Holy Christ!


Advertisement
Published: January 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Cochabambas main squareCochabambas main squareCochabambas main square

They really take their pollitics seriously here. this lot just milled around letting off fireworks, 2 days later they went nuts and started setting fire to buildings and going toe to toe with the riot police.
Ross:

Arrived in Cochabamba with most of the group staying behind in La Paz for an extra day and then flying to Sucre where we would meet up with them again. Our guide José really didn’t give the impression that there was a great deal to do here, and in terms of activities suppose he was right but he also said there was hardly any night life, other than watch the protesting coca farmers in the town square trying to oust the regional governor or something ‘cause they didn’t like him. So with the only thing to do but go out and get drunk we soon found a great little pub full of locals and some cocktails for Claire and great cheap shots. Still up for a night of fun we asked some locals for a good club to head too and were pointed to the green pepper. After some wandering around and harassing locals we finally found the club it was shut and wouldn’t open for a couple of hours. So we planted ourselves next door in a restaurant and had some more drink and some chips then decided we couldn’t be bothered with the club and headed home
Cablecar 1Cablecar 1Cablecar 1

shot from the cablecar station up to Jesus' hill. He's hidden by the pointy rocky bit at the top.
somewhat annoyed at the underselling that Cochabamba nightlife had received.
Next day we headed to Cochabambas main tourist attraction: a slightly larger but not as good a copy of the statue of Christ in Rio. It being roasting and Claire and I having no desire to try and climb the very long and steep set of stairs that lead up the hill we took the easy option and caught the cable car to the top. Once at the top and really unimpressed by Christ we took in the splendid view out over the city. From what we’d seen of the city and José’s, by this time we had decided José (who’s Peruvian) was a bit of a snob when it came to Bolivia and nothing was really that good, descriptions we thought it to be a relatively small town but in actuality its was massive. After watching a bit of a thunder storm off behind some hills we’d had enough and headed back to the hotel to grab some food and then catch the night bus to Sucre.

Claire: Cochabamba was cool, feckin massive cocktails called terminators for about a pound. also 6 shots of straight 40% liquor for a pound. needless to say I had fun. we saw a massive christ and got to watch a thunder and lightning storm brewing on a hill across the valley which was amazing. there were quite big protests going on in cochabamba while we were there and we found out two days after we left that things went a bit wrong and there were riots and fires and it all got a bit rough.
the night bus from cochabamba to sucre was a bit of an experience but we survived and saved 50USD compared to those in our tour group who decided to fly. go team!


photos to come... we're having some technical issues.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Cablecar 3Cablecar 3
Cablecar 3

Me looking happy 'cause i never took the stairs like the chumps in the back ground... oh and you can see Jesus too.
Holy Christ!Holy Christ!
Holy Christ!

Claire didn't seem to appretiate this joke at the time, but then she stole it for the blog title. She secretly love my jokes.
Cochabamba 1Cochabamba 1
Cochabamba 1

Some views out over the city.
Cochabamba 2Cochabamba 2
Cochabamba 2

Some views out over the city.
Me with JesusMe with Jesus
Me with Jesus

Jesus's bathes me in his love.
Jesus statsJesus stats
Jesus stats

Ha, my total number of people killed during construction beats your total height.Top trumps with statues. Great.
Remember me!Remember me!
Remember me!

This kind of thing would work alot better if it boomed scripture and breathed fire or chucked lightning bolts at no believers, would sort the church's waning congregations in no time.
Some kidSome kid
Some kid

A really big book with some scripture on it and a local street urchin that Claire thought was really cute. The child resembled a bizzare mini-me of her mum (identical outfit) who kept trying to sell us sweets in a very high pitched voice.
Cochabamba 3Cochabamba 3
Cochabamba 3

Cochabambas lagoon.
Claire with Jesus 3Claire with Jesus 3
Claire with Jesus 3

This photo kind of gives away how he did the trick with the loafs and the fishes.
Claire with Jesus 4Claire with Jesus 4
Claire with Jesus 4

This photo kind of gives away how he did the trick with the loafs and the fishes.
Blurry green blobBlurry green blob
Blurry green blob

The green blob in the middle above the pretty flowers is a humming bird that hung about in the courtyard of our hotel. photo never came out to well but its something better than a photo of a crappy statue.


Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 80; dbt: 0.131s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb