most dangerous road in the world!


Advertisement
Published: May 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

well we have survived! the bike ride was really tough, especailly as i was recovering from food poisioning and still throwing up for some of it! the scenery was absolutely incredible though. however its easy to see how the road got its name. its basically a dirt track cut into the side of the mountain. it was built in the 40´s by prisioners, and the locals believe that the accidents occur becuase of angry spirits pulling people over the sides. the drops are sheer and there is no safety barrier, and downwards trafic rides on the outside edge! nice! everytime a truck passed us (its the main road connecting bolivia and brazil so theres a lot of trade traffic) we had to jump off our bikes and perch near the edge to let it pass.

the trucks are crazy, loaded to fill with goods and then a load of people sitting on the top to earn the driver some extra money. on the corners theres often crosses where people have died, and as the truck drivers go past these they cross themselves, thereby negotiating the most dangerous corners with only one hand on the wheel! scary stuff.

we saw some eagles and rode through waterfalls and rivers. our guides were excellent andalmost made you feel safe! we are both now suffering from sore arms, hands and bums though.

Corrorico, where the bike ride finishes and where we are now, is truly beautiful. as we came down the mountain it got steadily warmer and more humid and you can now definately tell that we are in the tropics. there are some beautiful butterflies and we also saw an incredible catterpilla! our hostel is the nicest so far, with hammock decks, a pool table, table football, a bar, a swimming pool and a sauna. even better theres actually toilet roll in the bathroom! (bolivian policy seems to be, buy your own!). its going to be difficult to leave.

well im off for a swing in a hammock and a beer. bus to rurrenabaque the day after tomorrow and then a jungle trip i think. xx

Advertisement



10th May 2006

Angry spirits
I really don't like the sound of those angry spirits pulling people over the edge! Thank goodness that it's all over and that you are able to start on the next excitng episode. Keep safe! Love Marilyn. XXX
10th May 2006

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
Although you're miles and miles away, We're wishing you a great birthday, Go and find a comfy hammock And later on cause some havock, We're all raising a glass to you Now you're no longer twenty two, You are now a wiser twenty three Have a wicked birthday travelling Jamie!!! All my love Keely and the rest of The Cot's xxxxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb