Gearing up for Carnaval, More is More!


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro » Centro
February 23rd 2009
Published: March 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

More is more...More is more...More is more...

Looking good!
Day 693 (20.02.09)

Carnaval, billed as the biggest party in the world, occurs at the same time all across Brazil with Rio being the most famous place to fiesta. Today was the official start to the proceedings and we decided we needed some colourful and crazy things to wear.

With Drew, Nick and Mark from our dorm we got the metro out to Centro and the area outside Uruguiana station which we'd heard was great for the sort of thing we required. It turned out to perfect as we joined throngs of others gearing up for carnaval. The market and surrounding shops were filled with masks, wigs, flowers, feathers, you name it - it left us wondering just what these shops sold outside carnaval time.

We spent a happy couple of hours trying stuff on and between us ended up with some excellent accessories. It appeared that the usual fashion advice "less is more" would certainly not be the case over the next few days and we were more than happy to sit on the "more is more" side of the fence!

Back at the hostel we all got ready and, joined by most of the other inhabitants of our hostel, set in on the dorm balcony for some drinks and music to get the party started.

Lapa is an area of the city well known for its dance clubs and so we headed there to join a huge street party and danced in the streets till dawn - a great night and an excellent way to start carnaval!




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

More is more...More is more...
More is more...

"Shall I go for feathers or flowers...or maybe both?" Decisions, decisions!


30th March 2009

Good times. Loving the wig picture. The Marky Marks and their funky bunch.

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0596s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb