Dramatic Milford


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Milford Sound
February 18th 2007
Published: February 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

MagnificentMagnificentMagnificent

Morning in Milford Sound
Out of bed at 5.30am it will take about 2hrs to get to Milford Sound, we passed through farm land initially then passed some huge lakes and alpine scenery. The sun started to come up around 7am and I had to drive through fog for some time.

We arrived about 745am and were promtly eaten alive by sandfly's Ruth especially has bites all over her, by 8.30 there was still no sign of the kayaks so we rang the company who told us to gfo somewhere else which we did. On arrival at the lodge we were then told to go to Deep Basin Rd which again we did and found our guide and the other members of the group.

We saw a Kea in the car park which was a treat, it was then time to put on thermals, life jackets and our kayak skirt which keeps water out of the kayak. At 9 we were on the water which was mirror calm initially, I was steering in the back and Ruth was setting stroke in the front.

It was a nice paddle to start with first to Sinbad's Gully where we spotted a couple of Fur
MagnificentMagnificentMagnificent

Morning in Milford Sound
Seals sunning themselves, it was really great till a couple of stupid yanks paddled right into them, bloody clowns. It was then time to paddle across the Sound to an Underwater Observatory, the lesbian american girls brought a bottle of vodka to bribe the staff and we got a guided tour for nothing which was quite interesting. It was nice to get out and stretch our legs but by now Ruth was getting very tired and I had to do most of the paddling to get us back, it was hard work and I was knackered by the time we got to the beach.

The two american pairs had this anoying habit of crossing my bow all the bloody time which kept ruining our rythm at one stage I nearly lost a hand when they rammed into me. In the end we were out there for more than five hours which is much longer than we should have, but the guide was going ga ga over the lesbian girls and did what ever they wished.

By two we were back on the road with a brief stop at the chasm on the way back to Te Anau about 4.30pm a quick meal then we watched the cricket.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Milford SoundMilford Sound
Milford Sound

Mitre Peak
Milford SoundMilford Sound
Milford Sound

Sea Kyaking
Milford SoundMilford Sound
Milford Sound

Fur seal sunning itself
Milford SoundMilford Sound
Milford Sound

Gushing water


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb