Haere ra, Aotearoa. Ka kite ano akuanei.


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
June 9th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Waitomo > Auckland> Bay of Islands > Christchurch


WAITOMO: The fishing lines / Los sedalesWAITOMO: The fishing lines / Los sedalesWAITOMO: The fishing lines / Los sedales

(photo courtesy of / foto cortesía de: Spellbound www.glowworm.co.nz)

"Farewell, New Zealand. See you again soon."


After playing giant hamsters in Rotorua, we set off for Waitomo that same afternoon. There are two things Waitomo is famous for, the first one is its numerous glowworm caves, and the second one is black water rafting. You may decide to skip the glowworms if you’ve already seen them elsewhere, but you just can’t skip the blackwater rafting. Rather, you shouldn’t skip it or you’ll be missing out on simple, but great fun.

Although we had already seen glowworms in Te Anau, we went for a second serving here too. We decided to steer clear of the big crowds (they come by the coach load) that concentrate around the main cave, the Waitomo Cave, and went with a smaller company (Spellbound) that visits a cave in private land (the farmer who owns the land gets a percentage of the entrance fee for the “inconvenience”, not a bad earner!). The owners of the company have kindly emailed us a few pictures to add to the blog, as it’s so hard to take your own in such low light conditions.

The name of the cave was Mangawhitikau Glowworm Cave, and our group in
WAITOMO: Glowworm (adult phase) / Luciérnaga (fase adulta)WAITOMO: Glowworm (adult phase) / Luciérnaga (fase adulta)WAITOMO: Glowworm (adult phase) / Luciérnaga (fase adulta)

(photo courtesy of / foto cortesía de: Spellbound www.glowworm.co.nz)
comparison only had 8 people, which made for a much more pleasant experience. Not having another group pushing behind us, we were allowed more time for our eyes to adjust to the dark, and we had a nice and slow ride on the raft looking at the hundreds of twinkly lights above our heads.

After a hot chocolate, a couple of biscuits, and a short walk, we came to a second cave (Te Ana o Te Atua - The Cave of the Spirit). We also saw a very small bunch of glowworms here, but nothing compared to the tunnel full of them in the first cave. This time it was more about admiring the shapes the limestone has been carved into over the last 30 million years. Listening to the explanations given by our guide, we concluded the Waitomo hills must have more holes than a Swiss cheese, as this cave was only one of 300 odd known limestone caves sprinkled over the area. Some of these caves appear as gaping holes in the middle of a field, where the earth has sunk to form a huge funnel, and farmers all over the area have lost a few cows
WAITOMO: Inside the cave / Dentro de la cuevaWAITOMO: Inside the cave / Dentro de la cuevaWAITOMO: Inside the cave / Dentro de la cueva

(photo courtesy of / foto cortesía de: Spellbound www.glowworm.co.nz)
down these holes over the years. “Mooooo…ooo…oo…o………” “Damn, there goes another one!”

We then went black water rafting the next day. This is yet another kiwi invention - there’s nothing these guys won’t try for a bit (or a lot) of fun! So what exactly is black water rafting? Funnily enough, it’s got little to do with white water rafting. Whilst for the later you jump in a raft with a bunch of other people and go down a few river rapids at some speed trying to stay afloat whilst the rapids toss you around, black water rafting is a much gentler exercise. So gentle in fact you have to paddle with your arms to actually get anywhere. The fun element is that you’ve got your behind stuck in a rubber inner tyre and you’re going down an underground river, mostly in the dark!

Despite the fact that the weather was now a little colder and the water absolutely freezing, we just had to give it a go! There are a few companies doing this in Waitomo, each offering different options, and almost always combining the rafting with caving, abseiling or walking (or all 3), all underground activities. We just stuck with the rafting and had a lot of fun with it, wading through water, jumping off rocks into pools pretty much in the dark, and paddling vigorously with our arms trying to get a move on down the underground stream. We had a surprisingly big group and everyone seemed to have a ball, we all laughed so hard we bet more than one wetsuit got wet in more ways than one!! Unfortunately no pictures of this one, but you can get an idea of what it was like here: The Legendary Black Water Rafting Co.

A short drive from Waitomo is Matamata, home to the only surviving filming set from the Lord of the Rings Trilogy: Hobbiton. The New Zealand government gave permission to the film makers to use natural locations under the condition that they took everything down afterwards, leaving each place in exactly the same condition they had found it. Hobbiton is an exception because it is located on private land. So apart from making money by allowing use his land during filming, the farmer (Mr Alexander) is still making money today running tours of this corner of his 500 ha, 12,000 sheep farm.

He doesn’t have total control over the set though, as the Tolkien estate stills owns the rights to it, so although Mr Alexander is allowed to run his tourist business, he is not allowed to make any modifications to the remaining hobbit holes. (In fact he was only recently given permission to the only paint the exteriors (there are still many postcards in NZ showing peeling paint). It’s a real shame actually, as it would be so much quainter if it looked closer to what it looked like in the films. We’re sure it would attract a lot more visitors too, regardless of whether they’re fans of the films or not, simply because it is such a cute location. Despite being a bit run-down, we felt like we might see a fantasy character wobbling out of one of the holes at any moment, even though we weren’t quite sure whether to expect a hobbit or a teletubby...

Our guide told us everything about the construction of Hobbiton in great detail, including filming anecdotes and giving us a bit of an insight into how much work it goes into getting even the tiniest detail right. Some of this work bordered in the ridiculous though. For example, we learn that the oak tree that is seen behind Bilbo’s house in the films, was a real oak tree brought from many miles away bit by bit. And we mean that literally. They cut the tree down and chopped it up in pieces, labelling every twig and leaf, and then literally bolted it back together on location. This as you can well imagine was painstaking work over many days, and after all that, the tree only appeared in the films for about 6 seconds in total.

We were a bit shocked to hear they had “killed” a tree just like that, but apparently it was pretty much dead when they cut it down anyway; it is now nothing more than a pile of dry wood on top of the hill.

We could bore you with a few more anecdotes like this, but guess we’d better move on to our next movements….

From Matamata we visited the Coromandel Peninsula, driving up the left hand side and down the right hand side, stopping in a few places along the way. We stopped in Coromandel town and visited the Waiau Waterworks, a bunch of home-made contraptions using water as the main feature, set in a huge private back garden. It was more a family-orientated place, with plenty of things to keep the younger ones entertained, but good enough for a break on your way to other places....

In Whitianga, on the right hand side, we explored our creative side: we attended a half day workshop to learn how to make a necklace out of a piece of cow bone. With a bit of help from the woman doing the tuition, we managed to turn a flat square piece of bone into a traditional Maori fish hook, a Hei Matau (Mark) and a whale’s tale (Maria). It looks pretty easy when you watch them doing it, but it’s not that simple when you find yourself with the tools in your hands not knowing which way to go! It took us nearly 3 hours from beginning to end, but we have to say we were quite chuffed with the results!

Not far from Whitianga is Cathedral Cove, only accessible during low tide and after a short walk through bushland. Plenty of people here, all taking the same pictures as us, not surprisingly as it is a very
MATAMATA (HOBBITON)MATAMATA (HOBBITON)MATAMATA (HOBBITON)

Looking out of Bilbo Baggin's front door ********* Vista desde la puerta de la casa de Bilbo Bolsón
pretty spot. And just a short drive down the road is one of the strangest places we’ve seen yet, even though it doesn’t look like anything special from the outside. It is Hot Water Beach. Not because the sea water is hot here, but because a small stretch of beach sits right on top of two fissures of an underground reservoir left by an ancient volcano. Hot water escapes from these fissures and although it cools down on the way up, it can be as hot as 64ºC (147ºF) in places. So by digging a small hole one hour either side of low tide, you can make your own beach jacuzzi (minus the bubbles). We rented a shovel from a local shop and off we went!

We found the place rather crowded and it took us a little while to find the right place to dig up - a bit too much to the right and the water sipping through is cold, a bit too much to the left and you could boil an egg. We finally managed to find a little spot where the water was almost the right temperature, but got burnt a few times when trying to dig a little deeper with our hands. Bizarre!

The weather turned in after that and the forecast for the next few days didn’t look any good, so with the clock ticking away we continued our way north. We stopped outside Auckland for a couple of nights and continued to Whangerei, where we would plan our last dive of the trip at the Poor Knights Marine Reserve, reputed to have the best diving in New Zealand. There’s a particular spot here (the Blue Mao Mao arch) that Jacques Cousteau described as one of the top 10 dive sites in the world, so we just had to check it out. The only company still operating at this time of year (this was now the low season) was based in Tutukaka on the coast, so we went to see them and booked ourselves on a trip leaving early the following morning.

We wish we knew more about marine flora and fauna to tell you all the things we saw. We managed to get a few semi-decent pictures with our very basic underwater camera, so you can see some examples here. The highlight of the day was to swim with stingrays and seeing 3 moray eels. It was beautiful down there and we were glad we braved the chilly water. Luckily they padded us out quite well, Maria ended up with 3 layers of neoprene and she could hardly move! The only problem with these thicker wetsuits is that they compress and expand more and faster than the thinner ones, so we had quite a bit of trouble with our buoyancy again. Guess it’s all a matter of practice. We’d love to do it again in warmer weather though!

Funnily enough, Cris and Liz (the couple we met during our glacier walk in the South Island) were renting a flat for a few weeks just by the harbour, and they kindly put us up for a couple of nights to give us a break from the campervan. (A big hello from here, guys! We hope to see you again soon when you return!). With our own en-suite room and their good company, we would have loved to impose for a bit longer! But we still had a bit left of the North Island to explore so we made our way to the Bay of Islands before we ran out of time.

We were lucky to have good weather for a couple of days and chose to go on a cruise of the islands. Needless to say we had the boat nearly all to ourselves - we must have been 20 passengers on a boat that usually takes about 200, so it was good to be able to move around and not have to fight for a seat either outside or inside. We had hoped to see some dolphins during the trip but no such luck…

We carried on north to Whangaroa Harbour, where we had hoped to organise a diving trip to the wreck of the Greenpeace flagship “Rainbow Warrior”, which was sunk by the French intelligence service in 1985. It is quite a symbol of New Zealand’s recent history, if you don’t know or don’t remember what happened, you can read more here: Rainbow Warrior. The thing is you need an Advanced Open Water Certificate to dive in a wreck, and we only have our Basic Certificates, so no agency would take us. However, we knew from a friend (won’t name names but she knows who she is!) that a certain guy (again, no names) might take us with him on an independent trip, providing us with the gear too, but after driving for a while to reach our destination, we found the guy was closed for the season. Gutted! We’ll have to come back when we’re a bit more experienced!

Our time in New Zealand was coming to an end, and after seeing how few travellers there were around, we started to worry it might take us some time to sell the van, so decided to start making our way back to Auckland the next day. We had actually advertised the van a few days earlier and had only had one enquiry, so this didn’t help to reassure us. So after stopping at Cris and Liz’s for one night again to split the journey, we were in Auckland two days later. We checked with a couple of local campervan dealers but they weren’t interested in buying during the low season. We tried a Sunday car fair and sat in the van for 3 hours during which only 2 people showed any level of interest. We then tried Auckland’s “backpacker car market” and wasted two whole days waiting for someone to show up and take an interest, but to no avail.

So we started to panic. What were we going to do now? We couldn’t just abandon the van and lose a lot of money! So we got in touch with our old landlords in Christchurch who, for a fee to cover their time and expenses, agreed to keep the van and sell it for us in a few months when the good weather comes and with it, the travellers. This meant we had to drive half way through the country again!

We managed it in two days (ferry crossing included), and we spent the last couple of days of our Kiwi experience back in the old Christchurch flat, emptying and tidying the van, and packing our rucksacks again for the first time in 6 months.

It was hard to believe we had spent 6 months in this beautiful land that felt like home in so many ways. This country has provided us with many hours of fun, great experiences, and the happiest day of our lives. There is no doubt that we will be back one day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hasta la vista, Nueva Zelanda. Nos vemos de nuevo."


Después de jugar a ser
WHITIANGA: Bone Carving / Talla de HuesoWHITIANGA: Bone Carving / Talla de HuesoWHITIANGA: Bone Carving / Talla de Hueso

Mark's hook is starting to take shape ********* El anzuelo de Mark empieza a tomar forma
hámsters gigantes en Rotorua, nos fuimos a Waitomo esa misma tarde. Waitomo es famoso por dos cosas, primero por sus numerosas cuevas de luciérnagas, y segundo por el “black water rafting” (descenso en agua negra literalmente). Si venís por aquí os podéis saltar las luciérnagas si ya las hábeis visto en otra parte, pero no dejéis pasar la oportunidad de hacer rafting porque no sabéis lo que os perderíais.

Aunque ya habíamos visto luciérnagas en Te Anau, también fuimos a verlas aquí. Pero en vez de ir con las muchedumbres (llegan en autocares) que van a la cueva principal (la Cueva Waitomo), fuimos con una agencia más pequeña (Spellbound), quienes visitan una cueva también pequeña en propiedad privada. El dueño de la propiedad se lleva un porcentaje del precio de la excursión sólo por permitirnos entrar, ¡no está mal como salario por no hacer nada!. Los dueños de la agencia muy amablemente nos han enviado unas fotos para añadir al blog, ya que es bastante difícil sacar fotos propias en semejante oscuridad y sin poder usar el flash (las luciérnagas se asustan y se apagan si lo utilizas).

El nombre de la cueva es Cueva Mangawhitikau, nuestro grupo
WHITIANGA: Bone Carving / Talla de HuesoWHITIANGA: Bone Carving / Talla de HuesoWHITIANGA: Bone Carving / Talla de Hueso

AFTER: Not bad for first timers ********* DESPUES: No está mal para ser principiantes
sólo tenía 8 personas, lo que hizo que la experiencia fuese mucho más agradable. No teniendo otro grupo empujándonos por detrás, nos pudimos permitir más tiempo para que nuestros ojos se adaptaran a la oscuridad, y el paseo en barca fue sin prisas, y pudimos disfrutar a placer de los cientos de lucecitas que brillaban sobre nuestras cabezas.

Después de un chocolate caliente, un par de galletas, y un paseo corto, llegamos a una segunda cueva (la Cueva Te Ana o Te Atua - Cueva del Espíritu). Aquí también vimos un puñadito de luciérnagas, pero nada comparado con el túnel lleno de ellas en la primera cueva. La visita a esta cueva es más para admirar las formaciones de caliza talladas durante los últimos 30 millones de años. Escuchando las explicaciones de nuestra guía, concluímos que las colinas de Waitomo deben tener más agujeros que un queso suizo, ya que esta cueva es sólo una de unas 300 cuevas (conocidas, a saber cuantas hay sin conocer) esparcidas por la zona. Algunas de estas cuevas no tienen más entrada que un agujero enorme en mitad de un campo; la tierra se ha hundido en varios sitios formando embudos gigantes, y los ganaderos de la región han perdido unas cuantas vacas a lo largo de los años. “Muuuuu…uuu…uu…...u………” “Mierda, ¡ahí va otra!!”

Al día siguiente fuimos a hacer rafting. Esto es otra invención kiwi - ¡no hay nada que esta gente no pruebe con tal de divertirse un rato! Bueno ¿y qué es eso del rafting en agua negra exactamente? Pues aunque os parezca extraño, no tiene mucho que ver con el rafting en agua blanca (o brava). Para esto último hay que subirse a una balsa con un puñado de gente y descender rápidos por un río a cierta velocidad, intentando mantener la balsa a flote mientras los rápidos te zarandean en todas direcciones. Sin embargo, el rafting en agua negra es mucho más tranquilo. Tan tranquilo que tienes que darte impulso remando con los brazos porque si no ni te mueves en ciertos sitios. La diversión reside en que tienes que hacer esto con el culo metido en un neumático gigante mientras desciendes por un río subterráneo, ¡medio a oscuras!

A pesar de que, estando casi en otoño, ya refrescaba bastante, y el agua estaba congelada, ¡tuvimos que probarlo! Hay varias agencias con las que ir, y todas ofrecen varias opciones, que incluyen combinar el rafting con algo de espeleología, un descenso en rápel o simplemente un paseo por una cueva (o todo a la vez), pero todo bajo tierra. Nosotros nos limitamos a hacer el rafting y nos lo pasamos pipa, saltando de rocas y zambulléndonos en pozas de agua, remando vigorosamente con los brazos y chocándonos unos contra otros. Nos juntamos un buen grupo y nos dieron tales ataques de risa a todos que no nos hubiera sorprendido que más de un traje (de neopreno) acabara mojado de más de una manera.... Por desgracia, no tenemos fotos del evento, pero podéis pinchar aquí para haceros una idea: The Legendary Black Water Rafting Co.

No muy lejos de Waitomo está Matamata, hogar del único exterior que ha sobrevivido de la trilogía de El Señor de los Anillos: Hobbiton. El gobierno de Nueva Zelanda dio permiso para rodar en el país con la condición de que volvieran a quitar lo que pusieran y dejaran los sitios tal y como los habían encontrado. Hobbiton es una excepción porque se encuentra en propiedad privada. De modo que el dueño (Sr. Alexander), aparte de ganar dinero durante los rodajes por permitir el uso de sus tierras, ahora sigue ganando más controlando las visitas a este rincón de su finca de 500 hectáreas y 12.000 ovejas.

Aunque no tiene control total, ya que los derechos de autor siguen siendo patrimonio de la familia Tolkien, y aunque permiten al Sr. Alexander continuar con su negocio turístico, no le permiten hacer ningún tipo de modificaciones a los agujeros de hobbits que aún quedan, ni siquiera darles una manita de pintura o realizar trabajos de "restauración". Es una pena la verdad, ya que el sitio podría ser mucho más curioso si se pareciera más a como salía en las películas. Estamos seguros que atraería muchos más visitantes también, no necesariamente fans de las películas, simplemente porque es un sitio tan mono. A pesar de estar un poco abandonado, estábamos casi convencidos de que en cualquier momento íbamos a ver un personajillo fántastico saliendo de uno de los agujeros, aunque no teníamos muy claro si sería un hobbit o un teletubby...

Nuestra guía nos dió todo tipo de datos y nos contó todo tipo de anécdotas acerca de la construcción de Hobbiton y más tarde del rodaje, dándonos una idea del inmeso trabajo que significa cuidar hasta
HOT WATER BEACHHOT WATER BEACHHOT WATER BEACH

Mark digging up our jacuzzi ********* Mark cavando nuestro jacuzzi
del más mínimo detalle. Aunque ciertas cosas rozaban lo ridículo. Por ejemplo, aprendimos que el roble que se ve detrás de la casa de Bilbo en las películas, fue uno traído de otro sitio a muchas millas de distancia. Lo talaron y lo cortaron en pedacitos, etiquetando cada ramita y cada hoja, y luego volvieron a montar todas las piezas con alambres y tornillos en su nueva ubicación. Como os podéis imaginar fue un trabajo laborioso a lo largo de muchos días, y al final el árbol sólo apareció en las películas durante unos 6 segundos en total.

Nos quedamos un poco escandalizados pensando que habían matado al pobre árbol tal cual, pero la guía nos aseguró que cuando lo encontraron estaba ya más muerto que vivo de todas formas; y ahora no es más que un montón de madera seca sobre la cima de la colina. En fín, podríamos seguir contando varias anécdotas más, parecidas a ésta, pero mejor sigamos con lo nuestro.

De Matamata fuimos a la Península Coromandel, subiendo por la izquierda y bajando por la derecha, parando en un par de sitios por el camino. Cerca del pueblo de Coromandel visitamos los Waiau WaterWorks,
HOT WATER BEACHHOT WATER BEACHHOT WATER BEACH

Maria enjoying her own private mini-spa ********* Disfrutando de mi propio mini-balneario
un puñado de inventos y artilugios caseros, la mayoría impulsados por agua, repartidos por un jardín privado enorme. El sitio está más indicado para familias, la verdad, hay un montón de cosas curiosas para mantener a los más jóvenes entretenidos un domingo por la mañana, pero bueno, está curioso y merece la pena parar de camino a otros sitios...

En Whitianga, a la derecha de la península, exploramos nuestro lado creativo: nos acercamos a un taller para aprender a hacer un colgante de un fragmento de hueso de vaca. Sí, como lo oís. Allí hacéis cocido, aquí hacen abalorios... cada loco con su tema. Con un poco de ayuda de la “profesora”, logramos convertir un pedazo plano y cuadrado en un anzuelo tradicional maorí, un Hei Matau (Mark) y una cola de ballena (yo). ¡Mira que parece fácil cuando se lo ves hacer a ellos! Pero cuando te ves con las herramientas en las manos, sin saber en qué dirección tallar o cuánta presión poner, la cosa se complica. Tardamos casi 3 horas de principio a fin, ¡pero hemos de decir que acabamos tan contentos con los resultados!

Cerca de Whitianga está la Cathedral Cove (Ensenada de Catedral),
INTERNETINTERNETINTERNET

In a campsite in North Shore, Auckland ********* En un camping en el barrio de North Shore, Auckland
a la que sólo se puede acceder durante la marea baja y después de un paseo por un bosquecillo. Nos encontramos con un montón de gente, todos sacando las mismas fotos que nosotros, y claro, no es de sorprender, porque es un rincón bien bonito. También muy cerca de aquí está uno de los sitios más extraños que hemos visto, aunque desde fuera no parece nada especial. Es Hot Water Beach (Playa de Agua Caliente). No porque el agua del mar esté caliente aquí, sino porque un pequeño tramo de playa se encuentra justo encima de dos fisuras en la corteza de la tierra, por donde se escapa agua caliente que, aunque se enfría algo por el camino, en sitios aparece en la superficie a una temperatura de hasta 64 º C. Así, se puede cavar uno un hoyo durante la marea baja, y disfrutar de un Jacuzzi de playa privado (aunque sin burbujas). Alquilamos una pala en una tienda local ¡y para allá que nos fuimos!

Encontramos el lugar más bien abarrotado, y tardamos un rato en encontrar un buen sitio donde cavar - un poco demasiado a la derecha y el agua sale fría, un poco demasiado a la izquierda y te achicharra. Por fín encontramos un huequito donde el agua salía a una temperatura agradable, aunque nos quemamos varias veces intentando cavar un poco más con las manos. ¡Y ahí nos quedamos un buen rato como dos huevos cociendo al baño maría!

El tiempo seguía pasando rápido y como vimos que la previsión del tiempo para los próximos días no prometía nada bueno, seguimos de camino al norte. Paramos un par de noches a las afueras de Auckland y luego continuamos a Whangerei, donde planearíamos nuestra última aventura submarina en la Reserva Marina Poor Knights, supuestamente el mejor sitio para hacer submarinismo en Nueva Zelanda. Y Jacques Cousteau describió El Arco Blue Mao Mao (un rincón determinado de la reserva - el nombre se lo da un tipo de pez que abunda aquí) como uno de los 10 mejores sitios en el mundo para hacer submarinismo, así que tuvimos que ir a comprobarlo. La única agencia que seguía yendo en esta época del año (estando en temporada baja) estaba en Tutukaka, en la costa, así que fuimos a verlos y nos apuntamos para ir con ellos tempranito la mañana siguiente.

Es una pena que no sepamos más acerca de la flora y fauna marinas para describiros todo lo que vimos. Conseguimos sacar varias fotos semi decentes con nuestra camarita submarina (muy básica), de modo que podéis ver algunos ejemplos aquí. Lo mejor del día fue nadar con manta rayas y encontrar tres morenas. El sitio es una preciosidad y nos alegramos de habernos atrevido con la temperatura del agua, más bien “fresquita”. Por suerte nos “aislaron” bien, ¡yo acabé con 3 capas de neopreno y apenas podía moverme! El único problema de llevar estos trajes más gruesos es que se comprimen y expanden más y más rápido que los más delgados, con lo que la jodía flotabilidad no trajo de cabeza otra vez, pero bueno, suponemos que es más bien cuestión de prácica que no tenemos. En cualquier caso, nos encantaría volver al sitio ¡pero cuando el agua esté más templada!

Por una de esas coincidencias de la vida, la pareja que habíamos conocido durante nuestro paseo por el glaciar en la Isla Sur estaban alquilando un apartamento junto al puerto durante unas semanas, y muy amablemente nos invitaron a pasar un par de noches con ellos para que pudieramos descansar de la caravana. Con nuestro baño propio en la habitación, y una ducha de lujo, ¡nos hubiera encantado abusar de su hospitalidad varios días más! Pero aún nos quedaban cosillas que hacer en la Isla Norte, de modo que seguimos camino a la Bay of Islands (Bahía de Islas) antes de que nos quedáramos sin tiempo.

Tuvimos la suerte de que nos hiciera un tiempo buenísimo durante un par de días y nos hicimos un crucero de las islas. Ni qué decir tiene que tuvimos el barco prácticamente para nosotros sólos, debimos ser unos 20 pasajeros en un barco que por lo general lleva 200; qué gusto, poder ir y venir, subir, bajar, entrar y salir sin tenerte que pegar por los asientos. Ibamos todos con la esperanza de ver delfines, pero la suerte no nos llegó para tanto …

Continuamos hacia el norte, y nos fuimos a Whangaroa Harbour, donde esperábamos ir a bucear en los restos del buque insignia de Greenpeace "Rainbow Warrior” (el Guerrero del Arco Iris), que fue bombardeado por el servicio secreto francés en 1985. Es todo un símbolo de la historia reciente de Nueva Zelanda, si no sabéis o no recordáis lo que pasó, podéis leerlo aquí: Rainbow Warrior. La cosa es que para bucear en los restos de un naufragio hay que tener el certificado “avanzado”, y nosotros sólo tenemos el “básico”, con lo que no podríamos haber ido con ninguna agencia. Pero sabíamos (por una amiga que fue con él) que uno del pueblo va a pescar langostas de vez en cuando y no le importa hacer de guía sin importarle las formalidades, y te alquila todo el equipo también, así que nos fuimos a ver si podíamos convencerle, pero cuando llegamos nos encontramos con que estaba “cerrado por temporada”. ¡Maldición! Nos quedamos con las ganas. Tendremos que volver cuándo tengamos más experiencia!

Nuestro tiempo en Nueva Zelanda tocaba a su fín, y después de comprobar los pocos viajeros que había en esta época del año, empezamos a preocuparnos de que podría llevarnos bastante tiempo vender la furgoneta, con lo que decidimos regresar a Auckland al día siguiente. Ya habíamos puesto anuncios en periódicos y páginas de internet, pero en varios días sólo habíamos tenido una consulta, lo que no ayudó a tranquilizarnos. Pasamos otra noche con nuestros nuevos amigos ya que nos pillaban a medio camino, y nos plantamos en Auckland al día siguiente. Fuimos a preguntar a un par de sitios de compraventa de autocaravanas, pero nos dijeron que nos olvidáramos, que en temporada baja no compraban nada. También probamos suerte en una feria de coches el domingo por la mañana, pero nada, sólo dos personas mostraron un poquito de interés y no la vendimos. Luego malgastamos dos días en un " mercado de coches para mochileros " (traducido así, literalmente), esperando que apareciera alguien y se interesara, ya que era lo mejorcito que había en el sitio, pero nada, no apareció ni un alma.

Y entonces nos empezó a entrar el pánico. ¿Qué íbamos a hacer con el trasto? ¡No podíamos abandonarlo en mitad de la calle y tirar un buen puñado de dinero por el desagüe! Al final nos pusimos en contacto con nuestros caseros de Christchurch quienes, por una pequeña comisión, aceptaron quedarse con ella y venderla en nuestro nombre cuando llegue el buen tiempo y, con él, los turistas. De modo que tuvimos que volver a recorrernos la mitad del país otra vez.

Alternándonos para conducir y sin apenas parar, logramos plantarnos en Christchurch en dos días (incluyendo el cruce en ferry), y pasamos los dos últimos días de nuestra experiencia kiwi de vuelta en el piso, vaciando y poniendo en orden la furgoneta, y empaquetando nuestras mochilas de nuevo, por primera vez en 6 meses.

Nos resultó difícil de creer que hubiéramos pasado 6 meses en este país maravilloso donde tan a menudo nos sentimos como en casa. Este país que nos había ofrecido horas de diversión, grandes experiencias, y el día más feliz de nuestras vidas. Sin duda alguna regresaremos un día.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 34


Advertisement

BAY OF ISLANDSBAY OF ISLANDS
BAY OF ISLANDS

"Hole in the Rock" (very imaginative name indeed) ********* "Agujero en la Roca" (mucha imaginación le han echado al nombre)
JUST MARRIED / RECIEN CASADOSJUST MARRIED / RECIEN CASADOS
JUST MARRIED / RECIEN CASADOS

... just... 3 months ago... / ... recién... hace 3 meses...
NATIONAL HIGHWAY 1 / AUTOPISTA NACIONAL no. 1NATIONAL HIGHWAY 1 / AUTOPISTA NACIONAL no. 1
NATIONAL HIGHWAY 1 / AUTOPISTA NACIONAL no. 1

This is indeed part of the main (and only) road linking the North and the South Islands ********* Esta es de verdad una parte de la carretera principal (y la única) que une a las dos islas


20th July 2007

Good memories and great idea
I love the fact that you are producing your blog in both English and Spanish. What a good idea! Also, the pix of the glowworm caves helped me go back to our trip to NZ. I think that was the most magical part of the whole trip. I was just overcome with a feeling of wonder and happiness at the little lights on the ceiling. Both my husband and I really enjoyed that experience. Keep up the interesting blog.
21st July 2007

Carvings
Hey - well done with those carvings guys. I have a necklace with the fish hook on, but I love the whale one. When you get back you can have a go at making me one!

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb