El Calafate


Advertisement
Published: June 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

El Calafate / Perito Moreno


See some movies associated with this blog

After a week in Ushuaia, we took what will be our last flight in a long time, onwards to El Calafate and Glaciers National Park, natural treasure which was declared Patrimony of Humankind by UNESCO in 1981.

El Calafate is still a small town (we say "still" since, due to demand, it continues to grow, goodness knows what it will be like in a few years). Although some 50 miles from the Park, it is the nearest town to it. This means it depends pretty much entirely on tourism, so you can imagine that they squeeze you like a lemon.

We had already been warned more than once that the prices are ridiculously higher in this place, and it was no exaggeration. So we decided that it was the perfect excuse to spend the next 3 nights trying out the spanking new tent we bought ourselves in Ushuaia.

The town is located by the shores of Lago Argentino, which is the largest lake in Argentina and third largest in South America. It has a surface area of around 600 square miles, it is 37 miles long and up to 12 miles wide. It's 600 feet above
Landing in El Calafate / Aterrizando en El CalafateLanding in El Calafate / Aterrizando en El CalafateLanding in El Calafate / Aterrizando en El Calafate

The water IS that milky colour because it´s glacial melt water. In fact they call it "glacial milk" ********** El agua realmente ES de ese color porque es agua de deshielo de los glaciares. De hecho la llaman "leche glacial"
sea level and it's between 100 and 3,300 feet deep.

Of the few attractions in town, one is an ecological reserve with a great variety of birds. After our Buenos Aires erm... "experience" of its ecological reserve we were a bit wary, but the temperature was much more pleasant so we decided to go for it. Aside from a flock of pink flamingos and many other birds that we could not name, what caught our attention was a hawk (or similar, any bird watchers out there that can tell us what it is?) that kept coming for us every time we stopped to look at the other birds in the lagoon. At first we thought it was probably our imagination, until it became more and more evident that indeed it was flying straight towards us and was soon dive-bombing on us, without actually touching us, but in any case the technique was effective because it made us duck to avoid it time and time again.

It kept doing it for more than half an hour, until we got tired and continued with our walk. It seemed to us it may have been a mother incubating eggs or with
Before the attack / Antes del ataqueBefore the attack / Antes del ataqueBefore the attack / Antes del ataque

A male Cinereous Harrier (Circus cinereus) - thanks to Al for sending us the name! (see comment below) ********** Un Gavilán ceniciento (Circus cinereus), gracias a Al por mandarnos el nombre en un comentario
chicks, since every so often it would settle down, always on the same spot. There were more hawks but none of the others came for us, they prefered to attack other smaller birds that probably looked a lot tastier than us.

Outside town, the main attraction are the glaciers in the national park as we mentioned before. We visited the park twice, on the first day we jumped aboard a catamaran which seemed a bit pricey, but we were later glad to have done it because the views were impressive. We do not know what impressed us more, whether it was the glaciers or the enormous icebergs that float on the lake after falling off the them.

Not sure whether it can be appreciated properly in the photos, but these pieces of ice are as large as a small island, many of them way bigger than a house, a fact which is still more impressive considering that (if you remember your school lessons) we can only see between 10 and 15% of their whole bulk, the rest is underwater. They are generally white, but some are of a surprisingly intense blue. If, like us, you are curious to know why this happens, this is the explanation that we were given: The icebergs that are mainly white are that way because they have thousands of tiny air bubbles trapped inside them which reflect back all the colours of the spectrum, which combine into white. Then there are others without bubbles, that is, the ice has been under much greater pressure (this ice comes from deeper layers in the glacier and can be up to 10,000 years old). Still the light passes through them but the lack of air (and therefore the lack of reflective surfaces) means all the colours (weaker wavelengths of light) except blue get filtered out, and hence their appearance. So, the greater the pressure, the more intense the blue colour. And that´s your Science lesson of the day.

Most of the icebergs that are seen in the lake have come off the Upsala Glacier, but also off Perito Moreno, and some drift all the way down Lago Argentino until they arrive at El Calafate, some 60 miles away!

The great majority of glaciers in the park have been named after scientists who studied in the area or had some kind of influence. Upsala Glacier (name of the Swedish city whose University sponsored the first glacial study in the region in 1908) is the biggest one, not only in the park but also in all of South America. It has two terminal "tongues" of around 2.5 miles width each (only one of which goes into the lake), but its surface spreads over a huge 345 square miles and it's a whopping 37 miles long (same distance as London to Stanstead Airport). The height of the front is approximately 200 feet above the level of the water.

We could only appreciate it from a distance of 3 miles due to the great amount of icebergs that had come off in the last 48 hours - the boat could not negotiate them. Another smaller but no less impressive glacier (in fact more impressive because we could get a lot closer to it) is Spegazzini Glacier (named after the Italian botanist who carried out the first studies of flora in the region). It is around 15 miles long and almost 1 mile wide, but its main characteristic is the height of its front, between 260 and 425 feet high (that's 100 feet higher than Big Ben), which makes it the highest glacier in the national park. Watching it from the catamaran, looking up, it looks more imposing still.

After admiring this glacier we disembarked for lunch and after a stroll through a forest of lengas we arrived at Laguna Onelli, with hundreds of icebergs floating on its surface; these come off the glacier that bears the same name. This spot can only be reached in the catamaran, and as such is an oasis of beauty and tranquillity; we only had one hour to enjoy it but wished we could have stayed all day. As you can see in the photo, the icebergs are much smaller, but the place is so pretty you feel like you've just stepped into a postcard.

The following day we went to meet the park’s favourite child, that is the Perito Moreno Glacier. It was named after Francisco Moreno ('perito' means 'expert' in Spanish), Argentinean explorer and naturalist who was designated "expert of the commission of limits between Argentina and Chile" for his knowledge of the Southern Andean region.

As we mentioned before, it is not the biggest glacier in the park (covering 90 square miles, 3 miles wide and
Iceberg 1 / Témpano 1Iceberg 1 / Témpano 1Iceberg 1 / Témpano 1

Bigger than a house, hard to appreciate the size from a photo ********** Más grande que una casa, el tamaño es dificil de apreciar en una foto
about 200-230 feet high), but it is the most impressive, thanks to the fact that it advances towards the Peninsula de Magallanes, where several platforms have been erected, allowing you to enjoy it from a short distance.

One of the most important characteristics of this glacier is that it is considered to be in equilibrium, that is, not receding, unlike the vast majority of the glaciers on the planet (mainly, they say, because of global warming). It advances about 2 meters per day but loses about the same amount with icebergs constantly coming off its front.

Another peculiarity is the phenomenon that they call "the Perito Moreno’s rupture". This is what happens: the glacier advances on the Lago Argentino until it touches the Peninsula de Magallanes, thus closing the passage of the water of the "Rico" arm of the lake (to the left of the peninsula). With time, the level of the water raises and the pressure exerted on the ice "drills" a hole through the glacier and an ice tunnel is formed which allows the water to flow to the right again. Little by little the "bridge" over the tunnel starts melting, until the weight of the ice is so great that it triggers a massive collapse that just a few lucky sods get the chance to witness, since this cycle takes several years to repeat itself.

During the last century the cycle repeated itself 16 times, but the last one waited for 16 years, from 1988 until it happened again in March 2004. Nevertheless, in the last 2 years it has advanced so much that they think the next collapse may well happen this summer, as the ice is now touching the peninsula again and the water is beginning to rise on the far side of the ice dam (see photo).

A piece of advice which we would give to anyone who visits this place is to avoid going through an agency, because you get very limited time to spend by the glacier. Ideally, it is best to rent a car, although certainly more expensive, but if you like to take your time, like we do, it will be worth the extra money. Another option is to camp in the park, although the nearest campsite is 4 miles from the glacier (another reason why a car would come in handy). Unfortunately, we could not
Notro (fire bush) flower / Flor del NotroNotro (fire bush) flower / Flor del NotroNotro (fire bush) flower / Flor del Notro

Typical Patagonian bush ********** Arbusto típico de Patagonia
do it since they ban camping every 3 years to give the forest a chance to recover, and we happened to arrive in this third year.

We probably have said this before about other places, but this is yet another wonderful experience which we would heartily recommend to anyone. Standing in front of these icy giants is not just a pleasure for the eyes, but for the ears as well. Did you know they actually talk to you? From time to time, a piece of ice will crack, and a mighty echoing sound like a gunshot fills the air. And when the ice crashes to the lake, you would think you're in the middle of a thunderstorm. Absolutely superb.

Our mission in El Calafate fulfilled, the only thing left to do was for Maria to have a callus removed from the sole of her foot which was stopping her from walking comfortably. We asked for a podiatrist in this one horse town and were somewhat surprised to be sent around the corner to the local hairdresser's. While we waited for her to finish shaving a head, Mark started going on about how she looked like a witch and he was sure she was going to get a few amulets out, burn some herbs, chant a spell then prescribe leeches, but no, she actually had some proper pedicurist tools which alleviated the pain no end.

And with that we left for El Chaltén the following day, about 125 miles to the north, to start a 3 day long trek. But this is another story...


**********************************************************************

Ver películas asociadas con este blog

Después de una semana en Ushuaia, tomamos el que será nuestro último vuelo en mucho tiempo, de camino a El Calafate y el Parque Nacional Los Glaciares, tesoro natural declarado Patrimonio de la Humanidad por la UNESCO en 1981.

El Calafate es un pueblo aún pequeño (digo "aún" ya que debido a la demanda sigue creciendo, a saber cómo será dentro de unos años). Aunque está a 80 kms del Parque de los glaciares, es la localidad más cercana al mismo. Esto lo hace depender muchísimo del turismo, con lo que os podéis imaginar que te exprimen como un limón. Ya nos advirtieron en más de un sitio que aquí los precios se disparan vertiginosamente, y no nos exageraron. Por lo que decidimos que era la excusa
perfecta para pasar las 3 noches siguientes estrenando la tienda de campaña que nos habíamos comprado en Ushuaia.

El pueblo está situado a orillas del Lago Argentino, que es el más grande de Argentina y el tercero de Sudamérica. Su superficie es de 1500 km2, mide 60 kms de largo y hasta 20 kms de ancho. Esta a 185 m. sobre el nivel del mar, y su profundidad oscila entre los 35 y los 1,000 metros.

De las pocas atracciones que hay en el pueblo, una es una reserva ecológica con gran variedad de aves. Después de nuestra "experiencia" en Buenos Aires teníamos nuestras dudas, pero la temperatura era mucho más agradable así que nos animamos. Aparte de una bandada de flamencos rosas y muchos otros pájaros que no sabríamos nombrar, lo que más nos llamó la atención fue un halcón (o similar) que cuando nos paramos a observar a otros pájaros que había en la laguna parecía que venía a ahuyentarnos. Al principio pensamos que era imaginación nuestra, hasta que se hizo cada vez más evidente que no, que efectivamente volaba derecho hacia nosotros y luego se tiraba en picado, sin llegar a tocarnos, pero de todas
Spongy iceberg in front of Upsala / Témpano esponjoso delante del UpsalaSpongy iceberg in front of Upsala / Témpano esponjoso delante del UpsalaSpongy iceberg in front of Upsala / Témpano esponjoso delante del Upsala

This is one of the many icebergs that stopped us from getting any closer to the glacier (you can just see it about 3 miles away in the background) ********** Este es uno de los muchos témpanos que nos impidieron acercarnos más al glaciar(podéis verlo a unos 5km al fondo)
formas la técnica era efectiva pues nos hizo esquivarle una y otra vez. Estuvo haciéndolo más de media hora, hasta que nos cansamos y continuamos con el paseo. Nos pareció que debía ser una madre incubando o con polluelos pues de vez en cuando se posaba unos minutos, siempre en el mismo punto. Con él había varios más pero ningún otro vino a por nosotros, más bien a por otros pájaros más pequeños que debían parecer más comestibles.

Y fuera del pueblo la atracción principal (y única, en más de un sentido) son los glaciares del parque nacional como mencioné antes. Visitamos el parque dos días, el primero hicimos un recorrido en catamarán que nos pareció algo caro pero nos lo supieron vender muy bien y luego nos alegramos de haberlo hecho pues las vistas son impresionantes. No sé qué nos impresionó más, si los glaciares o los témpanos que flotan en el lago después de desprenderse de ellos. No sé si se apreciará bien en las fotos, pero estos pedazos de hielo son verdaderas islas flotantes, muchos de ellos más grandes que un chalet de campo, lo que es aún más impresionante considerando que (si os acordáis de
Cool Blue Iceberg / Témpano AzulCool Blue Iceberg / Témpano AzulCool Blue Iceberg / Témpano Azul

The photo has not been digitally enhanced at all, the blue colour was really that intense ********** La foto no ha sido mejorada digitalmente de ninguna manera, el color azul era realmente así de intenso
las lecciones del colegio) lo que vemos es sólo entre el 10 y el 15%, el resto está bajo el agua.

Por lo general son blancos, pero algunos son de un azul intenso sorprendente. Si, como a nosotros, os pica la curiosidad por saber por qué, ésta es la explicación que nos dieron: Los témpanos que son mayormente blancos lo son porque tienen miles de minúsculas burbujas de aire atrapadas en ellos que reflejan todos los colores del espectro, que al combinarse dan lugar al color blanco. Luego hay otros que no tienen burbujas, porque el hielo ha estado sometido a mayor presión (este hielo proviene de capas más profundas del glaciar y puede tener hasta 10,000 años de antigüedad). Estos también dejan pasar la luz, pero la falta de aire en su interior (y por tanto la falta de superficies reflejantes), significa que todos los colores (longitudes de onda más débiles) excepto el azul se filtran, y de ahí su aspecto. De modo que, a mayor presión (o mayor antigüedad) del hielo, más intenso el color azul. Y esta es vuestra lección de ciencias de hoy.

La mayor parte de los témpanos que se ven en el lago se desprenden del Glaciar Upsala, pero también del Perito Moreno, y algunos bajan por el Lago Argentino hasta llegar a El Calafate, ¡a 100 kms de distancia!

La gran mayoría de los glaciares del parque llevan el nombre de científicos que estudiaron en la zona o tuvieron algún tipo de influencia importante. El Glaciar Upsala (nombre de la ciudad sueca cuya Universidad patrocinó el primer estudio glaciológico de la región en 1908) es el más grande no sólo del parque sino de toda Sudamérica. Consta de dos lenguas terminales de aproximadamente 4 kms. de ancho cada una, tiene una superficie de casi 900 km2 y su longitud es de 60 kms (¡como de Madrid a Guadalajara!). La altura del frente es de aproximadamente 60 metros sobre el nivel del agua. Sólo pudimos apreciarlo a unos 5 kms de distancia debido a la gran cantidad de témpanos que se habían desprendido en las últimas 48 horas, el barco no podía negociarlos.

Otro más pequeño pero no menos impresionante (en realidad más impresionante pues nos pudimos acercar mucho más) es el Glaciar Spegazzini (nombre del botánico italiano que realizó los primeros estudios de flora en la región). Mide unos 25 kms de largo y 1,5 kms de ancho, pero lo que le caracteriza es la altura de su frente, entre de 80 y 130 metros (como la Torre de Madrid en la Plaza de España), lo que lo convierte en el glaciar de mayor altura en el parque nacional. Viéndolo desde la cubierta del catamarán, mirando hacia arriba, parece más imponente aún.

Después de admirar este glaciar desembarcamos para comer y después de un paseíllo por un bosque de lengas llegamos a la Laguna Onelli, que lleva el mismo nombre que el glaciar de donde se desprenden los cientos de témpanos que se encuentran flotando a lo largo de toda su superficie. Este rincón, al no poder ser alcanzado de ninguna otra manera que con el catamarán, es un oasis de belleza y tranquilidad, sólo tuvimos una hora para disfrutarlo pero deseamos haber tenido todo un día. Como veis en la foto los témpanos son mucho más pequeños pero a uno le parece haberse metido en una postal.

Al día siguiente fuimos a conocer al niño predilecto de parque, que es el Glaciar Perito Moreno (por Francisco Moreno, explorador y naturalista argentino que fue designado "perito de la comisión de límites entre Argentina y Chile" por sus conocimientos acerca de la región andina austral). No es cómo comenté antes el más grande (230 km2, 5 kms de ancho y unos 60-70 metros de altura), pero sí el más vistoso, pues gracias a que avanza hasta la Península de Magallanes, se han erigido en ésta varias plataformas desde donde se le puede admirar a placer y a corta distancia.

Una de las características más importantes de este glaciar es que es uno de los pocos en el mundo que se encuentra en equilibrio (los demás están en retroceso mayormente causado, dicen, por el calentamiento global). Avanza unos 2 metros por día pero pierde otro tanto al desprenderse témpanos de su frente.

Otra peculiaridad es el fenómeno que llaman "la ruptura del Perito Moreno". Lo que ocurre es lo siguiente: el glaciar va avanzando sobre el lago Argentino hasta tocar la Península de Magallanes, cerrando así el paso del agua del brazo "Rico" del lago (a la izquierda de la península). Con el tiempo el nivel del agua va subiendo y la presión que ejerce sobre el hielo va horadando un hueco, se forma un tunel por
Perito Moreno 2Perito Moreno 2Perito Moreno 2

If you can see the people on the platforms it´ll help you appreciate the size of the glacier ********** Si podéis ver la gente en las plataformas os ayudará a apreciar el tamaño del glaciar
el que vuelve a salir el agua hacia la derecha, y poco a poco el "puente" sobre el tunel se va derritiendo, hasta que el peso del hielo es tan grande que provoca un derrumbamiento colosal que sólo unos pocos suertudos tienen la oportunidad de admirar, pues este ciclo tarda varios años en repetirse. Durante el siglo pasado el ciclo se repitió unas 16 veces, pero el último se ha hecho esperar 16 años, desde 1988 hasta que sucedió otra vez en marzo de 2004. Sin embargo, en estos 2 años ha avanzado tanto que creen que el próximo derrumbe pueda suceder este verano, ya que el hielo vuelve a tocar la península y el nivel del agua a la izquierda de esta presa de hielo ya ha empezado a subir (ver foto).

Un consejo que daríamos a quien lo visite es que no lo hagáis por medio de una agencia, pues el tiempo que pasas frente al glaciar te sabe a muy poco. Lo ideal es alquilar un coche, si bien es cierto que sale más caro, si os gusta tomaros vuestro tiempo como a nosotros os merecerá la pena. Otra opción es acampar en el parque, aunque el camping más cercano está a 7 kms del glaciar, por lo que un coche volvería a resultar útil. Por desgracia nosotros no pudimos hacerlo pues cada 3 años prohíben la acampada para darle al bosque un año de descanso, y nos tocó año de descanso.

Probablemente ya hemos dicho lo mismo acerca de otros lugares, pero ésta es otra asombrosa experiencia que de veras recomendaríamos a cualquiera. Observar a estos gigantes de hielo no es sólo un placer para los ojos, sino también para los oídos. ¿Sabías que los glaciares te hablan? De vez en cuando, un pedazo de hielo se agrieta, y el aire se llena de un sonido que más bien parece salido de un arma de fuego. Y cuando se desmenuza, uno mira instintivamente al cielo pues cree que lo que oye son truenos. Fantástico.

Cumplida nuestra misión en El Calafate, sólo quedó que me quitasen un callo que llevaba varios días molestándome en la planta del pie, y que, a falta de podólogo en el pueblo, tuvo que ser la peluquera quien lo hiciese. Mientras esperábamos a que acabase de rapar una cabeza, Mark se puso a decir que por la pinta que
Perito Moreno 4Perito Moreno 4Perito Moreno 4

We were hoping this humongous piece of ice would break off but we didn´t get lucky ********** Teníamos la esperanza de que este pedazo gigantesco se desprendiera pero no hubo suerte
tenía seguro que sacaría unos amuletos, quemaría unas hierbas, echaría unos cánticos y prescribiría sanguijuelas. Pero no, lo hizo con implementos de pedicura en condiciones y me alivió una barbaridad.

Y así al día siguiente nos dirigimos hacia El Chaltén, unos 200 kms al norte, para emprender 3 días de caminata. Pero esto es ya otra historia...


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Perito Moreno Ice DamPerito Moreno Ice Dam
Perito Moreno Ice Dam

The water level is constantly rising to the left of the Ice Dam ********** El nivel del agua sube constantemente a la izquierda de la presa de hielo
Anybody hungry / ¿Tienes hambre?Anybody hungry / ¿Tienes hambre?
Anybody hungry / ¿Tienes hambre?

It's amazing what types of milk they use for Helado (icecream) around here / Este es un chiste para los ingleses, "tit" significa teta, por mucho que le insistí que el nombre es en realidad "Tito", Mark aún quería entrar a preguntarles qué tipo de leche utilizan para la elaboración


8th January 2006

Nop! I can't work it out (or imagine it!!)... Is that a traveller's beard that I see or just a trick of the light?! How's about a close-up, Mr Mears!!
9th January 2006

Bird id
Hi Mark, glad you're having such a good time. The bird looks like a Swainson's Hawk, which winters in Argentina.
16th October 2007

It's a Cinereous Harrier
The hawk attacking Mark is a male Cinereous Harrier (Circus cinereus), presumably defending a nearby female on the nest.

Tot: 0.407s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 23; qc: 115; dbt: 0.1081s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.8mb