3 Days on 4WD Road Trip From Chile to Bolivia


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Potosí Department » Uyuni
May 16th 2006
Published: May 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

BoliviaBoliviaBolivia

The Bolivian Immigration
Took a 3 days road trip, starting from San Pedro De Atacama to Uyuni, Bolivia. Reminded me very much of my Tibet trip. Just that the songs that we hear are not Deng Lijun or Ah Tu, but some Bolivia pop songs.

Over these 3 days, we travelled through beautiful altiplano lakes, extremely hot desert and vast salt plain. And this is the first time I experience a mirage like those in storybook. We all thought we saw reflection of a train on the water. But there´s no water. So this is the meaning of seeing a mirage in a desert (salt plain in our case).

Here´s some other highlights of the trip.

1. Laguna Colorada: The lake was red with many many flamingoes, with mountains and volcanos as backdrop. Imagine the reflection of the mountains and pink flamingoes in the water. So beautiful!

2. Salar de Uyuni: The largest salt plain in the world, with an area of 12,000 sq km (how many times of Singapore is that?!?!). Wake up early to drive through the plain at sunrise. Love the colour change on the white salt plain.

3. Salt Hotel: We stayed in a hotel that was built entirely with salt. Even the tables, chairs and bed (rack) were made of salt. Amazing!

4. Cactus Island: An island in the centre of the salt plain with many many huge cactus. Have never seen cactus this big!

Glad that we had these 2 nice couple, from Cananda and Poland, on our trip, where we were practically ¨stuck¨ together for 3 whole days, travelling, eating and sleeping together. Of course, credit goes to our wonderful driver-cum-guide-cum-cook for driving so smoothly through those bumpy roads!





Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Ahhh...Ahhh...
Ahhh...

Opps, I accidentally shrunk OSM!
Salar de UyuniSalar de Uyuni
Salar de Uyuni

Reflection on the salt plain at dawn
CactusCactus
Cactus

Many many huge cactus


Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 82; dbt: 0.0978s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb