Australia Stage 1 - Perth


Advertisement
Oceania
February 10th 2008
Published: October 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Route for Australasia trip


In stock!In stock!In stock!

Trying out the warm welcome of Fremantle
After a gruelling 30-hour flight (comfortable, but gruelling) from London to Hong Kong, to Sydney, then finally to Perth we arrived bleary-eyed around lunchtime on the Thursday - we had left London on Tuesday!
Our hosts, Malcolm ('Sandy') and Ruth ('Ruth') Sandman were there to greet us. Sandy and Ruth are old schoolfriends I have known for 40+ years and they've been pestering Steph and I non-stop to come visit them in Perth ever since they moved here around 20 years ago, Well, in order to shut them up we had to make the effort, right?

Their house is lovely - situated in a delightfully peaceful suburb of Perth, about 15 minutes drive from the main city centre. They have 2 daughters, Laura and Natalie (Laura is away in Europe at present) and a great cocker spaniel called Chester.

Perth is an idyllic place to live. Very warm and with the most beautiful, unspoilt beaches that seem to go on forever (which they actually do!). Soft white sands and crystal-clear turquoise seas create a stunning combination.
If it wasn't for the fact that Perth is so very remote then I think even we would seriously consider moving out here
Bikers!Bikers!Bikers!

Towards the end of our 12-mile cycle ride - note the cityscape of Perth in the background
at some point.

On our first full day, we were taken to Fremantle, which is an older town, with some interesting sights and a great market - it was at the latter that Sandy and Ruth got me my birthday present - an authentic 'Drover' hat (photos to follow)!
Yesterday we went on a 12-mile bike ride along the picturesque Swan River... yes you read that correctly - I went on a 12-mile bike ride!!! And it was great.
To cap it off, we finished the day at a superb restaurant, sitting outside having dinner and watching the sunset.
It is our last full day today before we head off to Sydney. It has been wonderful spending time in Perth with our old friends, who have shown us the most wonderful hospitality in the place they are rightly so very proud of. Natalie also has been so warm and friendly and we are very grateful to them all for getting the start of our trip off to such a memorable beginning. It's going to be very hard to say goodbye and we are both going to miss them very, very much. We'll be back, though!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Our generous hostsOur generous hosts
Our generous hosts

Sandy and Ruth
[sigh][sigh]
[sigh]

The amazing sunset


10th February 2008

12 km bike ride
are you sure mum didn't have to push you the after 1km? :P glad you are having a great time
12th February 2008

Jealous Essex Couple!
So pleased that you have arrived safe and sound down under. Hope the bottom doesn't suffer too much from the bike ride Gary - you might have to get the rubber ring out again!! It is a lovely sunny Tuesday morning in old Blighty but nevertheless we do wish we were with you and Steph. One week down 4 to go - enjoy enjoy (oh yes the days of being 49 are on the slide now so make the most of it!) xxxxxx
16th February 2008

Love your new look - the Stocks suit you!!
Hi Gary and Steph, so glad you're having a wonderful time, enjoy those sunsets!....Have fun in Sydney!!

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb