So long, Australia, we'll be back! / Hasta la vista, Australia, ¡volveremos!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
December 7th 2006
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Australia Zoo --> Sydney


Not far from Noosa Heads (where we played with the waves on the body boards) is the late Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo and we couldn't resist going for a visit. We found it rather pricey but they do have an awful lot of animals and the staff put on some good shows too. Feeding the enormous crocodiles was probably everyone's favourite, closely followed by patting some animals that the keepers parade around the zoo, like koalas and wombats. Here, like in many other zoos and animal refuges throughout the country, you are given the opportunity to hold a koala yourself and have your picture taken with it (for a price, obviously), but we were put off doing it by a comment from one of Mark's friends, who said she'd done it and they stink of wee! But mainly because we think it's taking advantage of the poor animal's sweet nature, it can't be good for them to be passed on from human to human and not allowed to rest as much as they need to do - this furry things need to sleep between 20 and 22 hours a day!

Still, the zoo is worth visiting if you want to see all the usual Australian suspects, which seemed very well looked after. The wombat and the Tasmanian devil were two animals we saw here for the first (and last) time, together with some new snakes.

Pretty much bypassing Brisbane (nothing much to it, just another big city), we also drove past the entire Gold Coast (the Australian equivalent of the Costa del Sol), where we only stopped for one night to split the long drive. Being "the" ultimate holiday destination for tourists and Australians alike, it was absolutely heaving with people (it was after all the high season), and consequently it felt horribly expensive and crowded. The traffic was atrocious, and after spending several minutes stuck in a traffic jam and getting nowhere, our mind was made up. Plenty of other places to go and see!

Our next stop was Byron Bay, which is still a popular drinking and partying destination for the younger crowd, and has a bit of a hippy feel to it. Eager to escape this younger scene (campsites can be very noisy places at night), we stayed in a campsite a few kilometres out of town, in a secluded area right next to a
AUSTRALIA ZOO: Dramatic koala / Koala dramáticoAUSTRALIA ZOO: Dramatic koala / Koala dramáticoAUSTRALIA ZOO: Dramatic koala / Koala dramático

Some people can fall asleep just about anywhere ********* Algunos es que pueden dormirse en cualquier sitio
surfer's beach and a nature reserve. One sign of getting old, we guess, seeking peace and quiet. So nice.

We stayed for a few days as it was a nice little place to chill out. Maria found out there was a jewellery making workshop that Saturday and went along to it for a bit of fun. She came back with basic knowledge of materials and techniques and enough beads to make herself a different pair of earrings for every day of the year.

We also went diving here, for what would be our last time in Australia (sniff). There is a group of rocks called the Julian Rocks Marine Reserve just over 2 kms from the shore which support an incredible variety of marine life. Apart from the usual collection of corals, and lots of small fish, we also saw several wobbegongs, 3 turtles (not sure what sort, we haven't learnt to identify them yet), and we were also lucky enough to see a grey nurse shark. It had to be from a fair distance as the guides don't let you approach them, not because they're dangerous (even though they look it), but because they are classified as "vulnerable" (one step short of "endangered"). The sharks were actually the reason why we went diving here, as we knew these rocks were home to a group of them, but we still felt very privileged to see one, such a beautiful animal! It was accompanied by a group of remoras, fish that cling on to them and use them for transport and eat any leftovers from their meals. When we returned to the boat, we found out that another group that had gone in a different direction had also seen a sting ray; we were not that lucky (that would have rounded up the day very nicely), but were still perfectly happy with our shark!

We then drove pretty much non-stop until we reached Port Macquarie. Famous for being a former penal colony, the description of the town makes it sound very quaint, but when you try to find any old landmarks following the self-guided walk brochure, there's nothing to see there, as all the old buildings have now gone. The only thing that is still standing is the old courthouse, which looks like any other house, and 3 graves on top of a small hill where the settlement's
AUSTRALIA ZOO: Tasmanian Devil / Demonio de TasmaniaAUSTRALIA ZOO: Tasmanian Devil / Demonio de TasmaniaAUSTRALIA ZOO: Tasmanian Devil / Demonio de Tasmania

Much cuter than the cartoon character! ********* ¡Mucho más mono que el dibujo animado!
first cemetery used to be. So not much left of its historic past, but it still has some very nice beaches (and since by now you are out of the tropical waters surrounding the Great Barrier Reef, the risk of jellyfish has also gone), and reputedly "the best all-year-round climate in the whole country".

Ironically enough though, the weather was not all that temperate when we were there, but rather windy, and that night we experienced the most powerful thunderstorm ever. Which far from being a stroke of bad luck, we found a real treat and something we both enjoyed thoroughly. We drove up to a lighthouse situated on a rocky outcrop and found several other cars already gathered there enjoying the show. The storm was all around us, there was a bolt of lightening every few seconds, striking in every direction, we just didn't know where to look! And the noise!! It was so loud we could feel it vibrating in our stomachs! Simply superb. For quite a while we were actually able to stand outside the car, as it wasn't raining where we were, and watch the storm as it approached us. It was then that we were lucky enough to capture the lightening on film, it took a few goes as the first attempts were not particularly successful (either shaky or overexposed), but we ended up with the two crackers that we have uploaded here. Isn't the power of nature just amazing!

Our last seaside stop would be Lake Macquarie, which although may sound like it's round the corner from Port Macquarie, is actually some 150/200 miles south. There are a few places in Australia called Macquarie, named after the country's first governor who seemed to make it his mission in life to name as many places as possible after himself. It was in a campsite by the lake that we met the most interesting person we've come across in the trip - or the craziest depending on how you look at it. He was one half of a Canadian couple, who were travelling in Australia before splitting up for 8 months. She would be teaching English somewhere in South East Asia, whilst he would spend his time walking to and through China. Our conversation went a bit like this:

"Walking? You mean travelling by public transport as opposed to by private vehicle?"
"No, no, walking"
"Oh right". "Wow". "So... what do you take with you, a small backpack with just the bare essentials?"
"No, no. No backpack. Just a robe"
"Just a robe?? No other clothes?"
"No, no. Just the robe"
"Shoes?"
"Just a pair of sandals"
"But, how about money? You must take a credit card with you at least"
"No, no, no money. Just a robe"
"Toiletries?"
"No, no. Nothing. Just a robe"

And so it went on, as we thought of all the apparently-not-so-essential items that we have been carrying with us for months, and every time we got the same answer: "No, no, just a robe". It later transpired that he did take more than "just a robe" with him, namely his passport sewn into the inside of the robe, a bottle of water, and a pillow tied to his back.

"So where do you sleep?"
"Oh, anywhere really. By the side of a road, under the stars, on a bench..."
"And how do you wash?"
"Oh, there's always a stream or a lake somewhere, I just walk into it and then dry off naturally"
"And what do you do for food?"
"Well, if I'm in a
AUSTRALIA ZOO: Taipan Snake / Serpiente TaipanAUSTRALIA ZOO: Taipan Snake / Serpiente TaipanAUSTRALIA ZOO: Taipan Snake / Serpiente Taipan

Cute face, but this is the world's most venomous land snake - 20 times more venomous than a cobra ********* Carita mona, pero esta es la serpiente terrestre más venenosa del mundo - 20 veces más venenosa que una cobra
village, I might sit in the square and sing a song. If I'm in the great outdoors, and find a caterpillar on a tree, that's supper. I've even chased coyotes off an animal’s carcass. The first month is the worst, you lose a lot of weight until your body adjusts to the reduced intake of food, that's why I'm fattening up now in preparation for it."

We kid you not. We were left completely speechless by his riveting tales. We were torn between admiration and horror, what a character! He's done this a few times, including Africa and Europe. Apparently this was the hardest "walk". He went from Turkey to Germany, and obviously people are not used to seeing a guy in "just a robe" and he was turned away quite a few times when asking for help - and even arrested by police and escorted out of their jurisdiction (often back where he’d come from). And here we were thinking we were doing something unusual!

For our last stretch before reaching Sydney again, we decided to do a loop leaving the coastline and heading inland instead. Although it may seem hard to believe, despite their beauty we were rather bored of beaches after 2,000 kms of them. So what started as "Oooh, wow, just look at that beach", ended up as "Ah. Look. Another beach". So we drove through the Hunter Valley, one of Australia's famed wine-producing regions, and drove back through the Blue Mountains, a part of the Great Dividing Range. Despite their name, there are neither blue nor are they even "proper" mountains, but rather a collection of valleys with some nice features like canyons, waterfalls and caves.

We had hoped to go for some nice walks, but unfortunately the whole area was being savaged by fires ("the worst ones they had seen in at least 10 years"), many of which had yet to be contained, and when inquiring at the local information centres, we were strongly advised to stick to the towns and villages and not venture into the bush. The side roads and walking tracks leading to the more interesting places had been closed anyway, so we heeded their advice and stuck to safe areas. In any case, now that we were away from the coastal breeze, the infamous bush flies were once more driving us insane, so we don't think we
AUSTRALIA ZOO: Big Croc / Menudo bichoAUSTRALIA ZOO: Big Croc / Menudo bichoAUSTRALIA ZOO: Big Croc / Menudo bicho

This is the estimated size the local crocs would be (in the wild), if they hadn't all been hunted down ********* Este es el tamaño que se cree tendrían los cocodrilos locales (en estado salvaje) si no se les hubiera cazado indiscriminadamente
would have actually enjoyed the walk had we gone on one. You just don't dare leave the haven that is your campervan when these awful creatures are about, they harass you like there's no tomorrow and trips to the toilet or to the taps to fill a bottle with water can become traumatic experiences; you simply can't wave your arms about quick enough to shake off the little blighters!

One fire-free spot we found were the Jenolan Caves. These are a network of around 300 underground caves, although only the 9 major ones are open to the public. You would need at least 2 days to visit them all, which you can do individually or in groups as a package. We only visited one of them, the Lucas Cave, said to be one of the more spectacular ones. We also made a stop at the very famous Three Sisters, said to be the most famous view in the whole Blue Mountains area, from whose lookout you can also look over the Jamison Valley which extends in front of you as far as the eye can see, although for us this paled into comparison after seeing similar, but more spectacular views in America.

When we arrived back in Sydney, it was less than a month before Christmas and we had no defined plan of where we wanted to spend it. We had initially planned to continue driving along the coast from Sydney to Adelaide. However, this would have meant covering another 1,400 kms (almost 1,000 miles) and the truth is we were bored, although we didn't realise it at first. One problem we did have was that we had started to argue between ourselves a lot more than we had argued during the rest of our trip. Considering we had been living out of each other's pockets for 14 months by then, the fact that we were still together was, in many people's opinion, just short of a miracle. But still, it did worry us that we seemed to be getting on each other's nerves a bit too much. We reckon we had got claustrophobic in the van, and had to concede we needed a change of scenery (there are only so many beaches and flies you can put up with), a bit of breathing space, and a place to chill out for a while.

We weren't sure
AUSTRALIA ZOO: Tiger / TigreAUSTRALIA ZOO: Tiger / TigreAUSTRALIA ZOO: Tiger / Tigre

OK,not very Australian, but we like the picture... ********* Vale, no muy australiano precisamente, pero nos gusta la foto...
if anybody would want to rent us a flat for just 2 or 3 weeks, but after placing an advert on a dedicated website, and replying to others ourselves, we actually got some offers for short-term rentals, both in Australia and New Zealand. After some consideration, and even though part of us still wanted to see Melbourne and Adelaide and especially cross into Tasmania, we thought flying over to New Zealand would bring us the change of scenery we so badly craved.

After investigating ways in which to sell the van, we thought the Sydney car market was probably the quickest way to sell it privately for the highest possible price. This market is actually just a floor in an underground carpark, where you pay a weekly fee to put your vehicle "on show", and wait for people to come and look at the van and hopefully make you an offer. The only thing that really makes it any different is that you have to prove ownership of the vehicle and provide a recent "Warranty of Fitness" to be able to put it "on show". We thought there might be loads of vehicles for sale, but we were surprised to see just a small handful of them, and they were in a shocking condition. Admittedly, there were also wanting half the price we wanted for ours, but Ernie was so much better in comparison we thought we might have it easy. This was confirmed by the guy running the place who assured us "it'd be gone by Sunday" (it was Friday afternoon when we enquired).

Sure enough, we arrived there on Saturday morning and were made an offer within an hour! They did not offer us the full price though, and we were getting so much more interest than anybody else there that we thought it'd be silly to let it go so quickly for less money. We had the added advantage that buyers were getting desperate for a good vehicle, as Christmas was fast approaching, so people were paying inflated prices for hostel rooms and wanted to get going as soon as possible. So we stuck to our asking price and sure enough we sold it to an American couple 5 hours later and for $500 more than what we bought it for - which meant that, excluding petrol, it only cost us just over AU$2 per day! Not bad!! Now the only problem was that this couple wanted it on Monday, so we only had one day to pack our bags and get ourselves a plane ticket!

But with the power of internet and credit cards, this was an easy task - we had our tickets sorted before the end of the day, which meant we could spend Sunday on the beach. Bondi Beach to be precise, which is reputedly the most popular beach in Sydney and it must be true, because it was absolutely jam-packed, we found it hard to find a few square inches where to lay down our towels. We left after an hour and after lunch we went back to the van to pack our bags and get ready for a kiwi adventure...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No lejos de Noosa Heads (donde estuvimos jugando con la tabla de body surf) está el que es posiblemente el zoo más famoso del país, y que se llama simplemente así, Australia Zoo. No se si el hombre era famoso en España, pero por si acaso a alguno os suena, es el zoo del "Cazador de Cocodrilos" Steve Irwin, que murió el pasado septiembre cuando el aguijón de una raya le atravesó el corazón mientras filmaba un documental. Salió bastante carillo pero bueno, la verdad es que tienen montones de animales y las exhibiciones son muy buenas - educativas a la vez que entretenidas. La favorita suele ser ver cómo dan de comer a los cocodrilos, seguido muy de cerca por las oportunidades que te dan de acariciar algunos de los animales, como koalas y wombats. Aquí, al igual que en la mayoría de los otros zoos y refugios de animales del país, te permiten coger un koala en brazos para sacarte una foto con él (por un precio, claro). Pensamos en hacerlo, pero una amiga de Mark que lo hizo durante su visita al país nos quitó las ganas al decirnos ¡que apestan a pipí! Además que nos parece que es abusar un poco de lo buenazos que son estos pobres bichos, y no nos parece que sea bueno para ellos pasar de un humano a otro y no poder descansar todo lo que necesitan - estas bolitas de pelo necesitan dormir ¡entre 20 y 22 horas al día!

Pero bueno, sí que merece la pena visitar el zoo si quieres ver lo más típico de la fauna australiana, y los animales parecen estar muy bien cuidados. El wombat y el demonio de Tasmania son dos animales que vimos aquí por primera (y última) vez, y también varias serpientes que no habíamos visto en otros sitios.

Pasando por Brisbane prácticamente sin parar (no es que tenga mucho que ver, es simplemente otra ciudad), también pasamos de largo por la Gold Coast (traducido, la Costa Dorada, más o menos el equivalente de la Costa del Sol nuestra), donde sólo paramos una noche por partir el largo viaje. Siendo "el" destino vacacional favorito tanto para turistas como para australianos, todo estaba abarrotado (en fín, también es que habíamos llegado en temporada alta), y consecuentemente todo nos pareció muy caro y demasiado lleno de gente, un agobio. Y el tráfico, un horror, después de chuparnos varios minutos en un atasco sin movernos dos metros, no nos hizo falta más para convencernos, nos fuimos de allí pitando. ¡Con la de otros sitios que hay que ver!

De modo que dejamos las muchedumbres atrás y no paramos hasta llegar a Byron Bay, que también es un sitio popular, sobretodo para la gente más joven, y tiene un ambiente un poco hippie. Deseosos de escapar de estos grupitos de chavalines (que pueden ser bastante ruidosos en los campings hasta las tantas), nos buscamos un camping bien en las afueras, en una zona algo escondida junto a una playa de surfistas y una reserva natural. Suponemos que eso de ir buscando paz y tranquilidad es una señal de que se va haciendo uno mayor, pero qué gusto encontrarlas.

Aquí nos quedamos varios días ya que nos pareció un buen sitio para descansar un poco. Me enteré de que ese sábado había un taller de joyería en una tienda de cuentas y abalorios, y me apunté por hacer algo diferente. Fue más entretenido de lo que esperaba, y salí de allí con conocimiento básico de materiales y técnicas, y suficientes cuentas como para hacerme un par de pendientes para cada día del año...

También fuimos a bucear, ésta sería la última vez que lo hiciéramos en Australia (snif). Hay un grupo de rocas a poco más de 2 kms de la playa (Reserva Marina Julian Rocks), alrededor de las cuales encuentras gran abundancia de vida marina. Aparte de la habitual colección de corales, y montones de pececillos, también vimos varios "wobbegongs" (tiburones alfombra), 3 tortugas (no estamos seguros de qué tipo, aún no hemos aprendido a distinguirlas), y también tuvimos la gran suerte de ver un tiburón nodriza. Tuvo que ser a cierta distancia pues los guías no te dejan que te acerques; no porque sean peligrosos (aunque tienen pinta), sino porque están clasificados como "vulnerables" (a un paso de ser considerados "en peligro de extinción"). Estos tiburones fueron la razón por la que vinimos a bucear aquí, ya que habíamos leido que un grupo de ellos vive aquí todo el año, pero aún así nos sentimos muy privilegiados de haber visto uno, ¡qué preciosidad! Iba acompañado de un grupo de rémoras, peces que se les pegan al cuerpo y los utilizan como transporte, y de paso se zampan cualquier resto de comida que les caiga. Cuando volvimos al barco, nos enteramos que otro grupo que había ido en dirección contraria a la nuestra había visto una raya; nosotros no tuvimos tanta suerte (eso sí que ya habría puesto la guinda al pastel), pero tampoco nos importó mucho, ¡estábamos tan contentos con nuestro tiburón!

De aquí bajamos prácticamente sin parar hasta Port Macquarie. Famosa por ser una antigua colonia penal, cuando lees la descripción del lugar suena bastante pintoresco, pero cuando intentas encontrar alguno de los puntos de referencia que te indica el folleto del paseo auto-guiado de la ciudad, no encuentras ninguno, porque ya no existen. Lo único que aún perdura es el antiguo palacio de justicia, que la verdad no tiene nada de especial (parece una casa cualquiera), y 3 tumbas sobre una colinilla donde construyeron el primer cementerio. Aunque no le queda gran cosa de su pasado histórico, sí que tiene unas playas preciosas (y como aquí ya no estás en las aguas tropicales que rodean la Gran Barrera, ya no existe el peligro de que te piquen las medusas), y también, según dicen, "el mejor clima de todo el país durante todo el año".

Aunque esto no lo pudimos corroborar, pues los dos días que pasamos aquí no hizo precisamente calor a pesar de ser verano, y soplaba un viento de aúpa. Y por la noche nos cayó una tormenta de truenos y relámpagos como no hemos visto nunca. Esto no lo decimos como algo negativo, al contrario, a los dos nos encantan y disfrutamos del espectáculo como enanos. Condujimos hasta un faro que está en lo alto de un promontorio rocoso y nos encontramos con que ya había varios coches allí con el mismo propósito. La tormenta nos rodeaba por completo, cada pocos segundos caía un relámpago en cualquier dirección, ¡no sabíamos donde mirar! ¡Y el estruendo! Algunos de los truenos eran tan fuertes que podíamos sentir la vibración en el estómago. ¡Fue genial!. Tuvimos suerte que la lluvia tardó bastante en alcanzarnos y pudimos pasar un buen rato fuera del coche sacando fotos. Las primeras fueron un poco desastre, hasta que acertamos con el tiempo de exposición, y entonces fue cuando sacamos las dos fotos que veis aquí. ¿No es increible el poder de la naturaleza?

Nuestra última parada junto a la costa fue Lake Macquarie, que aunque pueda parecer que está al lado de Port Macquarie, en realidad está a unos 300 kilómetros al sur. Hay un buen puñado de sitios en Australia que se llaman Macquarie, y es que éste fue el nombre del primer gobernador del país, que no parecía tener otra ambición en la vida que ponerle su nombre a todo sitio que encontraba sin nombrar en el mapa. Fue en el camping de este lugar que conocimos a quien posiblemente sea la persona más interesante que nos hemos encontrado en todo el viaje - o la más loca, depende de por donde se mire. Era una mitad de una pareja canadiense, de vacaciones en Australia antes de separarse durante 8 meses. Ella se iba a trabajar de profesora de inglés en algún lugar del sur asiático (no recordamos dónde), y él se iba a China - andando. Nuestra conversación a partir de ahí continuó más o menos así:

"¿Andando? ¿Quieres decir en transporte público en vez de vehículo privado?"
"No, no, andando"
"¿De verdad? Ostras. Y... qué llevas, ¿una mochila pequeña con lo más vital?"
"No, no. Sin mochila. Sólo una túnica"
"¿¿Sólo una túnica?? ¿Ninguna otra ropa?"
"No, no. Sólo una túnica"
"¿Zapatos?"
"Sólo un par de sandalias"
"Pero, ¿y dinero? Llevarás al menos una tarjeta de crédito"
"No, no, nada de dinero. Sólo una túnica"
"¿Cosas de aseo?"
"No, no. Nada. Sólo una túnica"

Y así durante varios minutos, según se nos ocurría preguntarle por todas las cosas (al parecer no tan esenciales) con las que hemos estado cargando durante meses, y a cada pregunta siempre la misma respuesta: "no, no, sólo una túnica". Luego resultó que sí que llevaba más que "sólo una túnica", como su pasaporte, cosido dentro de la famosa túnica, una botella de agua, y una almohada atada a la espalda.

"¿Y dónde duermes?"
"Pues, en cualquier sitio. Junto a un camino, bajo las estrellas, en un banco..."
"¿Y cómo te aseas?"
"Oh, eso es fácil, siempre hay un riachuelo o un lago en algún sitio, simplemente me meto al agua y luego me seco al aire"
"¿Y qué haces para conseguir comida?"
"Bueno, pues si estoy en un pueblo, a veces me siento en la plaza y canto una canción. Si estoy en el campo, y me encuentro una oruga en un árbol, esa es mi cena. También he ahuyentado coyotes y les he quitado la carne corrompida que se estaban comiendo ellos. El primer mes es el peor, pierdes un montón de peso hasta que tu cuerpo de adapta a tal disminución de ingestión de alimento, por eso estoy intentando engordar todo lo que puedo ahora, en preparación para el viaje".

De veras que no os estamos tomando el pelo. Este hombre nos dejó sin palabras con sus historias. No sabíamos si sentir admiración u horror, ¡menudo personaje! Al parecer ya ha hecho algo semejante varias veces, incluyendo Africa y Europa. Este último fue al parecer el mayor reto. Fue de Turquía a Alemania, y claro, la gente en Europa no está acostumbrada a ver a un tipo vestido con "sólo una túnica", y dice que se vió rechazado en muchos sitios y la gente no le prestaba ayuda cuando la solicitaba - ¡incluso le arrestó la policía varias veces aunque realmente no podían presentar cargos! ¡Y todo este tiempo nosotros pensando que estábamos haciendo algo "inusual"!

Para la última etapa del viaje antes de alcanzar Sydney otra vez, decidimos hacer un círculo dejando la costa y adentrándonos un poco hacia el interior. Aunque os parezca difícil de creer, a pesar de su belleza estábamos ya un poco hartos de tanta playa después de 2.000 kms de ellas. Lo que había empezado con "¡Oooh, mira, qué maravilla de playa!", acabó siendo más bien "Ah. Mira. Otra playa". Así que nos metimos hacia el Hunter Valley (Valle de Hunter), una de las regiones vinícolas más famosas de Australia, y atravesamos las Blue Mountains (Montañas Azules). A pesar de su nombre, ni son azules ni son siquiera montañas, sino más bien una colección de valles con bonitos rasgos como cañones, cascadas y cuevas.

Nos hubiera gustado hacer alguna marcha por la zona, pero por desgracia toda la zona estaba siendo devastada por incendios forestales ("los peores que hemos visto en por lo menos 10 años"), algunos de ellos sin contener, y cuando preguntamos en los centros de información, nos aconsejaron que no nos aventuráramos al bosque, sino que nos quedáramos en los pueblos porque el peligro no era para tomárselo a la ligera. Y de todas formas los caminos forestales que llevan al comienzo de los paseos más bonitos estaban cerrados, así que no es que tuviéramos mucha opción. En cualquier caso, sin brisa marina cerca, las moscas nos estaban volviendo locos otra vez, así que seguramente no habríamos disfrutado de ningún paseo si hubiésemos ido. Y es que no te dejan vivir, apenas te atreves a salir de la caravana porque en cuanto pones un pie fuera te acosan sin tregua, un simple viaje al servicio o al grifo a llenar una botella de agua se convierten en experiencias traumatizantes; ¡y es que es imposible sacudir las manos lo bastante rápido como para espantar a las jodías puñeteras!

Uno de los pocos sitios que encontramos libre de incendios fueron las Cuevas Jenolan. Son un conjunto de alrededor de 300 cuevas subterráneas, aunque sólo las 9 principales están abiertas al público. Se necesitarían al menos 2 días para verlas todas; nosotros sólo vimos la Cueva Lucas, que dicen que es una de las más espectaculares. También hicimos una parada en Las Tres Hermanas, la vista más famosa de las Blue Mountains, que no son más que tres pilares rocosos al borde de un cañón, y desde cuyo mirador se puede admirar el Valle de Jamison que se extiende frente a tus ojos hasta más allá de donde te alcanza la vista.

De vuelta en Sydney, nos quedaba menos de un mes para Navidad y aún no teníamos un plan definido. En principio habíamos planeado seguir por la costa desde Sydney hasta Adelaida. Pero esto hubiese significado tragarnos otros 1.500 kms y la verdad es que estábamos ya aburridos, aunque en un principio no nos dimos cuenta. Un problema que tuvimos fue que empezamos a discutir más de lo que lo habíamos hecho en el resto del viaje. Considerando que para entonces llevábamos ya unos 14 meses prácticamente sin separarnos un minuto, el hecho de que aún estábamos juntos es, en opinión de muchos, poco menos que un milagro. Pero aún así, empezaba a preocuparnos que nos estábamos atacando los nervios mutuamente un poco más de lo normal. Al final decidimos que nos sentíamos claustrofóbicos en la caravana, y tuvimos que admitir que necesitábamos un poco de espacio, y un lugar donde poder descansar una temporada.

No teníamos muchas esperanzas de encontrar a alguien que accediera a alquilarnos un apartamento para 3 o 4 semanas sólo, pero después de colocar un anuncio en una página web es¡No está mal! pecializada, y de responder a otros que vimos, nos sorprendió recibir varias respuestas con ofertas, tanto en Australia como en Nueva Zelanda. Después de considerar las opciones, y aunque en parte aún queríamos ver Melbourne y Adelaida (nos han hablado muy bien de los dos sitios), y especialmente queríamos cruzar a Tasmania, pensamos que cruzar a Nueva Zelanda nos traería el cambio de aires que tanto necesitábamos.

Tras investigar maneras en las que vender la autocaravana, decidimos que el mercadillo de coches en Sydney era posiblemente la opción más fácil y rápida de venderla de manera privada y por un precio más alto. Este mercadillo es en realidad una planta de un parking subterráneo, donde pagas una cuota semanal por exponer tu vehículo, y con suerte antes de que pase la semana se lo has vendido a uno de los muchos otros viajeros que se pasan por allí. Pensamos que habría un montón de otros vehículos a la venta, pero qué va, nos quedamos alucinados de los pocos que había y de la mala condición en la que estaban. Vale, también eran mucho más baratos que el nuestro, pero Ernie era mucho mejor en comparación y pensamos "esto va a estar chupado". El chico que llevaba el mercadillo estaba de acuerdo con nosotros, no hizo más que verla por fuera y nos dijo "la vendéis antes del domingo" (era un viernes por la tarde cuando fuimos a preguntar).

Y no nos engañaba. Cuando llegamos el sábado por la mañana, en cuestión de minutos ya teníamos varias personas interesadas, y no había pasado una hora cuando nos hicieron la primera oferta. Pero como nos ofrecieron menos de lo que pedíamos, pensamos que con tanto interés sería una equivocación aceptarla
BLUE MOUNTAINS: Jamison Valley / Valle JamisonBLUE MOUNTAINS: Jamison Valley / Valle JamisonBLUE MOUNTAINS: Jamison Valley / Valle Jamison

To the right of The Three Sisters ******** A la derecha de Las Tres Hermanas
sin esperar otras. Además que teníamos la ventaja añadida de que la gente estaba desesperada por encontrar un vehículo decente, pues siendo las fechas que eran el precio de las habitaciones se había disparado y todo el mundo quería irse lo antes posible. Y así, 5 horas más tarde se lo habíamos vendido a una pareja americana por $500 más de lo que habíamos pagado por él. Esto quiere decir que, sin contar gasolina, Ernie nos costó unos ¡$2 por día! ¡No está mal! El único problemilla es que esta pareja lo quería para el lunes así que sólo teníamos un día para hacer las mochilas y comprarnos un billete de avión.

Pero con el poder de la internet y las tarjetas de crédito, sin problema - teníamos los billetes comprados antes de la caída de la noche, así que el domingo lo pasamos en la playa, en Bondi Beach para ser precisos, que dicen es la playa más famosa de Sydney y debe ser verdad, porque estaba tan llena de gente que nos costó trabajo encontrar un par de metros cuadrados donde poner nuestras toallas. Un agobio. Aguantamos una hora, salimos huyendo después de comer y nos fuimos a hacer las mochilas y a prepararnos para nuestra aventura neozelandesa...


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 31


Advertisement

SYDNEY: Car Market / Mercado de CochesSYDNEY: Car Market / Mercado de Coches
SYDNEY: Car Market / Mercado de Coches

We're not sure if this was also for sale or whether Dracula was partying in town! ********* No estamos seguros de si esto también estaba a la venta o si es que Drácula andaba de fiesta por la ciudad


18th December 2007

hello zoo animals
that koala looks like me
4th April 2011
AUSTRALIA ZOO: Seriously big crocodile / Cocodrilo enorme de verdad

croc
how big is this croc.

Tot: 0.893s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb