An Antipodean Christmas / Navidades Antípodas


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
January 15th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Christchurch (and around / y alrededores)


We arrived in Christchurch gone midnight (cheap flights, eh? tsk!) on a Monday night, and must have jumped into the friendliest taxi in town, because apart from chatting non-stop and bombarding us with questions during the journey, once outside the hostel the driver then proceeded to spend 20 minutes giving us better advice than we've ever got form any dedicated tourist information office. He got out maps, brochures, business cards and discount vouchers, and sent us to our room with pretty much our trip round the South Island fully planned. What a nice guy!

We mentioned in our previous blog that we had planned to rent a flat for a few weeks over the Christmas and New Year period, to recharge batteries and sample a bit of "normal life" for a little while. We didn't fancy travelling over the festive season either, as it can be a tricky time with prices going up and room availability disappearing, which can leave you with the unpleasant prospect of spending loads of money on a room or sleeping on a park bench on Christmas Eve. We were very lucky with our search and only one day after arriving we had settled ourselves in a nice one bedroom flat in the outskirts. Not very big, but after having lived in hostels for a year and later in a tight campervan, it felt like a palace to us!! Plus it only cost us half the price of a bedroom per night, with the added advantage of course that we also had a private kitchen, bathroom and living room. Luxury! It was a self-contained flat within the landlords' house, a "nice middle aged couple". Their words, not ours! But they did turn out to be a very nice couple indeed, we felt very comfortable with them straight away and this made the stay in the flat extra pleasant.

We hired a car for a couple of days and went out to explore the outskirts of Christchurch. This part of the world is not particularly world famous for its beauty (although we did find Christchurch a very pleasant city), but the Banks Peninsula is a real beauty spot. And it isn't even one of the popular destinations! We thought this boded well - it could only be a good sign for our planned 6 month excursion around the country that we'd wanted to visit more than any other. We took the sightseeing route going in and out of the different bays until we reached Akaroa, a former French colony and the most popular place in the peninsula. Little evidence now remains of the original French settlement, other than a few French sounding road and shop names, but it has a very picturesque setting and gives you the opportunity to swim with dolphins, which we decided to do another day as we'd arrived quite late and without our swimming gear.

But first it was time to chill out in the flat for a while; edit some of the 6,000+ photos we'd taken, write some of these time consuming blogs (hey, we are slowly catching up), look for a campervan to take us around and last, but by no means least, start to really get some plans in motion for our wedding (more about this in a later blog).

The friendliness of the locals (in particular our landlords, Desirée and Neil) continued to amaze us, not only do the people in the streets have time to talk to you, all too rare in the hustle and bustle of British life, but they really go out of their way to be helpful. We hadn't been in the country more than a week or so before we were invited to not just one, but two Christmas day celebrations. As this is normally such a private family orientated affair, we thought we'd be spending Xmas day on our own, but first our landlady invited us upstairs to their place and then the brother of one of Maria's friends (who'd been looking after some important mail for us) invited us over to their place too.

Last Christmas we had been travelling on the Navimag ferry, through the fiords of Southern Chile. We'd returned from walking in Torres Del Paine and only having a couple of hours before we had to board the boat, so we didn't have anytime to buy each other presents, this year we tried to make up for that. It is still something that is a little difficult to do when you know that any extra weight you buy will either need to be sent home, or it'll increase your risk of a hernia at some point in the future. So, mostly we got each other chocolate and other things to make us sick, but Mark did get a Lord Of The Rings film location guide book, whilst Maria was quite pleased with a nice pair of woolly moccasins to keep her "little icebergs" warm (admittedly this also helped Mark sleep better, as he dreamt less of voyages on the Titanic when Maria was trying to warm her feet up at 1am).

Lunch was also a real feast, the main meal was roasted duck that had been marinading in sauce for about 3 days, we almost felt bad for not making it last more than 3 minutes on the plate, but it was really nice! We had a lovely afternoon and went back to the flat completely stuffed and a bit tipsy. New Year's Eve was a quieter affair, we thought of finding a party in town but when the day came it was pouring down outside and we just didn't feel like moving, so we just stayed in watching the Lord of the Rings on TV and eating the last of the chocolates and other miscellaneous sweets. The day's weather was actually a fitting ending to what the newsmen said had been the wettest December on record. Maybe it's us!

With the festivities over, we started hunting around for a van; we saw quite a few over a couple of weeks but only really liked one (well, we liked many others, but they were 5 and 10 times more expensive...). This time it came without a name, so after some pondering we settled for Joey (Ernie was Mark's middle name so we gave this van Maria's middle name to make it even). It is an ex-rental van, also a Toyota Hiace, but a few years younger than Ernie ('92). It has a bigger and much comfier bed, and we even have room for a small TV, so it feels quite luxurious in comparison. The real problem this time was finding one Mark could stand up in, not easy when you're about 6'2" (187cm). Pop-tops are quite hard to come by here, but luckily this one has an extra high roof and it feels really roomy inside. We actually prefer the hard top to the pop-top, less risk of losing it to strong winds, as it nearly happened during an extremely windy afternoon around the Blue Mountains - the wind blew the roof open and literally ripped off a corner, and the rest would've followed had we not managed to hold it down.

With everything sorted and pretty much ready to set off (3 weeks later than we had originally planned - we didn't want to leave the flat!), Mark found out that Roger Waters was playing a concert just round the corner, and didn't want to miss the opportunity to see, at least a part of, one of the greatest live rock bands of all time, Pink Floyd. Although it wasn't the original line up, it was still a great show and the sound system was incredible for an outdoor event, with sounds seeming to come from every direction. Mark was really pleased that he was able to enjoy a little piece of history, with the band playing all of the Dark Side Of The Moon album live and then finishing with his favourite track, Comfortably Numb. An ever friendly kiwi, who had also come to the gig on his own (this wasn't Maria's sort of music), was on hand to keep Mark company; making friends seems surprisingly easy here. Afterwards this guy invited Mark down to the local pub and bought him a couple of drinks (all attempts to return the
CHRISTCHURCH: Christmas Lunch / Almuerzo NavideñoCHRISTCHURCH: Christmas Lunch / Almuerzo NavideñoCHRISTCHURCH: Christmas Lunch / Almuerzo Navideño

Neil & Des on the right, Neil's sister in the middle ********* Neil & Des a la derecha, la hermana de Neil en el centro
favour were declined), whilst being introducing to his friends and family. He even invited us out on his boat to see the peninsula when we were next in town, but unfortunately this offer slipped our minds when we came back a couple of weeks later. Whoops!

So, at long last we set off and headed north to Kaikoura. It's a place of unusual oceanic geography, where, just a short distance from the shoreline, the seabed drops away rapidly to over 1,000m deep. This gives you an almost unique opportunity to be able to see the very deep diving Sperm Whales, without having to travel great distances out to sea. As is typical with many excursions we've booked, we turned up late one afternoon and were able to book ourselves onto a trip very early the next morning. Again concerned with the possibility of sea-sickness, we took some appropriate medicine and headed out on the boat. Unfortunately for Mark, he took his medicine about half an hour later than Maria and this would later be his downfall. Not long into the trip the sonar radar showed the water depth jump from a few 10s of metres to an incredible 100s
CHRISTCHURCH: Our Nativity Set / Nuestro BelénCHRISTCHURCH: Our Nativity Set / Nuestro BelénCHRISTCHURCH: Our Nativity Set / Nuestro Belén

Maria's creation, made of cheap plasticine ********* Creación mía, hecho de plastilina barata
of metres and more.

Almost in perfect harmony with the change of water depth, came a change in sea conditions and a change in the colour of Mark's features. The boat began to rise high on the now considerable waves, often with only the back part of the boat still in contact with the water, before the front of the boat came crashing back down into the sea (this was always accompanied by a great cheer from the more seaworthy passengers). Needless to say, Mark didn't really enjoy this trip very much and was rather disturbed to find that he had to move seats more than once in order to get fresh supplies of sick bags, whilst entrusting Maria with the disposal of the used ones (that's love for you).

However, even with all the discomfort, it was great to see the whales, we were lucky enough to see 3 of them, although it'd be more accurate to say that we saw 3 tails, 3 humps and 3 blowholes spurting water every few seconds. Maria managed to get a couple of classic tail fin shots, just before they dove to depths of up to 1km. The Sperm Whale is the third largest whale in the world, the males can reach lenghts of 15 metres and weight around 35,000 kgs!! They are an endangered species. For an underwater picture of the full whale click here.

Returning to shallower waters and gentler waves was much appreciated by Mark, but what really made it special was catching up with a group of dusky dolphins, who took the opportunity to ride along side us, swimming along under the bow of the boat in that classic dolphin way you see so often in documentaries. We also went to visit the local seal colony, although this was somewhat disappointing, with only 3 lazy seals to be seen and all of these fast asleep on the rocks.

Next we headed inland, in fact we were heading right over to the East coast, stopping half way to enjoy the geothermic hot waters of Hanmer Springs. Now a popular weekend and holiday destination, it started off as a rehabilitation centre for the mentally unbalanced. We decided to make our visit to the hot baths worth it, by exerting ourselves beforehand on a 2 hour quad biking ride. We were worried we would bake under the
CHRISTCHURCH: Silver Eye (or Wax Eye) / Ojiblanco (o Zosteropo) de Lomo GrisCHRISTCHURCH: Silver Eye (or Wax Eye) / Ojiblanco (o Zosteropo) de Lomo GrisCHRISTCHURCH: Silver Eye (or Wax Eye) / Ojiblanco (o Zosteropo) de Lomo Gris

Common bird in NZ, this one visited us in our balcony ********* Pájaro común en NZ, éste nos visitaba en nuestro balcón
early afternoon sun, so covered ourselves in a thick layer of sun cream. As it happened, we needn't have worried at all (not that we're trying to suggest that we're jinxed or anything!), as it started to rain just as we arrived at the start of the trek only to stop just as we brought them back and turned off the engines, soaked to the core and teeth chattering.

In Greymouth, where we stopped just to split the journey back to Christchurch, we decided to spend a night in a hotel. Too much time cooped up in the campervan in Australia hadn't been good for us, so we'd decided some time ago to spend the occasional night somewhere where could actually swing a cat around. This was our 2nd experience of a hotel bed in NZ and it turned out to be no better than what we had in a cheap hostel in Christchurch. There seems to be only one supplier of beds to the hotel trade in NZ and we believe that they must also be the main manufacturer of bouncy castles, as you have very careful when you turn over in them, in case your partner flies off the other side (particularly if your partner happens to be almost half your weight). It proved to be an expensive night of little sleep. Can't win.

Bleary eyed, we headed back to Christchurch once more, where we would be sorting out "wedding stuff" and meeting up with Mark's uncle and auntie, who happened to be coming to NZ for a long holiday. We went back via Arthur's Pass, which we had been told makes for a lovely drive. However, we crossed in the wrong direction, meaning the best views were always behind us. It also came across as a little barren, we believe it would have looked much more impressive if there had been a nice layer of snow covering the surrounding mountain peaks.

Back in a few days with the blog of our last days as single people...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Llegamos a Christchurch un lunes por la noche, ya pasada la medianoche (estos vuelos baratos, ¿eh?), y debimos habernos subido al taxi más simpático de la ciudad, porque aparte de no parar de charlar y de bombardearnos con preguntas, una vez se paró a la puerta del hostal, el conductor procedió a pasarse los siguientes 20 minutos dándonos mejor información de la que nunca no han dado en una oficina turística. Se puso a sacar mapas, folletos, tarjetas y vales descuento, y nos envió a nuestra habitación más o menos con toda la ruta planeada para la Isla Sur. ¡Qué encanto de hombre!

Ya mencionamos en nuestro último blog que habíamos planeado alquilar un pisito durante unas semanas, más que nada para pasar las fiestas navideñas, recargar baterías y disfrutar de un poco de "normalidad" durante una temporadilla. No nos apetecía movernos mucho durante las fiestas, más que nada porque los precios de las habitaciones se disparan, y las más baratas desaparecen rápidamente, con lo que puedes encontrarte en un aprieto si llegas a algún sitio y tus únicas dos opciones son o pagar un precio desorbitado o dormir en un banco del parque más cercano. Tuvimos una suerte tremenda con nuestra búsqueda, ya que al día siguiente de llegar ya nos habíamos instalado en un pisito de una habitación en las afueras de Christchurch. Pequeñito, pero después de haber vivido en hostales durante un año y en una autocaravana apretadilla después, ¡para nosotros era como un palacio! Además que nos costó sólo la mitad
KAIKOURA: Sperm Whale / CachaloteKAIKOURA: Sperm Whale / CachaloteKAIKOURA: Sperm Whale / Cachalote

Little Nick Blowing Off ********* Pequeño Nick respirando
que una habitación, con la ventaja añadida de tener cocina, baño y salón privados, ¡menudo lujo! El piso era parte de la casa de los mismos caseros, una "simpática pareja de mediana edad", según se describieron ellos mismos, lo que resultó ser verdad, nos sentimos muy a gusto con ellos desde el principio, lo que hizo la estancia en el piso aún más agradable.

Nos alquilamos un coche durante un par de días y salimos a explorar los alrededores. Esta parte del mundo no es un sitio universalmente conocido por su atractivo precisamente (aunque hemos de decir que Christchurch sí nos pareció una ciudad muy maja), pero la Península Banks es una verdadera preciosidad. ¡Y ni siquiera es uno de los destinos turísticos! Tomamos la ruta turística en vez de la rápida, entrando y saliendo de las distintas bahías, hasta que llegamos a Akaroa, una antigua colonia francesa y el rincón más famoso de la península. Poco queda de su pasado francés, aparte de los nombres de algunas calles y tiendas, pero es un lugar muy pintoresco, particularmente por su ubicación en una bahía rodeado de colinas. También existe la posibilidad de subirte a un barco que te lleve
KAIKOURA: Sperm Whale's Tail / Cola de CachaloteKAIKOURA: Sperm Whale's Tail / Cola de CachaloteKAIKOURA: Sperm Whale's Tail / Cola de Cachalote

Little Nick Showing Off ********** Pequeño Nick fardando
a la entrada de la bahía y nadar con un grupo de delfines, pero esto lo dejamos para otra ocasión ya que llegamos ya bastante tarde y sin nuestros bañadores.

Pero primero nos apetecía simplemente disfrutar del piso y descansar y no hacer mucho. Aunque tampoco es que no hiciéramos nada de provecho: pasamos muchas horas editando la mayoría de las más de 6.000 fotos que habíamos sacado hasta entonces, escribimos varias páginas del blog (que os lo creáis o no lleva bastante tiempo - oye, que casi estamos ya al día y todo), buscamos por media ciudad y por todos los periódicos una autocaravana en la que recorrer el país, y también, por fín, empezamos a hacer planes para la boda (de la que os hablaremos en otro blog).

La simpatía de los nativos (especialmente de nuestros caseros, Desirée y Neil) seguía sorprendiéndonos a diario, la gente no sólo es agradable y no dudan en ponerse a charlar contigo (en el supermercado, en el autobús, o en la biblioteca) también se esfuerzan un montón por ayudarte y que te sientas como en casa. No llevábamos en el país más de una semana o por ahí cuando nos vimos invitados no sólo a una sino a dos comidas navideñas. Como ésta suele ser una ocasión más bien privada y familiar, habíamos asumido que íbamos a pasar el día sólos, pero primero nos invitaron los caseros y luego también el hermano de una ex-colega mía con quien nos habíamos puesto en contacto a través de ella.

El año pasado si os acordáis pasamos el día de Navidad en el ferry que nos llevó por los fiordos del sur de Chile. Como llegamos de patearnos las Torres del Paine con el tiempo pegado al trasero para coger el ferry, no nos dió tiempo más que a comprarnos una botella de Bayleys y chocolates varios, pero nada de regalos, así que esta año decidimos compensar y comprarnos alguna sorpresilla. No es fácil comprar cosas interesantes en nuestras circunstancias, considerando que cualquier capricho que no sea imprescindible habría que mandarlo a casa por correo, o acabaría incrementando el riesgo de que te dé una hernia por intentar cargar con más peso del que debieras. Así que principalmente nos compramos chocolate y otros dulces para empacharnos hasta reventar, pero a Mark también le cayó un libro acerca de los sitios donde se filmó la trilogía de El Señor de los Anillos, y a mí un par de zapatillas con forro de lana de borrego, que Mark pensó ayudarían a calentar mis "pequeños icebergs" como los llama él, pero en el fondo sospecho que lo hizo por su propio bien, porque asegura que a menudo le hago soñar con viajes en el Titanic cuando le coloco los pies encima por las noches.

La comida navideña fue también un auténtico banquete para lo que estamos acostumbrados, el plato principal consistió de pato silvestre que había pasado 3 días macerando en salsa, casi nos sentimos culpables de que no durara más de 3 minutos en el plato, ¡pero estaba riquísimo! Pasamos una tarde muy agradable y volvimos al piso bien empachados y algo borrachos. La Nochevieja fue más tranquila, pensamos en buscarnos una fiesta en el centro, pero cuando llegó el día lo hizo pasado por agua y no nos apeteció movernos, así que nos quedamos viendo El Señor de los Anillos por la tele y terminándonos lo que nos quedaba de los chocolates y otros dulces varios. El tiempo de ese último día del año resultó ser simbólico, pues de acuerdo con todos los presentadores de telediario, habíamos tenido el mes de diciembre más húmedo registrado hasta la fecha. ¡Si es que al final vamos a tener nosotros la culpa!

Una vez pasadas las fiestas, nos dedicamos a buscar una autocaravana; vimos un buen puñado a lo largo de dos semanas, pero sólo nos gustó una (bueno, nos gustaron muchas otras, pero costaban 5 y 10 veces más...). Esta vino sin nombre, al final decidimos bautizarla Joey, que es diminutivo de Joseph (como Ernie era el segundo nombre de Mark, a ésta le dimos el mío, José). Es una antigua autocaravana de alquiler, también Toyota Hiace, pero unos años más joven que Ernie (del 92). Tiene una cama más grande y mucho más cómoda, e incluso tenemos sitio para una tele pequeña, así que en comparación es bastante más lujosa. El reto en esta ocasión fue encontrar una en la que Mark pudiera ponerse de pie, nada fácil cuando uno mide casi 1.90 m). Ernie tenía un techo elevable de lona, pero aquí no había forma de encontrar ninguna así, con lo que fue una suerte encontrar ésta con un techo rígido extra alto. En comparación, preferimos este tipo, ya que conlleva menor riesgo de perder el techo durante una ventisca, como casi nos sucedió durante una tarde ventosa cerca de las Montañas Azules - el viento logró desencajar el techo y lo arrancó de cuajo en un rincón, y habría desencajado el resto si no hubiéramos logrado bajarlo y sujetarlo de nuevo.

Y así estábamos, con todo resuelto y listos para emprender la aventura (3 semanas más tarde de lo que habíamos planeado en principio, ¡y es que no nos apetecía dejar el piso!), cuando Mark se enteró de que Roger Waters daba un concierto prácticamente a la vuelta de la esquina, y no quiso perdérselo. Roger Waters era uno de los miembros de Pink Floyd, que es uno de sus grupos favoritos. Yo sólo conozco un par de canciones, y francamente el resto me suenan todas iguales y algo monótonas, así que no le acompañé, y es que de todas formas viene bien hacer algo por separado de vez en cuando, cosa que no hacemos lo a menudo que deberiamos. Otra anécdota acerca de lo simpáticos que son los kiwis, es que el hombre que estaba sentado a su lado (que también había ido solo) empezó a darle conversación, y al final del concierto le invitó al pub a tomar un par de cervezas. No sólo no permitió que Mark pagase nada, sino que después de presentarle a la mujer y otros miembros de su familia, le dio su teléfono y le invitó a que le llamase cuando volviéramos a Christchurch para poder sacarnos en su barco a ver la costa. Al final no lo hicimos porque no sacamos tiempo, ¡aunque ahora nos arrepentimos!

Total, que por fín tras 7 semanas salimos de Chrischurch y nos dirigimos a Kaikoura. Un lugar con una geografía oceánica inusual, donde a poca distancia de la costa, la profundidad pasa de golpe de unos poco metros a más de 1.000. Esta característica ofrece la oportunidad de poder ver de cerca a los enormes cachalotes sin tener que ir muy lejos. La misma tarde que llegamos reservamos un viaje en barco para bien temprano al día siguiente (nos levantamos antes que el sol), ya que las condiciones en el agua suelen ser mejores durante la mañana y así hay menos posibilidades de marearse. Aún así, nos tomamos la obligada pastilla de dramamina, pero Mark por cabezón se la tomó casi en el último minuto y no nada más levantarse como hice yo, y acabaría pagando por ello.

Perfectamente sincronizado con el cambio de la profundidad del agua, en cuanto incrementaron las olas empezó a cambiarle a él el color de la cara, de rosita saludable a blanquecino verdoso. El barco empezó a pegar saltos, a menudo parecía que iba a despegar completamente, y mientras que otros pasajeros pegaban gritos de júbilo, Mark sólo se preocupaba de ir cambiándose de asiento en busca de bolsas sin usar, mientras que me encomendaba a mí las que ya había usado para que me deshiciera de ellas (eso es amor). Yo me libré en esta ocasión, aunque tampoco las tenía todas conmigo.

A pesar del mal rato, acabó disfrutando tanto de las ballenas como yo, vimos 3 de ellas, aunque sería más acertado decir que vimos 3 colas, 3 jorobas y 3 chorros de agua, porque el resto del bicho permaneció bajo el agua y tuvimos que imaginárnoslo. Aún así, nos encantó la experiencia. El cachalote es la tercera ballena más grande del mundo, los machos pueden llegar a medir 15 metros y pesar ¡unos 35.000 kilos! Son una especie en peligro de extinción. Para
HANMER SPRINGS: Quad Biking by the Blue Cliffs / Junto a los Acantilados AzulesHANMER SPRINGS: Quad Biking by the Blue Cliffs / Junto a los Acantilados AzulesHANMER SPRINGS: Quad Biking by the Blue Cliffs / Junto a los Acantilados Azules

Spot the happy couple... ********* Localizad la pareja feliz...
ver una foto del bicho entero bajo el agua, pinchad aquí (texto en inglés).

En el camino de regreso se nos unió un grupo de delfines oscuros, toda una monada, seguían al barco en plan juguetón, se metían por debajo y volvían a aparecer a los dos segundos, como si nos estuvieran echando una carrera, y de vez en cuando pegaban un acelerón, nos adelantaban, y pegaban un salto acrobático fuera del agua. Increíble. Al día siguiente nos dimos un paseo por la costa y nos acercamos a visitar una colonia de focas, pero sólo nos encontramos a 3 echándose un siestorrio en las rocas y sin hacer mucho.

De aquí nos fuimos hacia el interior, y paramos en Hanmer Springs, famoso por sus aguas termales. Hoy día es un popular destino de fin de semana y vacaciones, pero en sus orígenes no fue más que un centro de rehabilitación para "desiquilibrados psíquicos". Decidimos hacer que nuestra visita a los baños mereciera bien la pena, y nos fuimos a montar en quads (¿cuatrimotos?) un par de horas por el campo. Hacía bastante calor y nos preocupaba achicharrarnos bajo tan ardiente sol, así que nos embadurnamos de crema como precaución. Pero no teníamos que habernos preocupado (y no es que estemos sugiriendo que estemos gafados ni nada), porque justito cuanto llegamos al comienzo de la ruta, empezó a llover, y sólo paró justito al regresar y en cuanto apagamos los motores, calados hasta la médula y con los dientes castañeteando.

En Greymouth, donde paramos para partir el viaje de regreso a Christchurch, decidimos pasar la noche en un hotel. Como pasar tanto tiempo apretados en la autocaravana en Australia no nos había venido muy bien, habíamos acordamos pasar alguna que otra noche en una habitación donde poder estirarnos en condiciones de vez en cuando. Esta era nuestra segunda experiencia de dormir en una cama de hotel en Nueva Zelanda, y llegamos a la conclusión de que la empresa que construye y distribuye los colchones en este país tiene que ser la misma que construye castillos inflables, porque en cuanto te das media vuelta tu pareja sale disparada por el otro lado (especialmente si tu pareja pesa casi la mitad que tú). Cara noche para lo poco que dormimos.

Algo soñolientos, nos encaminamos hacia Christchurch al día siguiente, donde pasaríamos unos días organizando "cosas para la boda" y disfrutando de la compañía de unos tíos de Mark, que venían a pasar unas vacaciones largas a Nueva Zelanda. Regresamos por el puerto de montaña conocido como Arthur's Pass, ya que nos dijeron que era muy bonito, pero lo cruzamos en la dirección más aburrida, las mejores vistas siempre parecían estar por detrás. También nos pareció algo desolado, aunque es fácil de imaginar que cuando lleguen las nieves tiene que ser una preciosidad.

Bueno, regresaremos en unos días con el blog de nuestros últimos días de solteros...


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 30


Advertisement

3 way bridge / Puente de 3 direcciones3 way bridge / Puente de 3 direcciones
3 way bridge / Puente de 3 direcciones

On the way to Arthur's Pass ********* De camino a Arthur's Pass
Road Block / Atasco en la carreteraRoad Block / Atasco en la carretera
Road Block / Atasco en la carretera

On the way Arthur's Pass - it went all the way to that white dot in the distance (another campervan) ********* De camino a Arthur's Pass - llegaba hasta el punto blanco en la distancia (otra autocaravana)
ARTHUR'S PASS: KeaARTHUR'S PASS: Kea
ARTHUR'S PASS: Kea

The Kea is an alpine parrot, only found in NZ's South Island. They'll destroy anything they can lay their beaks on! ********* El Kia es un loro alpino, sólo se encuentra en la Isla Sur de NZ. ¡Destruye todo lo que se encuentre al alcance de su pico!


15th April 2007

wonderful photos
Excellent photos to compliment your journal. Makes you want to pack up your bags straight away. Well done. regards, ken.
16th April 2007

Christchurch
A big thank you for these photos, it gave me the opportunity to see the place where my brother lives and works. Must get over to see him asap! Waiting impatiently for the next blog.... Love Sue x
16th April 2007

Congratulation?!
So does this mean congratulations are in order??!! Fabulous news - can't wait to hear the details!
17th April 2007

Gracias por este regalo
Soy un venezolano que sueño con algún día visitar Nueva Zelanda, sus fotos hoy me permitieron viajar así fuera por un instante. Si un día tenemos la oportunidad me gustaría intercambiar por esta vía con ustedes para que me cuenten sus experiencias. Feliz día.
17th April 2007

star quality
Definetly the photo of the year, the lonely sheep among the green, awesome material mate. much apprecited, keep it up.
16th May 2012
BANKS PENINSULA

I swear that sheep is posing for you! Great picture.

Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb