Brazil


Advertisement
Published: August 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Thursday 27 July - Brazil



We were awoken early by the taxi drivers strike as they tooted in procession past the hotel apparently accompanied by fireworks. There were on their way to the carnival celebration arena to present a petition to the Mayor, they were complaining about the Uber drivers undercutting their fares. Later we saw them in the arena, there appeared to be thousands of yellow taxis involved.

An all day tour of Rio today seeing all the main sights. Up to Christ The Redeemer on the cog train and stop to go inside the huge Metropolitan Cathedral of Saint Sebastian which was completed in 1979 and can hold 4,000 sitting and 20,000 standing. A photo stop to see the worlds largest mural, by Kobra, painted for the Olympics 2016, in an area of regeneration from a ghetto town to a pleasant family stop using the modern tram system. We were interested to have lunch in the ASA restaurant serving natural Amazon products including a large range of Açai palm based fare. We spent the afternoon travelling to Sugar Loaf Mountain and ascending to the top via the cable cars. Our tour passed through many large areas of flavelas (Portuguese for slum) some denoted by the fences between them and the road, put up to stop the inhabitants from throwing stones at the passing cars. Efforts are being made to encourage education and integration including some innovative art programs. Our guide Sonia was saddened by the recent and ongoing corruption scandals that continue to blight her beloved city.









We had our last evening meal together, as a foursome, in a pleasant restaurant recommended by Sonia. I continued to immerse myself in the local culture by drinking more caipirinhas.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb