Christmas and the Death Road


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
January 1st 2010
Published: January 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

SO we finally arrived in Bolivia after a few fun weeks in Peru. We are still travelling with the two other couples Rob,Jennie, Sam and Fiona. We arrived in La Paz just in time for Christmas. on first impression La Paz seems very crazy but fun at the same time, the city just seems to be riddled with markets on every corner. We had booked into The Adventure Brew Hostel for 3nights to enjoy the xmas break. This was our time to enjoy ouselves and have a few drinks which we surely did. Every night we made a party for ourselves on the roof top terrace overlooking La Paz.
The day itself was nice as everyone got to call home and then we enjoyed the rest of the night with another party on the roof. Once all our drinking was out of our systems we decided to book "The Death Road" cycle. This involves cycling downhill for 65km along a very small road with a drop of a 1000meters to your death if fallen! The group for the day included myself, Anne, Rob, Jennie and some other travellers.
We started the day at 4700meters altitude and progressed within four hours to 1200meters down in the jungle. The cycle itself was not as scary as people before had made out to be. There is only a couple of instances where the road is very narrow and can feel exposed. Once at the bottom of the cycle we were treated to a nice free swim and shower in a hotel and a buffet lunch which I always enjoy.
When we arrived back to La Paz we were told that BBC1 had just shown an episode of Top Gear on the Death Road and made itout to be a lot scarier than it is! The following day both myself and Rob had planned to climb Huayna Potosi so that is coming on the next blog!


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb