Mel and Andy´s at the Andes(not far off anyway)


Advertisement
Published: October 15th 2005
Edit Blog Post

I want to ride my bicycle!I want to ride my bicycle!I want to ride my bicycle!

Ever tried riding a bike through sand? Well it´s not easy!
San Augustin is in the middle of no where (again). It´s landscape is very dry, desert with mountains. We like it it´s very friendly. On the coach we went through all the little mountain villages and they live very poorly, here the houses ae not much more than huts.

We woke up nice and refreshed so we hired 2 bikes from the hostel, Campo Base. We were told to go to a little village called La Madajita in the mountains(searching again, oh dear), so we set off.
First we found a nice lake surrounded by cactus and palm trees.
Our ride through the mountains was lovely if not hard going! We rode through streams, thick sand, rocky tracks all while the sun was beating down on us.
After hours we came to a fork in the track we went right for about half an hour then went back and went left for longer. We saw local cowboys hearding their goats on a horse and a donkey.
We came across a tiny village (about 12 shacks and a church) this place was after the place we were looking for according to the map! We found a shady spot on some rocks
San Augustin LakeSan Augustin LakeSan Augustin Lake

This place has not had rain for 7 years.
to have our lunch we prepared. We then decided to turn back as the wind was getting up and so was Melissa! As we headed back we saw a mini whirl wind in the sand, cool.

Got back near to town and bumped into an aussie who had spotted us the night b4 in the restaurant. He stopped us and asked if we were english, he was so pleased, he talked to us for an hour!! He was trying to find some ancient indian drawings which we had also passed without seeing. We later found out he didn´t find them either. The maps, directions and information in south america are pretty dodgy.

Got back to the hostel did our hand washing, learn a bit of spanish, relaxed. For tea we had our left over pizza that we took home from the restaraunt last night (free dinner!) Bumped into the aussie again on our evening stroll who talked to us again for about an hour! We left when we both couldn´t stop yawning, bless him. Good night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.292s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 29; qc: 140; dbt: 0.153s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb