Bolivia: Lake Titicaca-Isla del Sol


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » Isla del Sol
February 22nd 2007
Published: March 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Lake TiticacaLake TiticacaLake Titicaca

View from the boat on our way to Isla del Sol
Lake Titicaca-Isla del Sol February 22-25, 2007

Early morning we headed to the beach to get a boat to transport us to the famous Isla del Sol situated at about two hours from Copacabana. After buying our one-way ticket on a wooden boat filled with locals and travellers, we started our navigation on Lake Titicaca. Sitting outside on a bench and feeling the wind and sun against my face, I truly enjoyed being on this immense lake and hearing the water splashes along the boat. From the boat, I got an interesting perspective of the different settlements found on the numerous islands of Lake Titicaca. Due to the steep terrain, people have to cultivate on the mountains and therefore, the land is leveled and organized for every type of grains, vegetables and fruits. This peculiar landscape showed you how islanders survive in harsh conditions.

Arriving at Isla del Sol, we were greeted by numerous young children wishing to guide us to the best hostal on the island. After gently declining their offer, we proceeded to hike the famous "Escalera del Inca", steps that have been built centuries ago by the Incas to access the higher part of the island.
Isla del SolIsla del SolIsla del Sol

A typical sight on Isla del Sol: women working on textiles and lamas being led by young girls...
Considering my fitness level and the altitude, my lungs worked very hard to bring me to the top of the island! On our way to the "summit", we passed the "Fuente del Inca", a water source once again created by the Incas, where the islanders get their potable water. At this same source can be found each morning people filling tanks of water that are carried by the multitude of donkeys found on the island (Their laughable and pathetic scream made me smile every time!). Since there is no water or sewage system, many donkeys are needed to provide plenty of water for the hostals and restaurants hosting the capricious travellers....

Jason ended up finding an amazing room in an unfinished hotel: wooden floor, white painting, big hard bed, and three gigantic windows with view on the lake and island. (Because it was under construction, the prices were still extremely cheap for this type of accomodation). We decided to explore the surroundings for two-three hours and went for a cold beer on a patio facing the lake and other islands. The nice owner lady, originally from La Paz, started talking to us about the Carnaval and its different dances.
Isla del SolIsla del SolIsla del Sol

Magical view of the island and lake from our wonderful cheap room...
She explained to us how many people from the capital moved to the island in search of new opportunities and...tranquility! This same night, we discovered a fantastic little restaurant offering fresh pasta and met with a Danish traveller working in Switzerland, Leo. We had dinner all together and decided to hike to the Northern tip to see the other ruins.

The next morning we started our day trip to the Northern tip of the island and decided to take the rocky path crossing the island on our way to the ruins and take the path along the shore to go through the different communities on our way back. Despite the altitude and steep terrain, the landscapes were breathtaking, the ruins were impressive and the Andes topped with snow were proudly rising over the lake! It is hard to believe that these ruins, "Sacrifice Table" and "Puma Rock" have been built by the Incas hundreds of years ago....it is even more unbelievable to have witnessed where the Sun was born...Upon returning from this full-day excursion, we had a shower, a cold beer, a great meal, and...a mind filled with amazing memories!

I felt very sad to leave behind me
Isla del SolIsla del SolIsla del Sol

Another view from one of the three windows of our room...you can clearly see the divisions and levels made for the agriculture of the land.
this magical island...My stay on Isla del Sol was undoubtedly a highlight of my journey in Bolivia!

Next destination: Peru and the city of Cusco!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Isla del SolIsla del Sol
Isla del Sol

The beauty of Lake Titicaca...
Isla del SolIsla del Sol
Isla del Sol

"La Escalera del Inca"...the wooden stairs made by the Incas to hike to steep terrain of the island...


1st March 2007

Hey
I don't actually know what to say on these things but it looks like you are having an aweomse time and all I can say is keep it up!

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 76; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb