish, crappy rental cars, and lots of Moai..
by Words: 2292 Photos: 10
- November 7th 2012 Rapa Nui - Easter Island
by Words: 1276 Photos: 18
- September 1st 2012 Easter Island - The most remote Inhabited Island in the World
by Words: 3122 Photos: 64
- April 17th 2012 Rapa Nui - Sunsets and Mangos
by Words: 2733 Photos: 1
- January 13th 2012 3 Days in Rapa Nui
by Words: 494 Photos: 2
- January 7th 2012 Patagonia and Easter Island, Jill Style
by Words: 31 Photos: 24