Brazil World Cup 2014 - Day 2


Advertisement
Published: June 29th 2014
Edit Blog Post

After a good night's sleep, popped down to the local supermarket this morning and got some breakfast: pizza bun type things with different kinds of meat....and again pay-by-weight but i did not indulge too much this time.

Then around 10am we took the subway down to Ipanema beach and decided to walk down the beaches all the way to Copacabana beach where the Fan Fest and public screening of the first game was to be held. The sand was so soft and the water so clear and beautiful. And it was also very very clean unlike beaches in Chennai, although i don't know if this is the norm or if it's been spruced up for the World Cup. In any case, it was very enjoyable to walk for about 5km along the water's edge, getting wet up to knee height: didn't have time to full-on enter the water as it would require going back all the way to change and then come back.

The first game kicked off at 1pm but we were told we had to be there at the Fan Fest at least 2 hours in advance to get a decent spot to watch on the big screen. There was live music and dancers on stage and it was a fairly fun way to pass the time. Thousands of people slowly filled up the place: including three guys from Chennai who came and shook my hand after seeing me in my CSK shirt (decided to wear that as it matched the yellow of the Brazilian locals as well as the Colombians). The match itself was a bit scrappy in truth, and most of the locals were frustrated with Brazil's performance. It went to extra time at 1-1, and we decided to start heading back and finish the match on some streetside TV as we had to prepare to leave and catch the 2nd match live at the Maracana stadium.

Went back home, picked up the match tickets, then finished watching extra time and the penalty shootout in a street-side shop along with a small throng of people. They were all literally running on the streets as Brazil completed a win - many chanting "Va, Julio Cesar!!" praising the goalkeeper's heroics in the shootout. We then took the subway train to Maracana and got to our seats just as the national anthems were finishing and kick-off was upon us.

It was a fantastic experience and easily the best sporting event i've been to. The stadium was magnificent and the largely pro-Colombian crowd was loud, racuous and singing songs throughout. Moreover i got to enjoy first hand the magical performance of James Rodriguez, who scored both goals in a 2-0 win and is on his way to becoming the next big star of South America.

Took the subway back to Copacabana, got dinner, and then walked around a few blocks of Copacabana as both Brazilians and Colombians were singing and partying well into the night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb