Amazing sights!


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Pantanal
January 14th 2011
Published: January 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We have been to so many amazing places since i´ve last blogged. It seems like forever ago since the last blog because we have done so much stuff. We left Argentina went to the Pantanal in Brazil and now we are in Bolivia.

Ok to start from the last blog we headed up to Iguazu falls. This was a very long bus ride but we rode on the first class seats so it wasn´t so bad. When we got to Iguazu we found it to be even hotter then all the places we were before but this was because it had a high humidity. Thankfully our hostel had a pool for us to cool off in.

The falls were absolutely spectacular. These falls seem so much bigger then Niagra falls for anyone that´s been there. The site was very cool to because they had all sorts of walkways that would go out right next to a fall or right on top of a fall. We really felt like we saw the falls from every angle. However just in case we decided to do the boat trip as well. This boat trip was the neatest trip! You get on and get given a drysac to put anything you don´t want wet in. Then we start the journey up the river. It was neat going up the rapids on a small boat. Jason and I were lucky and got the front seats! This boat went right up close to one of the falls near the devils throat. We got to see the Devils throat falls which for the most part is seen from the Brazil side. Then we went over to the other falls, this time he took us so close that we were getting full on sprays from the falls. As the boat was turning around to go down river I could see that we were going into a hole. All of a sudden and huge wave of water goes over everyone that was in the front of the boat! We looked like we just went swimming! Then we went back to the first falls and they took us right under it! I had water bouncing off the top of my head. Overall it was a really neat experience!

Jason and I decided that we wanted to go to the Pantanal in Brazil to see exotic wild life. A common jumping off point was Campo Grande so we decided to head there. We had a hell bus trip getting there. Anything that could go wrong did go wrong. While we were supposed to be on a good bus we had a terrible bus with no airconditioning and bad seats. We had to change buses which took two hours and we stopped like a billion times. When we got to Campo Grande we just chilled out recouperating for a day. The next day we headed off on a 4 day tour to the Pantanal.

We decided to do the Jungle stay in the camp in the middle of the jungle. We slept in hammocks. It was definately an experience. Around camp alone we saw Tucans, Parots, 3 types of snakes (some poisoness), anteaters and tarantulas. We had many activities that we got to do like the Jungle trek. You go out into the middle of the jungle being as silent as possible to try and see the animals. We saw tons of Monkeys (howlers with babies too!), caimans (aligators), parrots and insects on this hike.

We also went parana fishing. Of course the first fish I pull out is not a parana but it was supposed to be good to eat so we kept it. After we started catching fish these giant birds came and were begging for fish. Jason and I were very amused by the fact that they would eat the paranas and they didn´t seem quite dead yet as thier throat would wiggle every once and a while.

Our guide took us down to see some capibarans (hairy water pig looking things), after they left we noticed there were about 50 caimans in the lake (aligators). So we went over to get a closer look. Our guide took someones flip flop and fishing line. He started througing the flip flop out into the water and pulling it back to him. Within a few minutes the caimans all started coming after it. It was so neat to watch. It was like a bunch of dogs in a dog park going after a ball. Although they were very slow until they actually caught it.

We also got to go horse back riding and I got to ride bareback. I choose to ride bare back as he said we´d be walking the entire time. Turns out that wasn´t true and we did a lot of running. It was a lot of fun, by the end of our 3 hour ride my muscles were killing me. During our trip we saw some animals but there was also a thunderstorm that started so we were riding in a thunderstorm. I loved it!

We tried composing a list of the animals we saw but we forgot some names and we´re sure we´ve missed some but here is what we got: Tucans, parrots (several different types and colors), caimans, capibarans, rodent things that kind of look like racoons, anteaters, tarantula, snakes, armadillos, monkeys, frogs, bees and lots of mosquitos and other bugs.

Jason got a bit of a flu in the jungle but managed to fight through it. After the trek back in Campo Grande I got violently ill. After a day of loosing my stomache I had to get on a midnight plane to Bolivia. This shouldn´t be so bad because it´s a short flight but I felt so crappy. However good news is now i´m in Bolivia feeling great! We´re already enjoying the cheaper cost of living here. We head to La Paz tonight. This is the highest sitting city in the world. I´m excited to see it!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



16th January 2011

WOW ! Those are some amazing moments, I can see gators like flip flops LOL
19th January 2011

Quati
The rodent things that look like raccoons are quati. They are pests in cities. In the big park in Campo Grande where the environmental police are they strew trash everywhere. Doesn't look good for the police! Capivaras are also plentiful in that park. It's too bad you didn't take the bus from CG to Corumbá. You would have seen tons of tuyuyus (what you captioned "big birds") and garcas (egrets) and jacares (crocs) and deer and boars all along the side of the road. It's an amazing place, the Pantanal! Anyway, Corumbá is right on the Bolivian border. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb