Stop 3: Paradise Island aka Ilha Grande (Big Island, imaginatively named)


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Ilha Grande
August 25th 2010
Published: August 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Small island in the seaSmall island in the seaSmall island in the sea

This was one of many islands we saw from the boat to Ilha Grande.
We are currently cruising back from Ilha Grande. This may sound luxurious. However, our boat would not be out of place doing the isle of Wight hop. Our 5 day stay here was wonderful. Not to be too English about it but, the weather has been incredible and we are both looking a little less pasty. We stayed in a lovely hostel owned by Mamma Brazil (as Ellie's friend Roopa likes to call her). Every day there were fresh juices and cakes on the breakfast table (cake for breakfast, yes Brazilians have a very sweet tooth. No fresh juice is served without a sachet of sugar), and she would cook amazing Brazilian meals every night for her guests. 

The island itself is idyllic, sweeping white sand beaches and unspoilt jungle (you lie in bed and listen to the birds... they go nuts just before dawn so you don't have a choice in this matter. A special mention must go to the one that sounds like a donkey). 

The best beaches are a hike though jungle from the only small town on the island, in which we stayed. We took a 2 hour trail and Ellie was very brave. She stopped looking
Us on a boatUs on a boatUs on a boat

This was after the night bus from Ouro Preto.
for snakes after the first hour! At the end of the trail was Lopes Mendes beach (see pic, words can't do it justice). 

On our fourth day we were joined by our friends Roopa and Anish, who by coincidence are travelling a similar route to us. We made them do the "rewarding" hike to the beach yesterday, but opted for the easier boat trip ourselves. It was great the first time but not desirable to repeat (it's hot, sweaty and at times pretty steep. We sure Roopa and Anish were cursing our names for the recommendation). 

We are a little sad to leave this beautiful, tranquil place, but we can't spend the next 4 months on a beach in Brazil (we need to find a country that knows about wine!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

AqueductAqueduct
Aqueduct

This is the remains of the old aqueduct, we found these on a trek through the jungle.
Lopes Mendes BeachLopes Mendes Beach
Lopes Mendes Beach

The reward for our 2 hour trek.
Babelfish...Babelfish...
Babelfish...

And why not to use it! This actually means don´t throw your toilet paper down the bowl.


28th August 2010

come on
mamma brazil was the best! loved the trek, was well worth it to have the beers, crackers, jam and sausage at the end! loving the travelling with you guys, looking forward to the beer and desert with you once we all stop faffing on the net! xxxx ps if anyone feels like giving us some love on our blog we would much appreciate- we only have 3 comments so far!! http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/roopa_anish pps DONT REJECT ME STEVE!!!! (ill buy u a fresh cold skol..come on)

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb