Background: Bolivia, named after independence fighter Simon BOLIVAR, broke away from Spanish rule in 1825; much of its subsequent history has consisted of a series of nearly 200 coups and counter-coups. Comparatively democratic civilian rule was established in 1982, but leaders have faced difficult problems of deep-seated poverty, social unrest, and illegal drug production. Current goals include attracting foreign investment, strengthening the educational system, resolving disputes with coca growers over Bolivia's counterdrug efforts, and waging an anticorruption campaign.
Blogs from Cochabamba
Latest Blogs from Cochabamba
- September 21st 2013 Buses, trains, blocked roads
by Words: 1067 Photos: 0
- September 13th 2013 Cochabamba - Parc Torotoro
by Words: 1195 Photos: 136
- April 26th 2013 trip to GAlapagos
by Words: 60 Photos: 0
- January 30th 2013 Bolivian family vacation
by Words: 3715 Photos: 147
- December 24th 2012 Christmas in Bolivia
by Words: 699 Photos: 2
- December 22nd 2012 “The party has arrived”
by Words: 1991 Photos: 17
- December 21st 2012 Day 20: The end of the world
by Words: 615 Photos: 29
- December 21st 2012 Summing up the journey.
by Words: 189 Photos: 0
- December 15th 2012 Bolivians can drink… A LOT!
by Words: 2172 Photos: 20
- December 9th 2012 Christmas during summer...
by Words: 1330 Photos: 11
- December 1st 2012 Living a miner's life
by Words: 2350 Photos: 9
- December 1st 2012 the car
by Words: 84 Photos: 7
- November 29th 2012 pre-trip
by Words: 50 Photos: 0
- November 26th 2012 Goodbye Peru, Hello Bolivia
by Words: 491 Photos: 22
- November 24th 2012 Gringa car babes!
by Words: 751 Photos: 10
- November 22nd 2012 Women beating each other up and other craziness in La Paz!
by Words: 2207 Photos: 30
- November 12th 2012 Oh Bolivia, always surprising me!
by Words: 1266 Photos: 8
- November 3rd 2012 Nothing goes smoothly in Bolivia
by Words: 1439 Photos: 33
- October 25th 2012 Visiting the tallest Cristo in the world!
by Words: 1525 Photos: 22
- October 23rd 2012 How I almost melted in the jungle
by Words: 2028 Photos: 9