Lakes, Mountains and Hippies / Lagos, Montañas y Hippies


Advertisement
Published: February 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Bariloche


After our long illnesses which put our schedule back by about 3 weeks, we (at last!) set out to start exploring the Argentinian Lake District.

This is actually shared with Chile, as it sits on both sides of the border, and wherever you go along its 210 mile stretch you'll be presented with absolutely stunning scenery - mountains, forests, rivers, snow-capped volcanoes, colourful villages, and, surprise, surprise, lots and lots of lakes.

The region is normally referred to as if there were two separate ones, i.e. the "Northern" and "Southern" Lakes. The Southern Lakes are those in and around the Glaciers N.P. (remember this page? El Calafate). The ones around and north of Bariloche are the Northern Lakes.

The city's full name is San Carlos de Bariloche, derived from "Vuriloche", which was one of the tribes that used to live in the area. The first thing that strikes you when you arrive in Bariloche is that some of the buildings look like they belong in the Alps rather than near the Andes, and seeing lots of people parading their St Bernards trying to get you to pay them for a picture with the dogs certainly seemed weird. Then we
Bariloche: Catedral (Cathedral)Bariloche: Catedral (Cathedral)Bariloche: Catedral (Cathedral)

Was only built in 1946 ********** Sólo data de 1946
found out that all this did have a logical explanation...

Barichole started off as a mountaineers village, most of them foreigners - in fact the majority of its current 100,000 inhabitants are the descendants of Swiss, Germans, Austrians and Italians who settled in this area, which is the reason why the city has the aspect of an alpine town. And hence the St Bernards too, which you'd normally pictures rescuing lost or injured mountaineers rather than posing for photographs.

The city is located within the Nahuel Huapi National Park, which is the oldest N.P. in Argentina. It was created thanks to the generosity of Francisco Pascasio "Perito" Moreno, to whom the government presented with several thousand acres of land wherever he wanted, as a thank you for his work in defining the Chilean-Argentinian border (and which favoured the Argentinians). He chose this place but instead of keeping it for himself, he decided to donate it back to the country, on the condition that the government would turn it into a protected national park for the enjoyment of future generations.

Nahuel Huapi (mapuche word which means "Island of the Tiger") is also the name of the biggest lake in the area (Bariloche was built by its shore), with a total surface of some 530 km2 and up to 460m of depth. It has a very irregular shape, with long "arms" that stretch far into land, which is the reason why it can only be explored by boat.

Bariloche is also a very important skiing centre, for those of you who like the sport, this would also be a great destination for those summer holidays, which would be winter here. And for those of us who prefer to walk, there are also fantastic walks around the city, which can be combined and made to last a few days. If Maria hadn't been limping we would have no doubt gone on one or two at least.

So all in all a great place to visit at any time of the year... we're missing the chocolate shops already... (sigh)

As Maria couldn't walk very far, as soon as the sun shone again we joined organised excursions to take us places instead, and these are the ones we visited...

Cerro Campanario

Actually, we did this on our own - just jumped on a regular bus and then
St Bernards galoreSt Bernards galoreSt Bernards galore

How many St Bernards can you spot? ********** ¿Cuántos San Bernardos puedes ver?
took a chair lift up to the top, easy! It' a hill with 360º views of the area, stunning scenery, unfortunately we went a bit late in the day when the sun was right in front of the camera so the pictures are a bit washed out, but hopefully you can still appreciate how beautiful the place is. Green mountains and fields, bright blue water... absolutely gorgeous. Although it looks like there are many lakes around, it's only one! Nahuel Huapi, the one with the many "arms" as mentioned above, and a few islands dotted along it.

From there we took the bus again to the next viewpoint - Puerto Pañuelo, the port where boats leave from to take you on day trips or on a lake and river crossing to Chile. Also near it is Argentina's most famous hotel, Llao Llao (another mapuche word, it’s an edible fungus that grows on certain trees), complete luxury with water sports, golf course, spa, pool.... all for a mere US$350 per night for a double room. Sadly slightly over our budget, but we will come back again when we're rich.

Ventisquero Negro (Black Glacier)

This was a full day excursion to the base of Cerro Tronador, the highest peak in the National Park. It's on the border with Chile, and it has in fact 3 peaks: Argentine (3.410m), Chilean(3.430m) and International (3.478 msnm). Its name means "thundering mountain", due to the ice constantly coming off its 8 glaciers which make the characteristic noise. The most famous one is the Black Glacier at the bottom, which acquires that colour after dragging down so much rock, dirt and sediment as it slides down the mountain. We loved how some of the small icebergs floating on the lake looked like liquorice allsorts. Yummy!

El Bolsón

Another full day excursion which turned out to be a day out with a bunch of OAPs... no offence to any OAPs reading this, but judge for yourselves and let us know if the "activities" programmed are not of "that sort"... trouble is, we were supposed to go on a day trip organised by the hostel, but they decided to tell us at 10.30pm the night before that the trip had been cancelled due to lack of interest.... gits!!! Too late to organise the trip with an external agency, so the next day out of desperation we went with whoever we could find available at 8am. Hence the lack of options...

Anyway, El Bolsón is a village 126 km south of Bariloche, situated in a fertile valley surrounded by mountains where a group of hippies created an ideological community in the 70s. They are still around, selling handicrafts, beer, jams etc, all home and hand-made, 3 times a week in a huge market in the middle of the town. This was what we came for and it was quite interesting, at least for Maria, who likes this kind of stuff. Mark was a little less excited about it... though he did enjoy the pies!

The other "thrills of the day" included a visit to a trout farm, a fruit and jam producing plant (including jam tasting!) and the local brewery. All, of course, at a very slow pace. Hmmmm.... We only had a couple of hours to see Bolson, but plenty of time for all the other "events". I want my money back!!!

Puerto Blest

This was our third and last day trip from Bariloche. This is also part of the lake and river crossing from Chile, which we would have done if it didn't cost a small fortune... must be amazing though!

First we were taken by coach to Puerto Pañuelo to catch the boat which would take us to Puerto Blest (at the end of one of the "arms" of the lake). On the way there the boat went past an island, "Centinela", where a simple white cross marks the place where Francisco P Moreno is buried, and the captain blew the horn three times, as a salute and sign of respect towards the person who many consider to be the "father" of Argentinian National Parks.

The highlight of this boat trip is one of nature's curiosities - to see a pea-green river (Rio Frias) join a sky-blue lake (Nahuel Huapi). After having lunch in the only building in Puerto Blest (a hotel-restaurant), a short bus ride took us along the river to the Lago Frias, a lake that's just as green as the river that starts in it. Here we jumped on another boat which travelled right down the border crossing, with Argentian mountains to the left and Chilean ones to the right.

And with that we had to say goodbye to Bariloche, a bit
Puerto PañueloPuerto PañueloPuerto Pañuelo

Hotel Llao Llao in the background ********** El Hotel Llao Llao al fondo
sad, but we were glad we weren’t leaving the Lake District behind just yet…

*****************************************************

Una vez que empezamos a recuperarnos de nuestros achaques que nos han retrasado los planes unas 3 semanas, por fín pudimos salir a explorar la región.

Bariloche se encuentra dentro del Distrito de Los Lagos, que está compartido con Chile, al encontrarse a caballo entre los dos países. Donde quiera que uno vaya a lo largo de sus 339 kilómetros de extensión se verá obsequiado con paisajes de increíble belleza - montañas, bosques, ríos, volcanes cubiertos de nieve, pueblos pintorescos, y, qué sorpresa, montones y montones de lagos.

Normalmente a la región alrededor de Bariloche y hace el norte se le conoce como los “lagos del norte”, y a los que están por el parque de los glaciares (¿os acordáis de esta página? El Calafate), como los “lagos del sur”.

El nombre completo de la ciudad es San Carlos de Bariloche, un derivado de “Vuriloche”, denominación de una de las tribus que habitaban en la zona. Lo primero que sorprende al visitante cuando llega a Bariloche es que algunos de los edificios parecen que estarían más a tono en los
Alpes, y no cerca de los Andes; y el ver montones de gente paseando a sus San Bernardos intentando pescar a algún turista que se quiera fotografiar con el chucho, resulta una imagen algo extraña para el lugar.

Pero más tarde descubrimos que todo esto tenía una explicación lógica... Barichole comenzó siendo una comarca de montañeros, principalmente extranjeros - de hecho la mayoría de sus 100.000 habitantes actuales son descendientes de los suizos, alemanes, austriacos e italianos que se instalaron aquí, razón por la que la ciudad tiene el aspecto de una población alpina. Y por tanto los San Bernardos, que normalmente uno se imagina rescatando montañeros perdidos o en apuros que posando para fotos.

La ciudad está ubicada dentro del Parque Nacional Nahuel Huapi, que es el más antiguo de Argentina. Fue creado gracias a la generosidad de Francisco Pascasio "Perito" Moreno, a quien se le otorgaron varias hectáreas de terreno donde él eligiera, en agradecimiento al trabajo realizado en la definición de la frontera argentina/chilena (y que favoreció a los argentinos). El escogió este lugar, pero en vez de quedarse las tierras para sí mismo decidió donarlas al pueblo argentino, con la condición de que el estado las convirtiera en parque nacional protegido para el disfrute de generaciones futuras.

Nahuel Huapi (voz mapuche que significa "Isla del Tigre") es también el nombre del lago a orillas del cual se encuentra situado Bariloche. Es el más grande de la zona, con 531 km2 y hasta 460m de profundidad, de forma irregular, con largos "brazos" que se extienden a lo largo de varios kms, por lo que sólo se pueden explorar en barco.

Bariloche es también un importante centro de esquí, para a quien os gusta practicar el deporte, éste también sería un buen destino para esas vacaciones invernales. Y para quien preferimos caminar, los alrededores también ofrecen espléndidos paseos que, combinados, se pueden alargar varios días. Si no hubiese estado coja seguro que hubiésemos hecho al menos un par de ellos.

En resumen, un sitio estupendo para visitar en cualquier época del año... ya estamos echando de menos las tiendas de chocolate... (suspiro).

Como yo no podía caminar mucho, en cuanto salió el sol de nuevo nos apuntamos a varias excursiones programadas para conocer varios sitios que nos habían recomendado, y esto es lo que vimos…

Cerro Campanario

Esta en realidad no fue una excursión programada, más bien nos subimos al autobús de linea y una vez allí la telesilla que te lleva a la cumbre, ¡más fácil imposible! Una vez arriba te encuentras con vistas increíbles a la redonda, me hubiese quedado allí todo el día… desafortunadamente fuimos algo tarde y nos pilló el sol justo encima, con lo que se “metió” en todas las fotos, que a consecuencia han quedado algo “blandas”, pero con todo y eso esperamos que aún podáis apreciar lo bonito que es el sitio. Las montañas, los lagos, la paz que se siente… increíble. Por cierto, aunque parece que hay muchos lagos, en realidad es uno sólo, el Nahuel Huapi como ya hemos mencionado, con sus muchos “brazos” e islas salpicadas por su superficie.

Aquí nos subimos el autobús de nuevo hasta el siguiente punto de interés, Puerto Pañuelo, de donde salen los barcos que te llevan en excursiones de un día y también los que te llevan a Chile. Cerca del puerto está el hotel más famoso de Argentina, el Llao Llao (otra palabra mapuche, es un hongo comestible que crece en cierto árboles), lujo total con deportes acuáticos, campo de golf, balneario, piscina.... todo por US$350 por noche en una habitación doble. Por desgracia se nos salía un poco del presupuesto así que decidimos dejarlo pasar y regresar cuando seamos ricos.

Ventisquero Negro (Black Glacier)

Esta fue una excursión de un día hasta la base del Cerro Tronador, el pico más alto del parque nacional. Está en la frontera con Chile, y tiene en realidad no solo un pico sino 3: el Argentino (los 3.410m), el Chileno (3.430m) y el Internacional (3,478). Su nombre se lo debe al ruido casi constante proveniente de los derrumbes de hielo de sus 8 glaciares. De estos, el más famoso es el Ventisquero Negro en su base, que adquiere este color después de arrastrar rocas, arena y sedimentos a su paso. Nos encantaron algunos de los témpanos más pequeños que flotaban en el lago porque parecían dulces de regaliz. ¡Qué rico!

El Bolsón

Otra excursión que resultó ser un día con un puñado de los de la tercera edad… que no se ofenda nadie de este grupo que pueda estar leyendo esto, lo decimos de broma, pero juzgad por vosotros mismos si las “actividades” programadas para el día no son de las
El BolsónEl BolsónEl Bolsón

"Non-nuclear zone, Pagan Square"
de “ese” tipo…. El problema fue que se supone que íbamos a ir con los del hostel, pero los idiotas decidieron decirnos a las 22.30 la noche anterior que el viaje había sido cancelado por falta de interés.... ¡cretinos! Demasiado tarde organizar nada con una agencia, así que “a la desesperada” nos fuimos con los primeros que encontramos que aún tenían sitio disponible a las 8 de la mañana. De ahí la escasez de opciones…

Bueno, al grano. El Bolsón es una pueblo a 126 kilómetros al sur de Bariloche, situado en un fértil valle rodeado de montañas donde un grupo de hippies creó una “comunidad ideológica” en los 70. Todavía están por aquí, vendiendo artesanías, cerveza, mermelada, etc (todo productos caseros hechos a mano), 3 veces por semana en un mercadillo enorme en el centro del pueblo. A mí me pareció muy interesante, a Mark algo menos pues no le van tanto este tipo de cosas, pero de lo que sí disfrutó fueron las empanadas que se zampó.

Otras “emociones fuertes” del día incluyeron una visita a un criadero de truchas, un huerto de fresas, frambuesas y otras frutas donde también hacen mermelada (¡cata incluida!) y una fábrica de cerveza. Todo a un paso muy lento. Naturalmente. Hmmmm.... ¡Que me devuelvan el dinero!

Puerto Blest

Tercera y última excursión desde Bariloche. Ésta es también parte del cruce de lagos que te lleva hasta Chile, que habríamos hecho si no fuese porque cuesta una pequeña fortuna... al parecer es una preciosidad de viaje

Primero fuimos en autocar hasta Puerto Pañuelo para coger el barco que nos llevaría a Puerto Blest (al final de uno de los "brazos" del lago). De camino hacia allí, el barco navega cerca de la isla "Centinela", donde una sencilla cruz blanca marca el lugar donde está enterrado Francisco P Moreno, y el capitán, a modo de saludo, hace sonar la bocina tres veces, una pequeña muestra de respecto hacia quien muchos consideran el "padre" de los parques nacionales argentinos.

La mayor curiosidad del viaje fue llegar a Puerto Blest y ver la desembocadura del Rio Frias en el lago Nahuel Huapi, pues el primero es verde guisante, y el segundo azul cielo. Después de almorzar en el único edificio en Puerto Blest (un hotel-restaurante), un corto trayecto en autobús a lo largo del río nos llevó al Lago Frias,
Flower / FlorFlower / FlorFlower / Flor

If anybody knows what this flower is please let us know! ********** ¡Si alguien sabe qué flor es esta por favor decídnoslo!
tan verde como como el río que nace en él. Aquí nos subimos a otro barco, y durante la navegación tuvimos Argentina a la izquierda y a Chile a la derecha

Y así dijimos adiós a Bariloche, algo tristes, pero nos alegramos de no dejar atrás la Región de los Lagos todavía… .



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

"Tiuque""Tiuque"
"Tiuque"

Very common bird of prey, you see them in towns coming down to feed on rubbish or food people may have dropped on the floor, just like pigeons! ********** Ave rapaz muy común en algunos sitios, se les ve bajando al suelo a alimentarse de basura o restos de comida que la gente tira al suelo ¡como si fueran palomas!
Lago FriasLago Frias
Lago Frias

It looks blue, but it is very green! Natural border, Chile on the left, Argentina on the right ********** ¡Parece azul, pero es muy verde! Frontera natural, Chile a la izquierda, Argentina a la derecha


21st February 2006

Ummm...
... not much to say today apart from it's absolutely beautiful there!
23rd February 2006

Beats Leeds
Stunning scenery, cheers us all up. Cold and grey here in Yorkshire. Still havent sold my house but when I do, I'm tempted to take off as well....
2nd December 2007

flower of bariloche
i'm not sure what flower it is you have taken a picture of, but i know the family of which it belongs, it's the same family of all the clovers, if you look up the picture of the flower of other clovers is quite similar, it should be a native clover of bariloche, see ya

Tot: 0.69s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 19; qc: 109; dbt: 0.1922s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.7mb