La Paz and Copacabana


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
June 5th 2007
Published: August 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We left Potosi for La Paz and said goodbye to Patrick, Maja and Ingrid it was quite sad as it was the last time we were going to see them. We arrived in La Paz at 6am and at first did not realise it was La Paz as we were supposed to arrive at 9am, we awoke from our sleep dazed and confused and hurried off the bus. We did not have a hostel booked so we picked a hostel from our guide book, took a taxi not releasing it was only a 2 minute walk around the corner and we had just been riped off!!!

The hostel did not know whether they had room so we waited 2 hours whilst they found out. Meanwhile we had some delicious pan cakes with butter and sugar. We finally checked into our dorm room at 9am and slept for a couple of hours. In the afternoon we explored La Paz. We visited San Francisco church and plaza and the witches market where they sold herbs, magical potions and shrevelled llama fetusus. As we walked around there was lots of markets selling materials, DIY, fruits and clothes. What we noticed was in Bolivia stalls and shops that sell similar items are all bundled together. On our walk around La Paz we found a hard rock cafe, we had some good american style burgers. That evening we went to the cinema to see The Holiday and had popcorn.

The next morning we left for Copacabana. Our bus picked us up from our hostel which made it easy on us. We arrived in Copacabana and checked into a really cheap hotel, which was nice but had a cold shower!!!

Copacabana is a beautiful small town set on Lake Titicaca and has lots of atmosphere. That afternoon we climbed a large hill called Cerro Calvario. It was hard work because of the altitude but worth the climb as we we got to see an amazing sunset. The view from Copacabana from the top of the hill was picturesque.

The next morning we went to Isla Del Sol. Isla Del Sol is the birth place of the sun in inca mythology. The boat took 2 hours even though we could see the island from Copacabana. We finally arrived at the north end of the island and visited the villiage of Cha'llampa, near to the villiage was inca ruins and we treked from the north part of the island to the south part of the island. It took us 3 hours of constant up and down hill, again it was hard work because of the altitude but good practise for the Inca trail. On the boat on the way back to Copacabana we see people dressed in a traditional way, dancing at the Pilko Kaina ruins. We arrived in Copacabana and had the best meal ever in Bolivia, Chili con carne (it actually had spice!!!)

We got up early as we had to leave Copacabana at 1 o clock to go to Puno. We tried a traditional bolivian breakfast museli with fruit and yogurt. The restaurant was outside in the garden and had a monkey. We gave the monkey some banana and it drank out of a coke bottle. It was really cute and funny as it would climb all over you and even stand on our heads. After breakfast we went to plaza 2nd de febrero there was lots of atmosphere, there was a band playing and lots of grilled fish as it was the festival of the fish. We visited the cathedral and the Capilla De Velas (candle chapel) which has thousands of candles and wax graffitis. Outside the cathedral were lots of cars covered in flowers this is a blessing of the cars which happens twice daily. We went shopping and brought lots of bolivian style hats that keep your ears warm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



11th August 2007

Ugh......shrivelled llama foetuses!!
God...what strange things the Bolivian people eat, thank goodness you found The Hard Rock Cafe! (I never would have believed you'd find one in Bolivia). I love the photo of you with monkey Sam, you look so happy and I know you're both having an amazing time. Look after each other, love you lots Mum J XXXX
28th August 2007

monkey business
Felt for you both when I was reading about your farewell to Patrick, Maya and Ingrid. You seemed to having great fun altogether..but I wouldn't worry you are bound to find some more friends soon. Loved the pic's of the monkey. They are sooo mischeviouse aren't they? They get up to so many tricks. Some of your photos are brilliant,especially the crazy clouds at sunset.. it just doesn't look real does it?I am glad you finally got a meal that you really enjoyed chill con carne with spices. I had to laugh when I read about the 2 minute taxi ride...you have some great memories.. looking forward to the next one. bye for now luv mum vanessa x

Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0146s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb