Sydney Xmas and New Year celebrations and Melbourne so far.....


Advertisement
Oceania
January 15th 2010
Published: January 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!

I have been in Oz a month so far and what have we done....well we arrived in Sydney on the 10th of Dec...what a warm welcome...not, especially not after the 5 star service you receive in NZ, makes you remember what a nig city is like...however I knew we would love it really, was just a snotty shuttle driver...so we arrived in Base on Kent street in Sydney, smack bang in the centre of everything, a short walk to the QVB building and all the main shops :-) and a short walk to Circular key, and the rocks, the area which holds the opera house and the harbour bridge...loved the rocks, my favourite part of Sydney!!

While we were in Sydney we climbed the Harbour bridge at twilight, this was just amazing such a pretty city really great views!! Toured the opera house, visited bondi, coogee and Manly beach, taronga zoo, spent xmas day on Bondi beach...in the rain, but got to be done, and did a lot of walking up and down George street!!But Sydney is a great city and I loved it, hectic but great!On boxing day we went to the races, I didn't do too badly for a novice, and was lots of fun!

New Years Eve we spent on Observatory hill, in the rocks area, we arrived at 11am to get the best view, and definitley had this, the firworks were immense and we spent this day/evening with our firneds we met in New Zealand so was a really lovely day! We eventually got home after at 6am after an eventful start to 2010!! We stayed in Sydney until the 2nd of Jan before jumping on the most uncomfortable bus in history for our 12hour bus journey to Melbourne!! But after a long tiring journey we arrived at our friend who we stayed with for 2 nights while looking for an appartment...we then booked into a hostel for two nights in St Kilda and then found an appartment by Friday....we are living in an area called Balaclava...I know, hahaha!! It is such a cute area, only a 9min train journey to the city..nothing is far away in Melbourne it is a great city, not huge or hectic, so much more chilled out than Sydney, I love Sydney bit Melbourne is definitley more Backpacker friendly!!

Since settling in Melbourne we have been on the hunt for jobs...I have a job working in a restaurant in the city, it is great fun and the people I work with are lovely...it is on the river and has great food!!:-) We are heading to Ramsay sreet this weekend to do the Neighbours tour..watch out Carl Kennedy, hehe and then Monday there is a Neighbours quiz we are off to, haha! Got to love Neighbours...any facts would be useful!!Tuesday we are off to the Oz pen to watch some tennis, we have tickets for 7pm in the evening so should be cooler, as Melbourne is experiencing some really hot weather...on Monday it hit 43 and we had the hottest night on record since 1902, that is not nice to sleep in...was envious of your snow on Monday night!!

The weekend just passed we spent time with the girls we met in South America, Sarah and Mel. Mel has a beach house in Portsea about an hour from the city, so we spent time at her house, and on the beach...I had my first ever ride on a jet ski...so much fun...going to try and make a habit of it, hehe! and Saturday evening we went to a the polo after party at Mel's local pub, and met plenty of Australians who found it hilarious to immitate the English accent...two girls even had me believe they were from Surrey...that was after 4 jugs of beer on a hot day though ;-)

We have not been proper tourits yet in Melbourne and have a lot of explring to do...but Dad I found that cake shop on Acland street...the first shop we pulled up too when Nancy and I got stuck on the tram and left Laura behind!!!I was meant to find it though obviously!!

Melbourne is great though and the sun is shining and has been everyday!!!:-)

Hope you are all well and not too snowed in...missing you all lots, loads of love Nik xxxxxxxxxxxx



Advertisement



15th January 2010

great to read your last two entries, always a treat and interesting [jealous]. how many cakes av u eaten on acland st. so far? had another bout of snow the other night, but think this might be the end of it. going out to celebrate matt harps 18th tonite. best of luck job hunting. speak soon. x

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb