Rio was Grande


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro
March 9th 2006
Published: March 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hey yáll. After a gruelling, but scenic, 22 hour coach journey we´ve now arrived in Iguassu.

But before we said goodbye to Rio we had time for a few more treats...

Firstly, the Champions of Carnaval parade: This was a showcase of the best floats from the 4 day Carnaval the previous week. Taking place at the Samba Drome in front of over 100,000 spectators, the 8 hour festivities epitomised the Brazilian passion for colour, extravangance and music. A truly unforgettable experience.

The following day, we took in a game at the Maracana. It didn´t quite reach the fervour of White Hart Lane on a Saturday afternoon but it came close. The game finished Fluminese 2 Vasco 2 and the latter had a certain Romario playing for them. (I´m sure this guy was 30 in the 1994 World Cup!!!!). The most intriguing part of the whole event, other than the 50 foot flags, fire-crackers, drums and general crazed jumping up and down, was the half time entertainment which involved a 70 year old man doing keepy-ups across the length of the pitch for 15 minutes solid.....bizarre.

Lastly but not leastly, a night out in a traditional Brazilian
It´s just like watching BrazilIt´s just like watching BrazilIt´s just like watching Brazil

News comes in of Mido's winner against Blackburn.
bar/restaurant with some live samba music. To experience some real-life culture was a highlight of the week.....

Our next post will come from Buenos Aires, where we will be arriving on Saturday afternoon. Tango classes here we come!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Samba LoveSamba Love
Samba Love

Anna finds her Adonis at last!!!!


11th March 2006

Who is that guy
I was sure Che Guevara was dead.....oh well!
11th March 2006

have fun....
HAVE FUN DARLING YOU DESERVE IT
19th March 2006

Ciao from Italy
You look like you're having the time of your life!! ENJOY!!! Everyone here says hello! See you when you get back!!

Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.078s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb