Beautiful Salt Lake


Advertisement
Published: February 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Beautiful Salt LakeBeautiful Salt LakeBeautiful Salt Lake

Driving across the Lake by Landrover
It was another long 8 hour drive to Uyuni from Potosi. As we approached the town coming down from the mountains, we were treated to a spectacular sunset, surrounded by huge bolts of fork lightning, nature in its true glory, and a spectacular photo moment, although I couldn't catch some lightning!

We got the hotel, which was very pleasant compared to the hotel in Potosi, and were delighted to find it had a really cool Pizza restaurant joined to it. The establishment was owned and run by an American, who was also Chef, so we had an amazing Pizza for dinner, some wine and then bed.

Another 8am start on the Sunday morning, our group was picked up by Land Rovers, and driven out through the desert towards the Salt Lake. We stopped on the way to visit a train graveyard, some of Bolivias oldest steam trains, rusted and dumped to decompose in the desert, a very strange sight.

Then we arrived at the Salt Lake. The highest and largest Salt Lake in the world, and it didn't dis-appoint, a truly amazing and spectactular sight. Its rain season here, so the Salt was flooded with rain, but for
Salar de Uyuni, BoliviaSalar de Uyuni, BoliviaSalar de Uyuni, Bolivia

The Worlds largest Salt Lake, an impressive sight
me this made the view even more stunning, as the sky and surrounding snow capped mountains reflected off the plains, far away to the horizon. Perhaps the most beautiful thing have seen so far, and some great photos. There is also a hotel, made of the salt, in the middle of part of the lake!! We stopped there and had lunch and wine, unreal!!!

We then headed back to the otel after the day at the lake, had another amazing pizza and wine, and all watched a dvd in the restaurant. Yet another amazing day.

The next morning was another driving day, back across to Potosi, so another 7 hour or so journey. On the way we passed an area where Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid had shortly lived, and the mine they worked at and eventually robbed! They were captured and killed not too far away from this secluded place. There was some sort of signpost commemorating this, so I asked our driver to stop the truck and get a picture, which I think is cool!!!

Back to Potosi that night, which I wasn't a fan of. We did find a cool restaurant though, so
Butch Cassidy & Sundance KidButch Cassidy & Sundance KidButch Cassidy & Sundance Kid

A town not far from where Butch and Sundance were captured. They worked in a mine behind this sign
had a good meal, but then back to bed, as we were off yet again the next morning, and this time a drive across the border out of Bolivia, and to a country I've always been excited about, Argentina......!!!! Bolivia was supposed to be pooroer than Peru, but going from only the areas I had seen, it seemed a very bustling and nice place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Sunset over UyuniSunset over Uyuni
Sunset over Uyuni

Amazing Sunset


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 64; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb