Stop 4: Paraty


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Paraty
August 30th 2010
Published: September 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Having decided we couldn't spend the remainder of our trip on a Brazilian beach we chose to ween ourselves off gradually. Cue Paraty, a beautifully historic seaside town with cobbled streets so old walking in a straight line is difficult, even when sober! The town floods during the winter months and so the buildings are constructed with the doors raised and any art work depicts puddles everywhere. It's charming. 

We've had a great time here although it does lack the poetic tranquility of Iha Grande, which is going to be hard to beat. We've lazed on the beach (we would) and enjoyed a real Brazilian BBQ where the meat and drinks keep on coming, especially if you look as English as us! We felt incredibly welcome, not to mention full. 

Sadly not all of the gastronomic experiences have been this delightful. On our first night, in search of something other than Brazilian fare, we consulted the guide book. It recommended a lovely little italian, especially known for its pizzas. We ordered one each and sadly regretted it. It is very easy for us to describe the flavour of Ellie's grilled vegetable pizza... It was exactly like a Ginster's cheese and onion pasty (if you don't know how bad this is, buy one and sympathise!). It would appear the lonely planet is fallible.  

On Sunday, after promises of looking after "little Ellie-Ben" Steve and Roopa managed to convince Ellie to kayak (yes really). The fantastic four (us, Roopa and Anish) spent the day kayaking to small islands and remote beaches. It was a fantastic day there were flying fish jumping all around us and we provided the yachting class with some entertainment (although we definitely had more fun). Funnily enough 'Ellie Cherry kayaking novice extraordinaire' was the only one not to capsize (she was so smug). 

Sadly (although only for Miss Ellie Cherry kayaking novice extraordinaire), the smugness subsided later in the evening when she managed to step in dirt of the worst kind (dog poo), in flip-flops. Surprisingly all four of us found this funny! Ellie insists you can only know how disgusting this is by trying it yourself. 

This wonderful place with both history and beaches has something for everyone (although maybe not pizza!). We've had a great time. 


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

BridgeBridge
Bridge

This is one of the outlets for the sea water that has flooded the town.
Humming BirdHumming Bird
Humming Bird

This bird was flying around us while we were eating breakfast.
P.I.G UnitP.I.G Unit
P.I.G Unit

Steve enjoying the BBQ!


28th September 2010
Reflection

Reflection
Wow I am so envious of you two !!!!The pictures are AMAZING!!!! I love this one!Who is the fab photographer???? Missing you Ellie, but you go girl and have a brilliant timexxx
12th October 2010

Reflection Photo
Hi Karen, I am very sad to admit that Steve took this photo, it is pretty good though! xxxx

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb