Iguazu!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones » Iguazú National Park
November 19th 2005
Published: June 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Iguazu Falls


See some movies associated with this blog, 1st part
See some movies associated with this blog, 2nd part

We arrived in Foz de Iguazu on Saturday, after a very tiring journey. We´d booked a 24 hour coach for the journey from Rio to Iguazu, which actually took 26.5 hours to arrive. On top of that we had an hour long bus connection from Copacabana to the coach station, which we were told would only take 30 minutes. This meant we arrived at the coach station with 2 whole minutes to spare (N.B. never seen Mark so stressed!! he hates being late...). On top of that, when we arrived at Foz De Iguazu we struggled to get accomodation in the safer areas (i.e. there seemed to be no safe areas) so we headed for the Argentinian side of the border. Taking a total of 3 buses and negotiating the border controls took another 2.5 hours, so all in all it took us 30 hours from door to door!! Looooong journey but more than worth it in the end!

**TIP FOR ANY FELLOW TRAVELLERS THAT MAY READ THIS** Puerto Iguazu in Argentina is much nicer than Foz De Iguazu in Brazil, if anyone is thinking of coming here then you should definitely head for the Argentina side for accomodation. We didn´t like the feel of Foz De Iguazu and our instincts were right. Our landlord told us that he´d read in the papers that there had been 220 murders there this year!! Shocking.

Facts time... Iguazu is a Guarani name (the Guarani Indians were the inhabitants of these parts until the blooming Spaniards came along and took over. Tsk!!) "I" (read "ee") means "big" and "guazu" means "water" - very appropriate! The Iguazu river receives the waters of some 30 rivers before reaching the famous falls. It acts as a natural border between the two countries, with the Falls in the middle. So there are 2 sides of the Falls to visit, each impressive in its own way, though we preferred the Argentinian side (more to see).

There are 275 separate waterfalls at Iguazu Falls, which are 4 times as wide as Niagara (and taller too at 74 metres). They are spread over nearly 2.5 km, and, just above them, the river opens out to a width of 4 km. The average rate of flow is normally around 1,750 cubic meters per second, but during the rainy seasons this can reach... 12,750 cubic meters!!!
The Three Musketeers / Los Tres MosqueterosThe Three Musketeers / Los Tres MosqueterosThe Three Musketeers / Los Tres Mosqueteros

You can just see where the boat (circled) took us for the "baptism" (it actually got even closer) ********** Algo borroso pero en el circulo podreis ver hasta donde nos llevo la barca para el "bautizo" (de hecho se acerco mucho mas)

As for the fauna in the park, there are said to be (amongst many other things!) around 300 different species of butterflies (a very small selection here), plus 5 different breeds of toucan (only saw one, but that´s even more than most people see), monkeys (saw 3 groups), hummingbirds (also lucky enough to see one in the wild!), lizards (saw plenty of these), vultures which overfly the Falls, swifts that nest behind the Falls (impressive to see them dive in), and other beauties like tapirs, poisonous snakes and jaguars (saw none of these - fortunately!). Oh, and a trillion creepy crawlies (shudder).

So, we headed out to the Argentinian side on Monday, after spending Sunday recovering from the trip. We approached a guy from a company called Jungle Explorer, who convinced us that the best way to see the falls for the 1st time was from a boat run by his company. So, we headed for a jeep to take us down to the river, some 8km from the falls and put all our clothing and valuable possesions in a waterproof bag. We shot up the Iguazu River in a speedboat (see picture) including going over some rapids (gentle ones, but still good fun). Further up the river they took us pretty much underneath "The 3 Musketeers" for a "baptism". You get absolutely soaking wet! This was exhilarating and a great way to start the day.

We seem to have arrived in the rainy season, which has provided us with some good and bad luck. The good luck being that we saw the falls when the river was very high and the falls were at their most impressive. The bad luck was that an island on the Argentinian side was unreachable due to the ferry being unable to land, this would have given us a great view of the San Martin Fall, which is amazing to watch (very powerful - see the photo below). Also the centre piece of the park, a walkway up to the "Devil´s Throat", had been washed away a few days earlier after heavy rainfall (I think I remember some heavy rainfall when we were in Rio...). We were a bit gutted to hear this but Mother Nature rules here, so...

On the anecdotal side, we had a bit of a chaotic trip to the Argentinian side, starting with Mark realising he´d left
San Martin Waterfall / Salto San Martin [ARGENTINA]San Martin Waterfall / Salto San Martin [ARGENTINA]San Martin Waterfall / Salto San Martin [ARGENTINA]

(the one in the centre of the photograph ********* el del centro de la foto)
his credit card in the cash point machine (some 8km back up the hill), only when he was sitting in the speed boat emptying his pockets into a waterproof bag. This meant we went back to the cashpoint in the middle of the afternoon to try and get it back, but were told we had to go to the bank in Puerto Iguazu to reclaim it. We were then using the other joint card of Maria´s for a short time until she managed to lose that as well, that´s 2 card lost on the same day, we can´t be left alone!!! Luckily we recovered both of them and no damage was done, but trust us, lesson learnt.

As the place is so awesome (and the day was cut short because of the above fiasco, PLUS we had left the spare batteries for the camera in the hostel - what a day!), we decided to return the next day and enjoy the rest of the park. We walked some 3.5 km through the jungle (here is where we saw the monkeys), down to a small waterfall and lake where you are allowed to swim (only place in the park). The
San Martin Waterfall / Salto San Martin [ARGENTINA]San Martin Waterfall / Salto San Martin [ARGENTINA]San Martin Waterfall / Salto San Martin [ARGENTINA]

The power of the San Martin Waterfall (bottom left) was awesome and the perpetual rainbow was really beautiful ********** La fuerza del salto San Martin (abajo, izquierda) es impresionante y el arcoiris perpetuo una preciosad
day was hot, hot, hot, but the water was freezing! We did take the plunge (literally) though and went in for a quick dip in our swimming cosies (you´ll be happy to see there is no pictorial evidence of this), getting under (ouch) and behind the waterfall. Cool!

To end the day, we joined a guided tour to enjoy the falls again, this time lit only by the full moon above. You may need to change the contrast on your screen to view the photo properly. Funnily enough we managed to bump into our next door neighbours (hello Bob and Alwin if you´re reading this) who are also travelling in South America. As they´ve already been travelling for several weeks and are more experienced than us, we got some useful tips off them - like asking for discounts for just about everything! They´d be proud of us if they´d seen us get 20 pesos off 2 taxi journeys and a free night at the hostel! We´re learning fast!

We also took a tour to the Brazilian side of the falls later in the week, stopping before the main entrance to enjoy an amazing bird life park there. The
Moonlight on the Falls / Cataratas bajo la luna llena [ARGENTINA]Moonlight on the Falls / Cataratas bajo la luna llena [ARGENTINA]Moonlight on the Falls / Cataratas bajo la luna llena [ARGENTINA]

This is almost identical to the previous picture, but by moonlight. Very hard to take, 15 seconds with the shutter open trying not to move... ********** Esta es casi identica a la anterior, pero iluminada por la luna llena. Muy dificil de sacar, 15 minutos con el objetivo abierto intentando no moverse...
highlight here was the hummingbird enclosure, we spent lots of time here just looking at them buzzing past you and stopping to drink every so often. We´re sure you´ve all heard at some point that they are the only birds that can fly backwards etc but to see them in real life is incredible, they really can flap those little wings fast! (around 70 times per second to be precise).

Once at the falls we got fantasic panaromic views of the Argentian falls from the Brasilian side. There is also a great walkway right out to the edge of one of the falls, where you can look over the edge of the platform and see the water falling beneath your feet (whilst getting completely soaked of course, that´s the top picture). The Brazilian Side seems to be a bit more of a money making scheme. There´s a bus that takes you from the main entrance which stops about 3 times before you get to main falls, to let you get off and take advantage of the "optional" activities that are "not covered by the entry ticket to the park". So we spent a little less time here but still
Brasilian walkway / pasarela brasileñaBrasilian walkway / pasarela brasileñaBrasilian walkway / pasarela brasileña

This takes you round the edge of one of the waterfalls and you get completely soaked. The picture at the top of the page was taken from the end of the walkway ********** Esta pasarela te lleva a lo largo de una de las cataratas y te empapas por completo. La primera foto de la pagina nos la sacaron al final de la pasarela.
enjoyed it very much.

The next day we visited the Itaipu Dam, on the Parana river (between Paraguay and Brasil), which is supposed to be "one of the seven wonders of the modern world". For engineers, maybe. Ok, so it is huge and impressive. Agreed. But because you don´t get to see the water pouring out you don´t get to "feel" the power they go on about during a short film they show you before the visit, and the tape on the bus that takes you round. For those of you who like figures and that kind of trivia... Itaipu is a Guarani word that means "the rock that sings". The main dam took 7 years to finish (75 to 82), and 2 more to start producing energy (the last generator coming into operation in 1991). It produces 25%!o(MISSING)f the electricity used in Brazil and 90-95%!i(MISSING)n Paraguay. It is 2,600 metres long, 273 metres wide (at its widest point) and has a maximum height of 196 metres (equivalent to a 65 storey building). There was enough concrete made to build a 25 storey building - every hour. They used enough iron and steel to build 380 Eiffel tours. The water reservoir produces around 4 tons of daily fish and is a huge recreational area providing several water activity centres, beaches etc. 23 million trees were planted to protect the lake and the environment.

Still, compared to the natural wonder that is The Falls, well, no comparison really. Guess we´ve gone on for long enough but the truth is we loved it here! We highly reccommend it - the falls are truly amazing and anyone who ventures to travel this far will be warmly rewarded by the experience of seeing this natural Wonder Of The World.


PS1 - FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO THINK MARIA IS DOING ALL THE HARD WORK (WHY WOULD YOU THINK THAT?!?), THE BLOG IS ACTUALLY A JOINT EFFORT AND WE´RE WRITING ALL THE PAGES TOGETHER! IN FACT, CREDIT WHERE IT´S DUE, MARK HAS WRITTEN PRETTY MUCH ALL OF THIS PAGE BY HIMSELF, ISN´T HE GOOD!

PS2 - BY THE WAY, THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS/MESSAGES, WE LOVE GETTING THEM SO KEEP THEM COMING!


****************************************************


Ver películas asociadas con este blog, 1ª parte
Ver películas asociadas con este blog, 2ª parte

Llegamos a Foz de Iguazú un sábado, después de un viaje largo y pesado desde Río. Nos dijeron que el autocar tardaría entre 22 y 24 horas en llegar a nuestro destino y acabo tardando 26. Luego una vez en Foz nos pareció bastante cutre y hasta peligrosillo (ya nos lo advertía nuestro libro), así que a pesar del cansancio decidimos continuar hasta Puerto Iguazú, en el lado argentino. 3 autobuses, 2 pasos fronterizos y 2.5 horas mas y por fin llegamos a nuestro destino final (después de casi 30 horas). Agotados, pero mereció la pena, como averiguaríamos muy pronto.

Iguazú es una palabra guaraní - los indios guaraníes eran los que vivían aquí hasta que llegamos los españoles y les echamos. Nuñez Cabeza de Vaca fue el primero que avisto las Cataratas y una de ellas lleva su nombre y también hay una efigie de el cerca del pueblo. Que por cierto ha sido pintarrajeada con las palabras “asesino” y “genocida”. Hmmm, temí por un momento que los españoles no fuéramos demasiado populares por aquí pero a mi me han tratado muy bien. Bueno a lo que íbamos. Iguazú en guaraní significa agua (guazu) grande (i). Muy a propósito el nombre. El rió Iguazú, que recibe sus aguas de unos 30 afluyentes, actúa como frontera natural
Hummingbird / ColibríHummingbird / ColibríHummingbird / Colibrí

Cheating, as this was inside a bird park... the feeder might have given this away!? ********** Haciendo trampa, pues es dentro de un aviario... ¡¿pero el comedero nos habrá delatado?!
entre Brasil y Argentina, con las Cataratas en el medio. Axial, hay dos partes que visitar, con sendos parques nacionales y diferentes actividades. Ambas partes son impresionantes, pero a nosotros nos gusto mas el lado argentino (se ven mas cosas).

Las Cataratas están formadas por unos 275 saltos individuales. Son 4 veces más anchas que las del Niagara y también más altas, con 74 metros. Se extienden a lo largo de unos 2,5 km, y por encima de ellas el rió se ensancha a unos 4 km. En cuanto a la cantidad de agua que cae por ellas, el promedio es de unos 1,750 metros cúbicos por segundo, pero cuando llegan las lluvias esto puede aumentar ¡a 12,750!

En cuanto a la fauna del parque, dicen que hay (entre muchas otras cosas) unas 300 especies diferentes de mariposas (una pequeña selección aquí), 5 tipos de tucanes (solo vimos uno, pero incluso eso es mas de lo que ve la mayoría de la gente), monos (vimos 3 grupos), colibríes (solo vimos uno, pero nos dijo un guarda que también tuvimos mucha suerte pues al parecer son super difíciles de avistar), lagartos de varios tamaños (de estos se ven a montones), buitres que sobrevuelan las cataratas, vencejos que anidan detrás de las cascadas (es increíble ver como las atraviesan) y otras monadas como tapires, serpientes venenosas y jaguares (de estos por suerte no vimos ninguno). Y por supuesto como billones de insectos (escalofrío).

Después de pasarnos el domingo recuperándonos del viaje, el lunes nos fuimos al lado argentino. Un chico de una de las empresas que organizan actividades nos convenció de que la mejor forma de avistar las cataratas por primera vez era en una barca que sube por río incluyendo rápidos (suavecitos, pero aun así divertido), así que nos unimos al siguiente grupo. Unos kilómetros en 4x4 por la selva, otros mas por el río incluyendo los rápidos, hasta avistar las cataratas, una vista increíble, y tras colocar todo lo que pudimos en unas bolsas impermeables que te prestan, te acercan hasta “Los 3 Mosqueteros” para lo que llaman “el bautizo”. Te colocan lo mas debajo que pueden, no se ve un pimiento del agua que te cae encima, por supuesto que no queda un pedacito de ti seco, pero es la mar de excitante.

Parece que llegamos en temporada de lluvias, lo que nos trajo buena y mala suerte. Buena porque significo que las cataratas estaban bien cargaditas, y así resultan más espectaculares de ver, pero mala también porque la fuerza de las aguas se llevo por delante la pasarela más impresionante, que te lleva hasta el mismo borde del centro de las cataratas, la llamada “garganta del diablo”. Tampoco se podía desembarcar en la isla de San Martín, donde hay mas pasarelas y desde también se deben obtener vistas increíbles. En fin, madre naturaleza es quien manda aquí así que…

Desde el punto de vista anecdótico, tuvimos un día algo caótico. Mark se dejo su tarjera del cajero en la maquina y solo se dio cuenta cuando íbamos por el río. Al regresar se nos informo que se la había tragado el cajero y no la podríamos recuperar hasta al día siguiente en el banco del pueblo. Y luego voy yo y me las apaño para perder la mía en el supermercado esa misma tarde, ¡¡si es que no se nos puede dejar solos!! Pero bueno, ambas recuperadas sin daños ni perjuicios, pero hemos aprendido la lección.

No solo esto, sino que también nos habíamos dejado las baterías de repuesto de la cámara en la habitación, y por supuesto la que estaba en la cámara se agotó rápido, así que entre unas cosas y otras decidimos acortar el día y regresar al siguiente para acabar del disfrutar del parque.

Este segundo día nos hicimos una caminata por la selva que es cuando vimos a los monos, y bajamos hasta una cascada con laguna que es el único sitio donde esta permitido bañarse. Aunque hacia un calor de mil demonios, el agua estaba congelada, pero aun así nos atrevimos a darnos un chapuzón y refrescarnos debajo y por detrás de la cascada (os alegrara que no hayamos puesto fotos de nuestros cuerpazos en bikini/bañador, que pintas, fotos censuradas).

Ese mismo día nos unimos a otro paseo guiado por los mismos guardas del parque para disfrutar las cataratas de noche, iluminadas únicamente por la luna llena, precioso, pero las fotos prácticamente imposible de sacar, tendréis que ajustar el contraste de vuestras pantallas para apreciar la foto que hemos añadido aquí.

Después de tomarnos un día libre, al siguiente nos acercamos al lado brasileño, visitando un aviario que hay a la entrada del parque. El momento más significativo para nosotros fue el recinto
Mark before the kiss / Mark antes del besoMark before the kiss / Mark antes del besoMark before the kiss / Mark antes del beso

This toad was bigger than one of Mark´s hands (and that IS big!) ********** Este sapo era mas grande que una de las manos de Mark (¡que ya es decir!)
de los colibríes, una verdadera monada verlos pasar zumbando por tu lado y pararse a beber delante de tus narices. Seguro que todos habréis oído aquello de que son los únicos pájaros que pueden volar hacia atrás, etc, pero verles hacerlo delante de ti es una maravilla, y a que velocidad agitan las alas (unas 70 por segundo para ser exactos), ya digo, una verdadera monada.

En cuanto a las cataratas, la mejor parte es una pasarela que te lleva hasta el mismo borde de una de ellas, desde donde puedes mirar hacia abajo viendo el agua caer por debajo de tus pies (mientras te calas hasta la medula, por supuesto). La foto de la cabecera de la página fue sacada al final de esta pasarela. Aunque se obtienen unas vistas magnificas, nos pareció que el lado brasileño esta mas preparado para sacarte dinero, desde la entrada te tienes que coger un autobús que te acerca a las cataratas, no sin antes parar 2 o 3 veces para quien quiera bajarse y hacer cualquiera de las actividades “que no están incluidas en la entrada”. Por eso pasamos menos tiempo aquí pero aun así también lo disfrutamos mucho.

Para
Toucan / TucanToucan / TucanToucan / Tucan

We were VERY lucky to get this close up shot of a toucan, it seemed to be showing off in front of us. ********** Tuvimos mucha suerte de avistar este tucan (son algo timidos), este parecia estar posando para nosotros.
terminar la semana, visitamos al día siguiente la presa de Itaipu, en el río Paraná (entre Paraguay y Brasil), que dicen que es "una de las siete maravillas del mundo moderno". Para los ingenieros, quizás. Vale, sí, es enorme (la hidroeléctrica mas grande del mundo) e impresionante. De acuerdo. Pero como no se puede ver la caída de agua no se consigue "sentir" el poderío del que te hablan a lo largo de una película corta que te muestran antes de la visita (y que luego te vuelven a contar en una grabación en el autobús en el que haces la visita).

Para a quien le gustan los números y este tipo de información…. Itaipu es una palabra guaraní que significa "la roca que canta". La presa principal se tardo 7 años el finalizar (del 75 al 82), y 2 más en producir energía. En total la presa genera el 25%!d(MISSING)e la electricidad usada en Brasil y el 90-95%!d(MISSING)e la de Paraguay. Tiene 2,600 metros de largo, 273 metros de ancho (en su punto más ancho) y una altura máxima de 196 metros (equivalente a un edificio de 65 pisos). Se utilizo suficiente hormigón para construir un
Hungry Coati / Coatí hambrientoHungry Coati / Coatí hambrientoHungry Coati / Coatí hambriento

These cheeky things come out of the woods to beg for food - or steal it from your plate if given half the chance! ********** Estos caraduras salen del bosque a mendigar comida - ¡o robartela si te descuidas un momento!
edificio de 25 pisos ¡cada hora!. Y con el hierro y acero utilizados se podrían haber construido 380 torres Eiffel. El pantano produce alrededor de 4 toneladas de pescado a diario y es un área de recreo enorme en la que se encuentran varios centros de actividades acuáticas, playas etc. Durante la construcción se plantaron 23 millones de árboles para proteger el pantano y el medio ambiente.

Pero bueno, que a pesar de la grandiosidad de la construcción, que queréis que os diga, que ni punto de comparación con las Cataratas.... y creo que nos hemos enrrollado bastante ya, pero es que estamos los dos encantados con el sitio, de verdad que es algo increible de ver y cualquiera que se aventure a viajar hasta aqui se vera recompensado con la experiencia de admirar esta autentica maravilla de la naturaleza.


P.D. Gracias por los mensajes/comentarios que vamos recibiendo, siempre bienvenidos asi que no dejeis de mandarlos!



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



24th November 2005

Mon Dieu!
Oh my word, you two are dangerous when you're let out on your own aren't you?! It's great reading about all these places with the handy travel tips should I ever get the chance to go myself. Thanks for putting so much effort in for us poor unfortunates back home. Lots of love Alison/Spuddy
24th November 2005

Enjoying
Hi, Really enjoying the reviews and FANTASTIC pictures. Keep it up! Love Cathryn and Dan
25th November 2005

Sunshine to the grey days
Thanks for the update - it really is a joy to read about the falls and see those amazing photos. Its freezing literally in Yorkshire at the moment and work is such a headache! Wishing you a safe and happy onward journey....Sue x
28th November 2005

Work is missing you...
You'll no doubt be pleased to hear that Alistair has taken over your mantle - his refreshing blend of wit and cynicism reminds me all too well of your last few weeks! And he sits at your desk. Fantastic pictures though - how are the gadgets doing?, lost anything yet? - you're clearly born travel writers - keep it up! Chris
30th November 2005

Cuanto sabeis!
Cuando volvais del viaje vais a ser una fuente de sabiduria! Cuantas cosas que contar a los nietos! Un besote Mercedes
1st December 2005

hi you two, great reading your journals.some of it a bit worrying for your old aunt.but pleased to hear you are enjoying yourselves.thanks for jims birthday card.take care enjoy and be happy
3rd December 2005

Typical!
Carrying the family mantel I see, losing things!! Great to read your adventures. It helps pass the time sat on this couch. Treasure every minute. xxxx

Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.049s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb