Winter Weather


Advertisement
Published: April 25th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We survived the storm that would have sent Florida natives running for the hurricane shelters. Winds raged at 120km/hr and rain pounded our little house. Today the sun appeared and all is well.

Fortunately it was a 3 day weekend, so we didn't have to work in the weather. Monday was Anzac Day, the celebration of the Australians and Kiwis at Gallipoli. Unlike our own Memorial Day, people actually observe it. Many stores and restaurants were closed for the day.

Today we spent hiking through East Harbor Park and monitoring the stream that runs through it. The water was a chilly 8 degrees, but most of us braved it in the name of science to measure the water quality. I love how Wellington offers the opportunity to be so near nature while civilization is just around the corner. No wonder the Kiwis are so friendly, nature brings them peace in a busy world.

Last Friday we had a chance to get out on the open water. The wind in our hair, the sea mist on our face, and a couple of sick people puking below deck, I love sailing. Unfortunately some of the team didn't enjoy the trip so much, but for me I feel so free riding on the bow overlooking an eternity of water. We didn't see any wildlife today, but on many sails seals, dolphins, and penguins are spotted, so maybe next time!

For now, it's time to cuddle up in a cafe with an espresso and a good book. Cheers for now!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb