Crossing the Equator


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic
January 16th 2016
Published: January 20th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Saturday January 16th, 2016. Cruising the Atlantic Ocean



Nothing much on this morning. Didn't bother with breakfast. At 11 am we went to the lecture by Sue Walsh called "Wildlife of Brazil's Atlantic Coast". She told us about the birds and sea life that we might expect to see from the ship. After the lecture M went on the treadmill for 4 miles (too hot outside now). After lunch we went to watch the Crossing the Line Ceremony on the deck. We did not actually cross the equator until 5 pm but the traditional crossing ceremony was at 2 pm. Here the crew dress up as King Neptune and his entorage plus a doctor and a couple of nurses to punish wayward passengers and crew by covering them in jelly, egg, cream and other lovely sludge. The captain came and joined in and Ross fluffed his lines again - which made it even funnier. After they have been coated with sludge the victims are shoved in the pool. Ross was pushed in for good measure and his bathing trunks came down as he came out of the pool - so everyone was treated to the sight of his bare bum. When it was all over some crazy woman decided to take a dip in the now filthy pool. After the Crossing the Line we went to see the Egg Heads quiz again. It was during this quiz that we actually did cross the equator. So now we are in the Southern Hemisphere!



After dinner we went to see the show "Out of Africa" which was very good. Lots of Lion King songs and quite a few in Swahili which was pretty impressive. After the show we went on deck to watch Steve Terry perform under the stars. This performance was much better than his first - probably because there were no jokes. His singing was pretty good. We stayed on for the disco for a little while afterwards.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0196s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb