El Scorchio, Paraguay...


Advertisement
Paraguay's flag
South America » Paraguay
February 11th 2006
Published: February 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The heat had now gained momentum, and it was baking as we approached Paraguay ( 35 degrees ).

The drive from Salta to the border was long, so we stopped tro camp at a secluded site overnight, next to a service station. We pitched up, had dinner played cards and chilled out. As we were playing cards, a girl in our group ran over to us screaming, there was a snake in her tent! It was a baby Viper, so our driver exterminated it. Snakes!!!

We arrived at the border which seemed humble enough, and again the scenery began to change as we entered this landlocked country. Before we crossed the border, we had bought a load of food, meat. This would backfire, when we reached the border, the officials were checking against foot and mouth, apparently an outbreak in Argentina, so all the new food got binned! We made the crossing in the intense heat, and on our way via another supermarket to the next camp spot.

The next campsite was luxury compared to the others, a nice pool, bar, and a flat green field!!!! But we arrived late after a long drive, so a quick dip in the pool then dinner. The tour itinerary was to pack up the next day and go to the national park of Paraguay, and camp for the night. This was debated by the now tired group however, who some wanted to have a day relaxing by the pool. It went to a vote, and me voting for going to the park ( you can sit by a pool all day at home, this is all about adventure!!! ), won in a split vote, and we set off the next morning ( Sunday 12th early to the National Park ).

The National Park was great, we left early to get there, a 4 hour drive. The Park has lots of wildlife, and is part rainforest. There are giant blue butterflies, snakes, and many other animals. There was a natural pool with a beautiful waterfall above it, so it was lovely to swim in that, especially with the heat. When swimming, a teenage boy got in to difficulty in the water, and started going under. His panic stricken dad attempted to save him, and got in to trouble also. I spotted this, and alerted my mate Dan who is a strong swimmer and was nearby, and between us we saved them. It was quite scary, and they were in shock. The locals appreciated us even more by then, it was like Baywatch!

We had a relaxing night in the park under the stars, and at night I saw fireflies, the first time I have seen anything like them, and they were amazing. Tis was our last night camping, we had done 6 nights in a row, and the next morning we were to leave for the Capital City of Paraguay, Asuncion.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1718s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb