Milford Sound at long last!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Milford Sound
August 31st 2009
Published: September 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So having been sitting it out in Te Anau trying to get to Milford Sounds Steve and I decided that Monday was the day to move onwards and head back to Queenstown. So I rolled out of bed at 9am and jumped in the shower. On getting back to the dorm Nick asked whether I had checked if the road was open Iconfirmed I hadn't as I was going with the assumption that it was shut however switched on my netbook to check just in case and surprise surprise it was open. Fast movements were then seen around the room from all three corners as Nick, Steve and I ran round gettig ourselves ready to be on the road asap.

Having thrown breakfast down my neck and made a few sandwiches I checked with reception that we could stay a night. This wasn't an issue however we had to move rooms which prompted more running around from the three of us with us all moving in about three trips each

Anyway we were soon on the road with Nick driving us as I had driven the previous day. The weather was still indifferent and rained most of the way to the Holyford tunnel, approx 20km from Milford Sounds and 100km from Te Anau. As we came out of the tunnel we hit the mountains and it then became apparent why there was an avalanche risk as the trees had mostly disappeared and we were left with a very scenic view. We had decided that we would drive straight to Milford Sounds and do the ferry ride and then do the extra stop offs we hadn't done the day before on the way back.

Having parked up we walked into the ferry terminal and we were lucky as one of the cruises left with only a 5 minute wait so we paid up and jumped on. Whilst paying for the cruise the lady behind the desk told us that she had not known them to have as much snow as they have this season in the 15 years she had been working there!

So we jumped on the boat and we set off on our tour. Luck was on our side this Monday as when we were leaving the harbour there was actually blue sky around and you could see the top of Mitre Peak. We had been told by the people who had been on the Saturday that the cloud was too low for you to gain any idea of perspective. As we went further down the fiord the weather did deteriorate and for awhile it became slightly choppy and once again the heavens opened!

I will admit that the boat trip down Milford Sounds was well worth the wait and the views spectacular. Once the boat ride had finished we headed back to the car and wended our way back along the road stopping off at a couple of the stop off points including the Chasm.

So Tuesday morning soon came around and it was time to say our goodbyes to both Nick and the blue rinsed brigade who had caught up with us a few days earlier. Nick was on his way to Christchurch to get his flight home to the UK and the blue rinse brigade were heading to Franz Josef.

That morning I did however manage to pick up a second hitch hiker for the journey to Queenstown courtesy of Steve. Basically the lad had heard Steve on the phone to his girlfriend saying that we were headed to Queentstown so when Steve got off the phone Joe asked if he could have a lift and would pay $15. Steve said he was a hitch hiker too and so pointed Joe in my direction. I agreed on the basis it was extra money in my pocket and made no difference. So we made the journey upto Queenstown however my hitch hiker failed to pay - cheeky bleeder! He got out and I assumed he would give Steve the money and Steve assumed he had paid me so the lad got away with a free lift!

Once installed in the dorm room at the hostel the next decision to be made was where and when to ski.......


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb