Floral Riot


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
February 17th 2006
Published: February 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

River activityRiver activityRiver activity

Straw boaters, and punting on the Avon. A punt costs $16 per person - thats about 6 pounds & 50p each.
As Chief Inspector Barnaby sat sipping a cool refreshing Chardonnay at the close of a long, hot mid-summers day, Sgt Troy came dashing through the patio doors alerting..."Sir, you'd best come along with me to the village green, there's been at least 4 seperate, but completely related, killings in Upper Middle Witchellton!!!!!!". .......Phew, sorry about that - for a moment we could have sworn we were back at home watching an episode of Midsommer Murders. It's just that Christchurch looks exactly like that. Check the photos if you don't believe us. Also kinda reminds us of that song we sang as kids ... 'What do you do if you're bursting for the loo in an Engish Country, Gaaarden? Pull down your pants and suffocate the ants, in an English Country, Gaaarden'. You know the one, we're sure.

We've been in NZ for just over a week now. Once we'd sourced the campervan, we were able to relax and take in some city walks thru quaint tram lined streets and freshly tended botanical gardens. We lazed on benches reading our latest books, strolled along the Avon riverside, took coffee, cake & pizza in aromatic boho bars, and enjoyed a moonlit open
Romeo & Juliet.....Romeo & Juliet.....Romeo & Juliet.....

That's what this stairway reminded us of.
air Valentine's ball in Victoria Square. We perused antique shops close to our accommodation, bought second hand books in second hand book shops; Continuing the mystery Chrsitchurch theme, Shaz found Murder on the Orient Express for $1, and Alan received a surprise pressie of a sailing book about Naomi James - a NZ woman who single handedly circum-navigated the globe on a yacht and received a Dameship for her efforts. All in all - its been a super relaxing time. Just for a change. Our fav place for brekko is a wonderful little place called the Honey Pot cafe, which is really nice inside - lots of red candles, black uniformed staff and art for sale, plus they have the best value and most excellent tasting croissants and preserves we've had for a while. Makes such a difference when pastries are heated up properly in the oven and not microwaved. There is also a great Irish Bar here called 'The Bog' which has live music most nights. One night we were in there, and slightly squiffy it has to be said, we compiled a list of reasons why we love Irish Bars, the world over. Goes a bit like this
Entrance to the Rose Garden.Entrance to the Rose Garden.Entrance to the Rose Garden.

Marked by a large metal rose sculpture in the foreground.
(in no particular order of importance):
* Pints of Guinness
* Guinness posters & general identical decor regardless of the owners.
* They are non exlusive in that you are as likely to find a tramp sitting in the corner as a group of young lads or lassies out on a hen night, or a posh couple in for a quick one before the theatre, dahling.
*Usually serve great pub nosh such as Stew / Steak pie and chips, and 9/10 it tastes home made.
*Pints of Murphy's
*Usually also sell good alchopops - which is a good thing for Shaz.
*Good opening hours - usually open by 11am and not closing till early hours. ie: plenty time to enjoy yourself.
*People go there to have a good time, so you're alomost always guaranteed a good night out.
*The music's always the same: Van Morrison 'Brown Eyed Girl', the Pogues, and the Waterboys. Lovely.
* THE CRAICK!!!!

Now we are in Nelson, and we've completed our first sailing course, which we both found to be exhilerating and fun, yet highly challenging, and at times mind boggling. We'll tell you more about that in our next blog, but know this..... we've had our first photographic assignment. We took piccies of the Sailing Course yacht and the guy who runs the school paid us real money to use them on his website! How's about that then guys & gals? Pretty cool, huh?We were very pleased and will post some of the results over the next few days.

Just nipping off now for a bit of a curry here in Nelson. We've found a place called 'Little India' which does a proper Glasgow curry - at the right level of heat and everything - which we have found is highly uncommon so far on our travels. Nice one.

Tatty bye then,
Alan & Shaz. xxx




Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Public water fountainPublic water fountain
Public water fountain

They make everything so pleasant looking here.
Gardeners' toolsGardeners' tools
Gardeners' tools

In the Botanic Gardens we saw maybe 25 gardeners. The grounds are so well tended so its hardly surprising that they need so many staff to keep the place looking tip top.
Alan in the Botanical gardensAlan in the Botanical gardens
Alan in the Botanical gardens

This tree was totally amazing - so huge. What you see here is the centre of it which you have to walk through lots of leaves and branches to get to. It was incredibly majestic.
Rose archway Rose archway
Rose archway

One of the entrances to the Rose Garden at the very centre of the Botanical Gardens
Totally MidsommerTotally Midsommer
Totally Midsommer

Artist painting in the Gardens
Scultpture in Cathedral Square.Scultpture in Cathedral Square.
Scultpture in Cathedral Square.

This is a bit incongruous to the rest of the square. However it is pretty cool to look at and its very tall, so on a sunny day you have to squint to see it properly.
The CathedralThe Cathedral
The Cathedral

Y'know, its such a shame, but the Cathedral isnt lit up very well at night. It would look spectacular if it was.
Court Theatre buildingCourt Theatre building
Court Theatre building

There are tons of Ye Olde Worldy gorgeous grey stone buildings dotted around Christchurch. Majority of them are very beautiful with intricate stonework and great patterns.
One of the many special buildings around Christchurch.One of the many special buildings around Christchurch.
One of the many special buildings around Christchurch.

This one was located across the street from our accommodation. They make everything look extra nice by placing flowere pots and plants on the outside. Guess that's easier to do if the weather is right. Some parts of Christchurch actually reminded us of some European cities such as Lille, or maybe Amsterdam (in parts) - mainly because of the street arrangements, neons and flowers outside. Quite beautiful.


23rd February 2006

Glasgae Curry
Nothing like travelling as far round the globe as you can get from home to find a nice hot Glasgow curry ;-) Deary me! haha I am still reading avidly! Cheers Steven RW
24th February 2006

Beetles
I didn't know you could actually get roadworthy Beetles. I thought they were only found in may bits sitting in a garage for years on end. Now you'll have given him the idea to go and buy another front end!!!!

Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0175s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb