Ice Trekking and a Lost Ring / Caminata sobre Hielo y un Anillo Perdido


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Fox Glacier
April 19th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Queenstown --> Picton


After an action-filled, pocket-draining week in Queenstown, we took a big jump and drove all the way to Glacier country.

We had been driving for a few hours and were in the middle of nowhere when we started to get a strong smell of burning rubber. We stopped the van to investigate, opened the engine cover and were promptly engulfed in a cloud of hallucinogenic smoke coming from a belt. We’d only just recovered from the effects of the gas when the aforementioned belt went “ping” and dropped to the floor with a heart sinking thud. “Oh deary me”, we thought, “we’re in a bit of a pickle now” (OK, the language might’ve been a bit stronger than that, but now that we’re on the front page, we’re trying to keep it clean).

At this stage we didn’t know if it was the fan belt or the alternator belt, so we didn’t know what to do, whether to call a rescue service and pay an arm and a leg for it, or try catching a lift to the nearest village with somebody else to get help. In the end we decided to just try driving the van, keeping a close eye on all the gauges to make sure it didn’t overheat or wear the battery out. As soon as we started the engine, we realised what the belt was for - the power steering! Phew! Whilst this came as a big relief, it also meant the van was seriously heavy to drive, but luckily the belt could easily be replaced in the next town we got to. All’s well that ends well... And since this is the only problem we’ve had with the van, we can’t really complain!

We finally made it to Fox Glacier, a tiny alpine-like village where we stayed for a couple of nights with the sole purpose of going for a guided walk on the glacier that bears the same name. We had wanted to do it in South America, but back then Mark was suffering with a bad knee and Maria was limping on her verruca, so we had been looking forward to this for a long time indeed. We first went to see the glacier “from the bottom up”, it’s very easy to access it as there’s a sealed road that goes pretty much all the way to the base. We were lucky (or would that be unlucky? guess it depends on how much you worry about global warming!) enough to see a big chunk of ice separating from the main glacier and falling into the river with a big splash. One other spectator who was there with us had apparently visited the glacier on 5 previous occasions, but had never seen anything falling off before.

The next day we took a short helicopter flight to the glacier; it’s not meant to be a scenic flight but merely as transport to the “walking area”, but the pilot still flew round to the top end so we could see the massive crevasses and a fairly big waterfall. Fox Glacier is the longest glacier on the West Coast at 13 kms long. Although it’s receded considerably in the last couple of centuries, it has been advancing since 1985. Its nevé (the snow accumulation area at the top) is 36 km2, bigger than Christchurch city! Both Fox and the nearby Franz Josef Glacier are amongst the most accessible glaciers in the world; they are only 11 kms (7 miles) from the Tasman Sea, and they terminate amongst rainforest just 250 metres above sea level. The only other place in the world where this happens is Argentina.

We really enjoyed our long walk on the ice using crampons for the first time, and exploring all the holes, caves and amazing formations. Luckily we managed to stay on our feet the whole time, as the ice can be razor sharp in some places. We also made a new couple of friends, Cris and Liz, also from the UK, who we would see again later in the trip (hello guys!). The next day we went for a walk round Lake Matheson; it’s a beautiful spot with great views of Mt Tasman and Mt Cook, and the perfect reflection of these two peaks in the water means the lake is better known as Mirror Lake. Not surprisingly, this image is found in many postcards and brochures around the country. Later that day we drove a short distance to Franz Josef, a few kilometres away from the glacier of the same name. This village is slightly bigger than Fox Glacier, but still only has around 300 residents! This time we contented ourselves with just walking to the base of the glacier and admiring the imposing wall of ice
FOX GLACIERFOX GLACIERFOX GLACIER

Walking on the ice with Cris and Liz ********* Caminando sobre el hielo con Cris y Liz
looking down on us.

Our next stop was Punakaki and the Pancake Rocks, so called because the look like stacked pancakes. They are 30 million year old limestone formations, and consist of layers of fragments of dead marine creatures overlaid by layers of soft mud and clay. They were formed on the seabed, but earthquakes raised them above sea level, exposing them to wind and rain which have helped to give them the finished look. During high tide, and if the sea is a bit choppy, the waves send water rushing into caverns beneath the rocks, causing huge spouts of water to shoot upwards through the blowholes. Unfortunately we arrived in the afternoon during low tide so it was rather calm and uneventful, but it must be a pretty amazing sight.

With time quickly ebbing away, we drove all the way to the north shores for a spot of sea kayaking; we were also hoping to go swimming with seals, which is apparently more fun than swimming with dolphins as the seals are more inquisitive and come a lot closer. Unfortunately, the season had finished only a few days before and we couldn’t go, gutted!! We did manage
FOX GLACIERFOX GLACIERFOX GLACIER

At the beginning of last century, the glacier covered part of this wall, now it's a few hundred meters up the hill ********* A comienzos del siglo pasado el glaciar cubría parte de esta pared, ahora se encuentra a varios cientos de metros de distancia
to see a group right on the beach in Whanganui Beach, at the very north-west end of the South Island; as usual the older ones were resting whilst the young ones were having a whale of a time playing in a rock pool left by the high tide. They kept chasing one another, diving and somersaulting right out of the water, to the fascination of a group of people that had congregated there and couldn’t get enough of them. They didn’t seem to be even remotely bothered by our presence, it was great! We really liked this corner of the country, other than this small group of people the beach was pretty deserted and so peaceful. We loved seeing the wind moving the sand around and slowly changing the shape of the sand dunes, giving Maria ample opportunity to take some arty pictures.

The next day we visited the Waikoropupu Springs (Pupu Springs for short), one of the largest fresh water springs in the world. The water is beautifully clear here - 62 metres of horizontal visibility make them the clearest fresh water springs in the Southern Hemisphere. It makes for a nice walk as the springs are set in a lovely bush setting, and several informative signs tell you about the fauna, flora and geology of the area.

We followed the visit to the springs with a drive and a short walk around the Abel Tasman National Park shoreline. This is New Zealand's smallest national park, covering an area of just 89 square miles (230 square kms), but one of the most beautiful. Not surprisingly this area is one of the favourite holiday destinations for Kiwis, with its pristine white beaches and clear waters.

This is where we chose to do a bit of kayaking. We had both been kayaking before, but not in the sea (we’re not counting the half hour we lasted in Australia before capsizing the kayak whilst fully dressed), so wanting to make the most of the experience, we went for the full day guided tour option. This included a water taxi to the start point, where we were given a brief instruction on how to use our paddles and how to get out of the kayak quickly should we capsize it. Unlike the one we capsized in Australia, which was just a slightly concave piece of plastic, these were proper double
LAKE MATHESONLAKE MATHESONLAKE MATHESON

Mt Tasman and Mt Cook in the background ********* Mt Tasman y Mt Cook al fondo
kayaks, the ones where you slide into a hole and then cover the hole with a thick waterproof lid that ties around your waist and seals the hole around you so you don’t get water inside (this by the way looks like a stiff skirt when you’re standing and makes you feel rather silly, but it does a good job of keeping you dry).

So once instructed and fully kitted out, we set off to explore the beautiful coastline, including a brief detour to a small island that houses a seal colony. We also saw a solitary blue penguin fishing offshore, but it quickly disappeared under the water. We paddled for a couple of hours before stopping for lunch and then paddled for another two; it was quite hard work in the afternoon as the wind picked up and the sea became a bit choppy, so the kayak didn’t advance as smoothly. Luckily our guide had come prepared, and we linked up with him and the other two kayaks in the group, got a big sail out, and let the wind take us the rest of the way back to the water taxi. Excellent!

It was a very enjoyable day and pretty good exercise for the old bodies - we feared we might not be able to move for two days afterwards, but surprisingly we didn’t suffer from sore muscles at all, even better! However, the day’s enjoyment came at an expensive price, and we’re not talking about the actual cost of the trip… Mark lost his wedding ring, just 5 weeks after getting married; we hope this isn’t a bad sign! We don’t know where or when exactly, but we guess it must have just slipped off his cold, wet finger whilst kayaking, as it was already fairly loose. What a bummer! Maybe a sea bound Gollum will find it in the future, but it’s probably lost forever.

We left the Abel Tasman region and passed through Nelson, a town which had been recommended to us by many Kiwis as an ideal place to live. Although Nelson does look like a nice place, it doesn’t hold much appeal to the passing tourist, as there is little in the way of things to do there other than shopping. After Nelson, we finished our South Island adventure in the Marlborough Sounds, whose fractal like coast has 1/5th of New Zealand coastline. The hills, bays and islands around the Sound are only sparsely populated; access to these remote places is often difficult - some are indeed only accessible by boat. We took a “cruise” on the local postal delivery boat from Picton, the gateway to the North Island, stopping at various locations to drop off packages to the locals (including their weekly shopping) and to give the resident dogs a biscuit.

With that all done, we took a ferry the next morning to continue our adventure in the warmer and more populated North Island.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Después de una semana llena de acción en Queenstown, descargando adrenalina y desangrando el bolsillo, pegamos un buen salto y nos dirigimos a la región de los Glaciares.

Llevábamos varias horas conduciendo y nos encontrábamos en mitad de la nada cuando nos llegó el tufillo inconfundible a goma quemada. Paramos la furgoneta para investigar, abrimos la cubierta del motor e inmediatamente nos vimos envueltos en una nube de humo alucinógena, proveniente de una correa. No habíamos acabado de reponernos de los efectos del gas cuando la susodicha correa hizo “¡ping!" y se cayó al suelo. "Oh, cielos", pensamos, "esto se
PUNAKAIKI, WekaPUNAKAIKI, WekaPUNAKAIKI, Weka

Endemic bird of New Zealand ********* Ave endémica de Nueva Zelanda
pone feo " (¡vale! quizás utilizamos lenguaje algo más fuerte, pero como nos han colocado en primera página, habrá que guardar las apariencias…).

No teníamos muy claro si la correa era la del ventilador o la del alternador o qué, con lo que no sabíamos muy bien qué hacer, si llamar a un servicio de auxilio en carretera y pagar un riñón, o intentar parar un coche que nos llevara al pueblo más cercano y pedir ayuda allí. Al final decidimos arriesgarnos y seguir conduciendo, sin perder de vista los indicadores del salpicadero por si se nos empezaba a recalentar el motor o a descargar la batería. No tuvimos más que arrancar el motor para enterarnos de qué correa se trataba - ¡la de la dirección asistida! ¡¡Uufff!! Aunque fue un alivio, también hizo que la furgoneta pesara una tonelada, pero por suerte pudieron cambiar la correa en el pueblo siguiente. Bien está lo que bien acaba... Y como éste es el único problema que nos ha dado, ¡pues la verdad es que no nos podemos quejar!

Finalmente llegamos a Fox Glacier, un diminuto pueblo de carácter alpino, donde pasamos un par de noches con el único objetivo de ir a dar un paseo sobre el glaciar que lleva el mismo nombre. Ya habíamos querido hacerlo en Sudamérica, pero por allá entonces Mark iba cojeando tras haberse hecho daño en una rodilla y yo iba también a rastras con la puñetera verruga que me salió en la planta del pie, así que llevábamos esperando desde entonces para hacerlo. Primero fuimos a ver el glaciar "de abajo a arriba”; es muy fácil llegar hasta él ya que la carretera llega casi hasta la base. Tuvimos la buena suerte (¿o debería ser la mala suerte? ¡supongo que depende de lo que te preocupe el tema del calentamiento global!) de ver un pedazo de hielo enorme separarse del cuerpo principal y estrellarse en el río. Una espectadora nos comentó que era la quinta vez que había ido al glaciar pero ésta era la primera vez que había visto algo así.

Al día siguiente fuimos a caminar sobre el glaciar. El transporte consiste en un vuelo corto en helicóptero, y aunque no se trata de un vuelo escénico, el piloto aún nos llevó hasta la cima para que pudiéramos ver las enormes grietas que se forman allí arriba, y también vimos una cascada de tamaño considerable. El Glaciar Fox es el más largo de la Costa Oeste, con 13 kilómetros de largo. Aunque ha retrocedido bastante en los últimos dos siglos, ha estado avanzando desde 1985. Su circo (el área de acumulación de nieve), con 36 km2, ¡es más grande que la ciudad de Christchurch! Tanto Fox como el cercano glaciar Franz Josef son dos de los glaciares más accesibles del mundo; sólo se encuentran a 11 kilómetros del Mar de Tasmania, y terminan en un bosque tropical a sólo 250 metros sobre el nivel del mar. El único otro lugar en el mundo donde sucede esto es Argentina.

La verdad es que disfrutamos muchísimo de nuestro largo paseo sobre el hielo, usando crampones por primera vez, y explorando todos los agujeros, cuevas y curiosas formaciones que encontramos a nuestro paso. Por suerte logramos mantener el equilibrio todo el tiempo, y es que en algunos sitios el hielo está afilado como una cuchilla. También hicimos un par de amigos nuevos, Cris y Liz, ingleses también, a quién volveríamos a ver más adelante. Al día siguiente fuimos a dar un paseo al Lago Matheson; es un paraje precioso con vistas de
WHANGANUI BEACHWHANGANUI BEACHWHANGANUI BEACH

Enjoying the baby seals' antics ********* Disfrutando de los juegos de las focas bebé
Mount Tasman y Mount Cook, que se reflejan en el lago formando una escena de postal (y de hecho hay postales y folletos con esta imagen por todo el país). Es este reflejo lo que hace que al lago se le conozca mejor como el Lago del Espejo. Esa tarde nos acercamos a Franz Josef (el pueblo de al lado), a sólo unos kilómetros del glaciar del mismo nombre. Este pueblo es algo más grande que Fox Glacier, ¡pero aún así sólo tiene alrededor de 300 habitantes! Esta vez nos contentamos con dar un paseo hasta la base del glaciar y observar llenos de admiración la imponente pared de hielo.

Nuestra siguiente parada fue Punakaki y las Pancake Rocks (rocas de las tortitas, o panqueques que diría Mafalda), así llamadas porque parecen tortitas apiladas. Son formaciones de 30 millones de años de antigüedad, consisten de capas de piedra caliza alternadas con capas de arcilla. Aunque se formaron en el fondo del mar, varios terremotos las levantaron por encima del nivel de mar, exponiéndolas al viento y la lluvia que han ayudado a darles su aspecto actual. Durante la marea alta, y si el mar está algo agitado, las olas al estrellarse contra las rocas hacen que el agua salga disparada hacia arriba a través de agujeros o “respiraderos” formados en cavernas submarinas. Por desgracia llegamos por la tarde durante la marea baja, y el mar estaba en calma, con lo que nos perdimos el espectáculo, pero por lo que hemos visto en fotos tiene que ser una chulada.

El tiempo que nos quedaba en Nueva Zelanda empezaba a desaparecer rápidamente, por lo que pegamos otro buen salto y nos plantamos de un golpe en la costa norte; aquí teníamos la intención de hacer kayaking, y también queríamos ir a nadar con focas, que es al parecer más divertido que nadar con delfines porque las focas son más curiosas y se acercan mucho más. Por desgracia, al ser ya otoño, habían dejado de hacerlo unos días antes y no pudimos ir, ¡qué chasco! Al menos pudimos ver un grupo en la Playa Whanganui, al extremo noroeste de la Isla Sur; como siempre las más adultas estaban tiradas a la bartola descansando mientras que las más jóvenes se lo estaban pasando bomba jugando en un “piscina” que la marea alta había dejado entre unas rocas. Se perseguían unas a las
WHANGANUI BEACHWHANGANUI BEACHWHANGANUI BEACH

Our footprints on the solitary beach ********* Nuestras huellas en la solitaria playa
otras, zambulléndose y pegando saltos fuera del agua y haciendo piruetas en el aire. Los que nos habíamos congregado allí las mirábamos como hipnotizados sin cansarnos del espectáculo, y ellas iban a lo suyo sin que nuestra presencia pareciera molestarles en lo más mínimo. La verdad es que nos gustó mucho este rinconcito del país; aparte de este pequeño grupo de gente, la playa estaba prácticamente desierta y reinaba una paz indescriptible. Nos encantó simplemente poder observar como el viento al soplar movía la arena, cambiando lentamente la apariencia de las dunas, dándome suficientes oportunidades de sacar alguna que otra foto artística.

Al día siguiente visitamos los Waikoropupu Springs (Manantiales “Pupu” para acortar), unos de los manantiales de agua dulce más grandes del mundo. El agua es increíblemente clara - 62 metros de visibilidad horizontal los convierten en los manantiales de agua dulce más claros del hemisferio sur. Es un paseo agradable, los manantiales están en una zona arbolada, y varios paneles informativos te hablan de la fauna, la flora y la geología de la zona.

Por la tarde fuimos a dar otro paseo (en coche y luego a pie) siguiendo parte de la costa del Parque Nacional
TAKAKA HILL Panoramic View / Vista PanorámicaTAKAKA HILL Panoramic View / Vista PanorámicaTAKAKA HILL Panoramic View / Vista Panorámica

Rain closing in on us ********* Con la lluvia aproximándosenos
Abel Tasman. Es el parque nacional más pequeño de Nueva Zelanda, cubriendo un área de tan sólo 230 km2, pero uno de los más bonitos. No es de extrañar que toda esta zona sea uno de los destinos de vacaciones preferidos de los kiwis, con sus resplandecientes playas blancas y limpias aguas.

Es en este parque nacional donde fuimos a hacer kayaking. Aunque ya lo habíamos hecho antes, nunca lo habíamos hecho en el mar (no contamos la media hora que duramos en Australia antes de volcar el kayak estando completamente vestidos), y queriendo aprovechar al máximo la experiencia, nos apuntamos a una excursión guiada de día completo. Primero nos llevaron en taxi acuático al punto de partida, donde nos dieron una breve instrucción sobre cómo usar los remos y cómo escaparnos del kayak rápidamente si lo volcábamos. A diferencia del que volcamos en Australia, que no era más que un pedazo de plástico birrioso ligeramente cóncavo, estos eran kayaks dobles en condiciones, de esos en los que te metes en un agujero y luego cubres el agujero con una tapa gruesa impermeable que va atada alrededor de tu cintura y sella el agujero a tu alrededor para que el agua no se te meta dentro (esta tapa por cierto parece una falda tiesa cuando te pones de pie y te sientes algo ridículo, pero al menos te mantiene seco).

Una vez instruidos y vestidos apropiadamente para la ocasión, salimos a explorar la costa, incluyendo un breve desvío a una pequeña isla en la que habita una colonia de focas. También vimos un pingüino azul solitario pescando a cierta distancia de la costa, pero desapareció rápido bajo el agua. Estuvimos remando unas dos horas antes de parar para almorzar y luego remamos otras dos; se hizo bastante pesado por la tarde porque se levantó viento, el mar se picó y así no era nada fácil avanzar. Por suerte nuestro guía había venido preparado; nos juntamos con él y los otros dos kayaks del grupo a modo de pelotón, sacamos una vela grande, y dejamos que el viento nos llevara el resto del camino hacia el taxi acuático. ¡Genial!

Lo pasamos muy bien ese día y el ejercicio nos vino muy bien también - temíamos que no nos íbamos a poder mover durante dos días, pero sorprendentemente no sufrimos agujetas, así que encantados. Sin embargo, la diversión nos costó cara, y no nos referimos al coste mismo de la excursión… el querido Mark perdió su alianza, sólo 5 semanas después de la boda; ¡esperamos que no sea una mala señal! No sabemos dónde o cuándo lo perdió exactamente, pero suponemos que se le escurrió del dedo mientras remaba, frío y mojado como estaba, ya que le estaba bastante suelto de todas formas. ¡Qué pena! !Tal vez un Gollum del futuro lo encuentre un día entre la arena, pero lo más seguro es que se haya perdido para siempre.

Dejamos la región de Abel Tasman y pasamos por Nelson, una ciudad que nos habían recomendado muchos Kiwis como el lugar ideal para vivir. Aunque sí que nos pareció un lugar agradable donde vivir, la verdad es que no nos pareció que tuviera suficiente atractivo para nosotros como turistas “de paso”, no hay mucho que hacer aparte de ir de compras, así que continuamos camino hacia los Marlborough Sounds (Estrecho de Marlborough). Las colinas, bahías e islas alrededor del Estrecho están prácticamente despobladas; y las pocas casas que hay no son de fácil acceso - de hecho a algunas sólo se puede llegar en barco. Nos hicimos un "crucero" en el barco que lleva el correo desde Picton (la puerta de salida hacia la Isla del Norte), llevando paquetes a varias localidades (incluyendo la compra de la semana) y repartiendo galletas a los perros que se acercaban a recibirnos agitando la cola entusiasmados.

Y con esto y un bizcocho… dijimos adiós a la Isla Sur, y nos subimos al ferry a la mañana siguiente para continuar nuestra aventura en la Isla Norte, más cálida y mucho más poblada que la Isla Sur.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



20th June 2007

Ring Ring
How could you do such a thing to loose your ring. Hope it was insured then Maria can get you another one when yor return to UK?
21st June 2007

your adventures
hi there.still having fun you two,enjoy enjoy enjoy,sent a mail to you with some contacts for your next stop love you both
26th June 2007

Wicked
Loved the photos Maria, I can see the potential there for a future career. Enjoy the North Island! Sue xx

Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb