Argentina, Argentina, Argentina......!!!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta
February 7th 2006
Published: February 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Salta, ArgentinaSalta, ArgentinaSalta, Argentina

Salta, going up a mountain in a cable car
A long journey from Potosi and across the border, which was a much smoother crossing than Peru to Bolivia, and we were in Argentina.

Immediately the roads are better, only 5% of the roads in Bolivia are tarmaced. We also started to come down in altitude, the first time in a few weeks. As the drive to Salta ( our destination ) was so long, we camped overnight at a secluded campsite, where we were under the stars, and treated to another spectacular lightning storm, even on a clear night!!!

We packed up, the next morning at 8am and set off again, to complete our journey to Salta. By now we had noticed a huge change in the weather, warmer, as we were now at a sensible altitude of 1100 meters.

Again we were camping, so via a food shop in a supermarket in Salta, we made our way to the campsite, which was really nice especially camping rough the night before. It also had a huge swimming pool.

Up went the tents again, then off sight seeing for the afternoon in the town centre. It was a lovely place, beautiful colonial Spanish type buildings in the
Camping in SaltaCamping in SaltaCamping in Salta

A typical sight after we pitch up our tents. Mind the stray dogs though!
centre, and not as 3rd world as we were now used to.

A blinding dinner followed, prepared by people in our team at the campsite, then a really good night out. We took a taxi to get to the town centre, and there are no rules on these roads!!! On the way, a motorcyclist crashed in to the side of our taxi, a scary moment but no injuries or even damage!!! The town was a lively place, where the clubs open at 12 midnight, and are open all night, so we all went out and it was good fun.

The next morning ( Thurs 9th ), I decided to have a well earned lie-in. Got up at noon, then rustled up some people to join me in going up the mountain via cable car to have a panoramic look at the town. That was good fun, and a great view. We then had lunch, and I went on a spending spree in the mall, buying some Argentinian clothes for nights out!

It was my turn to help out with dinner that night. We're split in to teams of 5 to cook whilst camping, and my team rustled
Dont Cry For Me Argentina....Dont Cry For Me Argentina....Dont Cry For Me Argentina....

Me at the border to Paraguay!!!
up a beef stew with chocolate and cream for desert, and it was amazing!!!!

A few of us decided to go out again that night, and Im glad we did as it had been carnival night in Salta, so the place was busy.

Everywhere we go, people look at us, and are keen to talk, so its great meeting and talking to local people. Apparently in South America, there are more wild Jaguars than tourists!!! And that has been a real good thing.

It was anoter really good night out, but our last in Salta. Onwards again the next morning. I think I had a one hour sleep after I got back to camp before we left!

The next day ( Friday 12th ), we were on the road again, and this time it would be heading out of Argentina to cross the Border to Paraguay. I really liked Argentina, and the countryside is very similar to England, apart from the climate and the odd Palm type tree scattered in the forests. Also there are millions of bugs!! I would definitly like to come back here for a longer visit, have heard lots of good things about Buenos Aires since have been on this trip.

Dont cry for me Argentina........!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb