Bolivia: Lake Titicaca-Copacabana


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » Copacabana
February 19th 2007
Published: February 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

CopacabanaCopacabanaCopacabana

Ahhh....water! Watching Lake Titicaca and hearing the "waves" was a true relief for someone who has been raised close to a lake and spent her last years close to ocean in Vancouver...
Lake Titicaca, Copacabana February 19-21, 2007

What a relief to finally see the water and hear the waves along the shore! Despite the fact that Titicaca is actually a lake, its impressive superficy makes you think it is an ocean! The colourful fishermen boats were floating along the shore, small green mountains were surrounding the village, and fresh marine air were filling my lungs...

Besides the pleasure of being close to the water, we ate fish for the first time in weeks (!!!) in one of the shacks along the beach: fried trout, rice, vegetables, and french fries for 15 bolivianos...with a Bolivian beer! As some of you may know, the majority of Bolivian food is fried: fried chicken, rice and french fries are the usual menus items in shacks and restaurants. In any case, getting some omega-3 in my body felt great!

When we left Oruro, we thought that we will be escaping the insanity of the Carnaval and found peace in the small city of Copacabana. However, the owner of the restaurant explained to us that while the Carnaval ended in the major cities, the inhabitants of smaller cities and villages actually started to celebrate! We therefore witnessed traditional dances and music...and early morning drinking in Copacabana. There was a pleasant festive atmosphere in the village and every store and restaurant were decorated with colourful balloons! Fortunately, it was far from the debauchery that ocurred in Oruro! But I will stop complaining as I have done harder things than watching the sunset over Lake Titicaca while drinking a beer...

Next stop: Isla del Sol (Lake Titicaca)


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



28th February 2007

Hi Laurence I just read your blog too ,great I just happened to be in the room when I heard the letter come. You sure are on an adventure I say. keep it up Laurence We enjoy reading your blog too. take care Ove and Birte.

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb