Adios Peru, Hola Bolivia!


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
January 30th 2006
Published: February 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello Bolivia, Goodbye PeruHello Bolivia, Goodbye PeruHello Bolivia, Goodbye Peru

At the border crossing to Bolivia. Peru was a fascinating and diverse country.
We checked out of the hotel in Puno, and drove 2 hours to the Peru / Bolivia border. My first border crossing, got our passports checked and stamped, and walked across the bridge from Peru to Bolivia.

Another hour or so drive, and another excursion, this time to Bolivias' most ancient ruin, the site of Tiwanaku. The Tiwanaku's date back earlier than the Incans, and there were some interesting monuments on display. We had lunch, then drove through another huge storm, and made our way to La Paz, capital of Bolivia, and the highest Capital City in the world. Again you feel its harder to breath, nearly 4,000 meters.

The city as we approached, looked typically 3rd world as most sights I have seen so far. But then as we got in to the City, there are people everywhere. Then we drove to a view point that overlooks the whole City, and it was the most spectacular sight I've seen so far on the tour. The place is huge, and is surrounded by panoramic mountains. It looks clean too. Its amazing that across the border around 2 hours away, people live on floating Islands with no electricity, and all of a sudden, there is this huge thriving western world type place.

We check in to our hotel, which again is nice and failry modern, and go for an orientation walk. There are lots of markets, including the Witches market, that sells fetuses, potions, and skins of animals, amongst the usual tourist goods we see everywhere we go.

We walk further, and hit Burger King for dinner, the first seen so far!

It seems a cool place, and Im glad to be here, and in some civilisation.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.265s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1945s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb