Walking on the Glacier


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Chaltén
April 22nd 2006
Published: April 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

We saw a poster on ice trekking and ice climbing in our hostel and we decided to give it a try! But then we had to first trek for 3 hours, traverse across a river and trek for another 1.5hr to get to the glacier. Then after ice trekking and ice climbing, we´ll take the same way back.
Guess the chance of walking on the glacier is just too tempting that we decided to still go for it despite having returned from our 2 camping trip with blisters and aches the day before.

Had to start trekking before the sun rise. The first part of the trek was pretty steep and the ang mos in our group walk so fast that we were chasing after their footsteps. Then, we had to traverse over a 30m wide river before continuing to climb up another forest to get to Glacier Torre.

After walking for almost 5hours, we finally reached the glacier and put on our crampons to start ice trekking. We walked like elephants, stomping our feet hard onto the ice to get a firm grip, legs apart in case we tripped on our own crampons. The guides brought us around, showing us the cracks and holes on the ice. It was really amazing, esp after seeing the so many glaciers from far, and now finally stepping onto one. The guides found a suitable ice wall and we all got to try ice climbing, something that I´ve always wanted to try. Must have looked really clumsy on the wall but was really fun!

After achieving the KPIs for the day, the dreadful part is to rush back to town before sun sets. But then, with all the memorable experience we had, we still walked as fast as we could back to town for a proper meal, a hot shower and to rest our tired body.



Advertisement



22nd April 2006

Ice diving
Thanks for the exciting images .. they are inspirational for me. I'm becoming very involved in scuba diving and hope to advance to .. ice diving someday .. the Southern hemisphere is merely a hop skip and a jump away :)

Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0794s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb