Kikaz and Monaz in La Paz!


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
August 23rd 2008
Published: August 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

As we were descending into La Paz we were met by a breathtaking view. Kiki saw it first and exclaimed "MONIA, LOOOOK!!!". Everyone on the bus turned and looked and for a few minutes all we could hear were the sounds of camera shutters. It was beautiful how the buildings seemed to be clinging to the steep slopes surrounding the city.
We stayed for 10 days and really liked it.
On our second day (the 10th of August) they had a referendum in Bolivia (not sure exactly what it was about) which meant that the whole city closed down. We could hardly find a place to have breakfast!! The night before we wanted to go out for a glass of wine, but to our amazement they did not serve alcohol purely because it was the night before the referendum!!
Apparently La Paz is divided into three main geographical areas which also separate the social classes. The lower down in the valley, the more expensive it gets and the warmer it gets (lowest part 3000m). There is an 8 degree difference between the top and the bottom! The poor people live higher up in the cold (4090m). The lower part looked pretty much like a different country, namely wealthy America... The central part, which is where we stayed, is for the middle class...
In La Paz we did some sightseeing. We saw the Moon Valley, at the bottom of the city which is an area of strange looking rocks that look a lot like the moon...
We also visited some markets, looked around the shops, saw some colonial buildings, visited the Coca Museum and learned all about the Coca leaf, its history etc...
Monia cycled on the most dangerous road in the world (entry soon to come) and we climbed Chacaltaya (also soon to follow). On our last day we went to see Cholitas Wrestling which was an experience too...
All in all, La Paz made a big impression on us and we would definitely love to come back one day.





Additional photos below
Photos: 68, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

La PazLa Paz
La Paz

View from our hotel room. Hotel Milton, not Hilton.


Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb