Dolphins, BBQs & Blue Skies / Delfines, Barbacoas y Cielo Azul


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland » Cape Reinga
March 10th 2009
Published: March 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=3AU-7WUt5jU][youtube=prK6iQH7viI][youtube=MpaUW1enNLU][youtube=unht2g2yPHw][youtube=qa3awWv54y8][youtube=xY25T1VINaU][youtube=qhE_61nX3Wg][youtube=DL1Cvk2kVAc]

English version





As I sit in our lounge and ponder over where to start this new blog page, I can't help looking up every few seconds to look at the views from the window... and feel a strong urge to pinch myself. It's siesta time on a Friday as I start writing this and it's wonderfully peaceful; it's also rather warm so hopefully I won't fall asleep!

The corrugated bit of metal you can see in the first picture is our garage's roof, the green field is a college's sports ground. The blue bit is our very own portion of South Pacific Ocean! We still haven't managed to spot any whales or dolphins, even though there was a small whale in the bay for about 3 weeks, but we only found out at the very last minute and didn't get to see it. Sadly, it was disorientated and malnourished, and after a few failed attempts
Orewa Gypsy Fair / Feria Gitana en OrewaOrewa Gypsy Fair / Feria Gitana en OrewaOrewa Gypsy Fair / Feria Gitana en Orewa

They looked more like hippies than gypsies to me... cool mobile houses though! *** A mi me parecieron mas hippies que gitanos, ¡pero que casas mas chulas!
to guide it back into the open ocean, it had to be put to be euthanised. Anyway, sorry, I shouldn't have started with a sad story!

When I wrote the previous blog we had just moved into the new house and were busy settling down. It didn't take us long to buy the few bits and pieces we needed, some new, some second hand after scouring the local garage sales over a few Saturday mornings (on my own, Mark would rather poke himself in the eye with a sharp stick). It didn't take us long to settle, of course the good weather and the lovely views certainly helped!

Shortly afterwards we had our first visitors, Rob & Carmen. They're another English/Spanish travelling couple who made contact with us via travelblog a couple of years ago, whilst we were in New Zealand and they were in Australia. We kept up to date with each other's movements via our respective blogs, and when they finally made it to New Zealand at the end of last year, we took the chance to meet up in person. It was during the final week of their trip and we think they were grateful
Orewa Gypsy Fair / Feria Gitana en OrewaOrewa Gypsy Fair / Feria Gitana en OrewaOrewa Gypsy Fair / Feria Gitana en Orewa

One of the many colourful stalls *** Uno de los muchos y coloridos puestos
to swap their small campervan for a "proper" bed for a couple of nights (oh, how we remember the feeling!!!). We enjoyed our couple of days with them, it was lovely having visitors and for me it was particularly nice to be able to speak Spanish again, especially with someone with the sweetest Seville accent! They are both now back in London and we hear they're not enjoying it much... We hope it all works out well for them in the end!

It wasn't long before Christmas was upon us. Needless to say, with 30ºC outside and trees and flowers in full bloom, it was a bit difficult to get into the spirit of things. Having a bbq outside whilst covering ourselves in sun block on Christmas day also felt a bit weird... but I'm sure we'll get used to it! We spent Christmas day with 2 couples we've made friends with, stayed over at the hosts' house overnight to avoid drunken people on the road, and then joined a bigger group of people on Boxing Day to eat each other's leftovers. It made a change from the traditional stuffed turkey and not a single sprout in sight! Excellent!
Rob & Carmen, Shakespear ParkRob & Carmen, Shakespear ParkRob & Carmen, Shakespear Park

Guess who had to run and jump on the frame and who had time to pose! *** Adivinad quien tuvo que correr y subirse al marco de un salto y quien tuvo tiempo para posar


New Year's Eve was another quiet yet very enjoyable affair. We were invited to someone else's house in the evening and met a new bunch of people. Actually, when I said we were invited, I actually mean we just latched on to a couple of friends and they took us there, that's the kiwi way of doing things, if you're a friend of a friend, you're welcome to come along! The local expression is "bring a plate" (which doesn't mean an empty one! one with food on it) and your own drinks and that's it.

I'd love to be able to write a few pages telling you we've been up to lots of thrilling, adventurous and even dangerous things, and visited lots of exciting places, as I know some of you are expecting that kind of thing from us and I hate to disappoint people... but this is not the round-the-world trip anymore, all the things we'd love to do cost money... (and a fair bit of it) and our savings have taken a huge blow just by coming here and setting up home, so I'm afraid we've had a rather tame summer.

We did treat ourselves
Peacock / Pavo RealPeacock / Pavo RealPeacock / Pavo Real

(Shakespear Park)
to some snorkelling gear, but the nearest place worth snorkelling in is an hour's drive away. We also treated ourselves to a couple of days out and a week away with Mark's parents, who visited us for a couple of months between January and March (with a one-month intermission to travel round the South Island).

Once they had recovered from the jetlag, we took a day to visit Tiritiri Matangi Island ("tossed by wind" in Maori), a small island that has been made into a nature reserve. The island had been previously farmed, and it's taken about 40 years and the effort of many volunteers to bring the island to its present state. They planted over 250,000 native trees and shrubs and got rid of the Polynesian rat so that both plant and bird life could thrive. The island is now home to over 70 different species of birds, including many endangered ones that are struggling in the mainland, like the kiwi and the takahe (both flightless and as such easy prey to predators). We have a picture of George, a resident of the island, a very determined takahe that comes over and tries to steal food right from under your nose. As you can see, they are pretty big birds!

February was a quiet month, Mark worked quite hard to make up for the days he didn't work when his parents arrived and then for the time he wanted to take off to spend a week away with them. He's really enjoying working from home and is very happy with how things are going, the only problem is that because he often needs/wants to talk to his colleagues back in the UK, and there's a 13 hour time difference, he ends up working until very late in the evenings. Ah well, can't have it all I guess!

Mark's parents came back from the South Island towards the middle of the month, having packed in penguins, whales, dolphins, boat trips, a helicopter flight, a glow worm cave and a fair few other activities into their 4 week schedule (funnily enough, they didn't fancy giving bungee jumping a go), I think they'll be editing pictures until next Christmas!

So, for our week away we decided to go and explore the northern-most areas. First stop for 3 nights was the Bay of Islands, one of the most visited
Pohutukawa (Metrosideros excelsa)Pohutukawa (Metrosideros excelsa)Pohutukawa (Metrosideros excelsa)

"Kiwi Christmas Tree", it blooms in December *** "Arbol de Navidad Kiwi", florece en diciembre
areas in New Zealand, popular for the dolphin sight-seeing trips, but it's also a favourite sailing and fishing destination.

Russell is one of its most popular spots, a very quaint town which boasts being the first permanent European settlement in New Zealand, sometime in the early 1800s). Back then it wasn't as picturesque as today though, in fact it was known as the "Hell Hole of the Pacific". The resident Maori population were keen to trade with the strangers, and would give them food and timber in exchange for firearms and alcohol amongst other things. The community soon became known for the lack of law enforcement and the high levels of prostitution. Later it developed into an important trade centre for whaling and sealing operations. Today it's mostly a touristic destination, many of the houses in town are either holiday homes or touristic accommodation, so whilst the place is buzzing in summer, it's a sleepy spot in winter (mind you, that could be said for much of the country!).

The dolphin sight-seeing day trip was absolutely fantastic. The day in itself was rather gloomy but I guess that was a blessing in disguise as otherwise we would've fried on the boat. We found a pod pretty quickly, it's just amazing to see how the dolphins love interacting with the boats and actively seek them out - even following them when they start moving away. You would've thought they were circus-trained, they kept leaping out of the water and doing acrobatics as if to show off in front of us. Naturally, we know they're not doing it for our benefit, they just enjoy playing in the wake generated by the boat, but still, they often swim sideways as if looking up at you from the corner of their eyes, and you wonder who's more fascinated by whom! We could've stayed there risking sea sickness all day.

After the Bay of Islands we moved North to a small place called Kaitaia, from here we took a day-long coach trip up to Cape Reinga via twisty, dusty roads and came back down via 90 Mile Beach, a much smoother ride! Now, Cape Reinga is advertised as the northern-most point in the New Zealand mainland, but this is not true. The northern most point is actually a place called North Cape, about 30kms to the east, but there is no public
Orewa Beach (Playa de Orewa)Orewa Beach (Playa de Orewa)Orewa Beach (Playa de Orewa)

bad hair day, it was a bit windy... ***** que pelos, es que hacia viento...
access there.

Cape Reinga's name comes from the Maori word "Reinga", which means "Underworld". Another Maori name for the Cape is "Te Rerenga Wairua", which means "the leaping-off place of spirits". According to Maori mythology, the spirits of the dead travel to Cape Reinga and leap off an 800-year old Pohutukawa tree (not the one in the picture though) on their journey to the afterlife.

After a brief stop to allow the more playful passengers on the coach to try out dune surfing, we started our way back along the famous Ninety Mile beach. Ninety Mile Beach is actually only 55 miles long. Although the origins of the name are unknown, it has been speculated that it may come from the days when missionaries travelled the country on horseback. They multiplied the average number of miles a horse could travel on a day (30) by the number of days it took them to travel along the beach (3); however, they didn't account for the slower pace at which the horses walked in the sand.

In any case, it was quite cool to travel down an impossibly straight beach which is actually an official motorway with a 100km/hr
Fern / HelechoFern / HelechoFern / Helecho

(Tiritiri Matangi Island)
speed limit! (and the only alternative route to the main road). You should however take care to avoid travelling two hours either side of the high tide as many cars have been lost over the years, you can see bits of rusty metal poking out of the sand in a couple of places which once were road-worthy vehicles. We also stopped half way down to pick up some clam-like molluscs called Pipi (endemic to New Zealand); our driver, armed with a pen-knife, dutifully opened them up for us to eat as if they were peanuts. Mark and his parents were brave enough to try them, but there was absolutely no way I was going to put something that looks like a giant bogie in my mouth.

After our little holiday we went for an afternoon out in Auckland, we climbed the Sky Tower and in the evening we went to see Billy Connolly live. Mark's parents hired themselves a car for a couple of days and went away to explore a bit of the Coromandel Peninsula. A couple of days later they'd be waving us goodbye, it was lovely to have spent some time with them and I think
Lighthouse / FaroLighthouse / FaroLighthouse / Faro

(Tiritiri Matangi Island)
they're already planning their next visit... in the meantime, I think they'll be making everyone jealous back home with stories of what I believe they'll remember as a holiday of a lifetime. Indeed Mark's dad said on their last evening here that it "felt wrong" going back to the UK, so I guess that means they can now understand a bit better why we fell in love with the country and why we feel so at home here... even if that means we can't join them for impromptu canasta games anymore...

As we approached the end of the summer, we decided to take a look in the end-of-season sales and bought ourselves a BBQ, at last! It's not something we'll use a lot on our own, I don't think, but it'll make life a lot easier when having friends round in the summer. At least for me, it means a night off from cooking duties, everyone knows the man of the house is the BBQ king! And there's a picture to prove it.

Just wanted to add before I sign off, that we are really, really loving it here. We have joined swimming lessons on Monday mornings to
TakaheTakaheTakahe

(Tiritiri Matangi Island) One of NZ's indigenous birds *** Una de las aves indigenas de NZ
become more confident in the water, now that we live so near it! We should really go at least once more during the week on our own, but are too lazy... see if we can change that as it's very good exercise. We've also joined a "learn how to draw" course on Wednesday mornings. Being able to draw better than your average 5 year old is something we've both wanted to do for a long time, so thought we'd take the chance to do it now that we can. Both courses are during the day and this is another reason why Mark ends up working late nights! But we think it's worth it, we're a long way from winning any swimming races or exhibiting our work in art galleries but the main thing is we're enjoying it.

We're also loving the weather, we did have a few weeks when it was a bit too hot for one of us (not me!), but you can't beat the blue skies we get on an almost daily basis. There's only two downsides to the summer heat: one is the cicadas, they're horrendously loud and if one decides to stop near an open
Chilling out / De relaxChilling out / De relaxChilling out / De relax

(Tiritiri Matangi Island)
window you have a guaranteed headache after 5 minutes. Horrible things! Thank goodness they've died off now, 10 months of blissful silence ahead! Another downside is sunburn... I bet more than one of you was thinking how pale we look after a summer in the sunshine... Well to be honest we don't give a monkey's about getting suntanned, so have been actively avoiding going out during the hottests hours of the day and smothering ourselves in SPF 30 suncream when we do go out . I'm not going to lie, I'd love to have inherited proper Spanish olive skin.... I don't find pale skin attractive. But since I haven't, I'm not going to fry myself on purpose just to be a bit brown for a couple of months. The sun is vicious here... we have a hole in the ozone layer almost directly above us, and with no pollution to absorb the rays, the country has the highest rates of malignant melanoma in the world. Quite frankly, I'd rather be pale than put my health at risk in the name of "beauty"!! Not to mention the wrinkles and sun damage marks I'm avoiding, thus looking years younger than my... ahem...
Sea urchins, Red Beach (near home) / Erizos de mar, Red Beach (cerca de casa) Sea urchins, Red Beach (near home) / Erizos de mar, Red Beach (cerca de casa) Sea urchins, Red Beach (near home) / Erizos de mar, Red Beach (cerca de casa)

And an unfortunate camera angle, I'm not that badly made! *** Y un angulo de camara desafortunado, ¡no estoy tan mal hecha!
thirty something years.

Will leave the anniversary and birthday stories for the next blog... hopefully it won’t take me over 3 months to write it!

Love and kisses.

************************************************

Versión en español






Según estoy aquí sentada en el salón pesando por dónde empezar esta página, no puedo evitar levantar la mirada de vez en cuando para admirar la vista a través de la ventana… y casi siento la necesidad de pellizcarme. Es viernes por la tarde, la hora de la siesta, y aparte de algún coche, apenas se oye un ruido. También hace bastante calorcito, ¡de modo que espero no quedarme dormida!

El trozo de metal corrugado que se ve en la primera foto es el tejado del garage, el campo verde es el patio de recreo de un colegio. Y la parte azul es nuestro pedacito de Océano Pacífico. Aún no hemos logrado divisar ballenas ni delfines, aunque el mes pasado tuvimos una ballena joven en la bahía durante 3 semanas. No llegamos a verla porque nos enteramos
Chiton (Chitón)Chiton (Chitón)Chiton (Chitón)

It's a mollusc, similar to a limpet *** Es un molusco, parecido a una lapa
a última hora, y tristemente tuvieron que sacrificarla porque estaba muy malnutrida y desorientada y todos los intentos de guiarla hacia mar abierto fallaron.

Pero bueno, lo siento, ¡no debería haber empezado con una historia triste!

Terminé la página anterior según nos habíamos mudado a la casa nueva y estábamos liados organizándonos y asentándonos. No tardamos mucho tiempo en comprar las cosillas que nos hacían falta, algunas nuevas, algunas de segunda mano tras peinarme la zona durante varios sábados en busca de gangas en las "ventas de garage" (como habréis visto en las películas americanas), yo sola, porque Mark prefiere cortarse las ventas antes que venir conmigo a este tipo de cosas. Total, que no tardamos mucho en sentirnos totalmente asentados, ¡por supuesto las vistas y el buen tiempo ayudaron bastante!

Poco después tuvimos nuestra primera visita, Rob y Carmen, otra pareja anglo-española, que se había puesto en contacto con nosotros a través de travelblog hace un par de años, cuando nosotros estábamos aquí en Nueva Zelanda y ellos en Australia. Nos mantuvimos al día de nuestras aventuras respectivas a través de estas páginas, y cuando por fín planearon su visita a Nueva Zelanda, decidimos aprovechar la
Green Lipped Mussels / Mejillones VerdesGreen Lipped Mussels / Mejillones VerdesGreen Lipped Mussels / Mejillones Verdes

Another local delicacy, you can buy them at the supermarket, or get them from the local beach for free! (I'm not touching either) *** Otra delicia local, los puedes comprar en el super, o pillarlos gratis en la playa (yo ni los toco)
oportunidad para conocernos en persona. Se pasaron por aquí durante los últimos días de su visita, y creo que agradecieron el poder canjear la autocaravana por una cama "de verdad" por un par de noches (aaah, ¡cómo nos acordamos de lo que es aquello!). La verdad es que disfrutamos de los dos días que pasamos con ellos, nos gustó mucho tener visita y para mí en particular fue muy agradable el poder hablar español otra vez, especialmente con alguien con un acento sevillano súper dulce. Ahora ya han vuelto a Londres, y por lo que hemos oído, no están muy felices… Esperamos que todo les salga bien al final.

Poco después se nos echaron las Navidades encima. La verdad es que con 30ºC y los árboles y las flores en pleno apogeo, se nos hizo difícil entrar en ambiente. Eso de preparar una barbacoa en el jardín y tener que embadurnarnos en crema para no quemarnos, en vez de comer el tradicional pavo asado… se hizo un poco raro, ¡pero estoy segura de que nos acostumbraremos! El día de Navidad lo pasamos con dos parejas de quien nos hemos hecho amigos, nos quedamos a dormir en casa de los
Funny rock formation / Formacion rocosa curiosaFunny rock formation / Formacion rocosa curiosaFunny rock formation / Formacion rocosa curiosa

(Red Beach). Near home *** Cerca de casa
anfitriones para evitar a los borrachos en la carretera, y el día siguiente nos juntamos con otro grupo más grande en otra casa para compartir todas las sobras del día anterior.

Nochevieja la pasamos tranquila, nos invitaron a la casa de alguien que no conocíamos pero así es como funcionan aquí las cosas, si eres amigo de un amigo y traes comida y bebidas, te reciben con los brazos abiertos.

Total, que me encantaría poder contaros que hemos hecho un montón de cosas emocionantes, arriesgadas e incluso peligrosas, y que hemos visitado muchos sitios excitantes, como se que algunos de vosotros esperáis, pero siento defraudar... esto ya no es la aventura de la vuelta al mundo y todas las cosas que nos gustaría hacer cuestan dinero (y bastante) y por desgracia nuestros ahorros han sufrido un palo gordo sólo con venir aquí y luego instalándonos, con lo que el verano ha pasado sin grandes emociones.

Sí nos dimos el capricho de comprarnos al menos el equipo mínimo para ir de snorkelling, pero en las playas que tenemos cerca no hay gran cosa que ver, el sitio más cercano donde merece la pena ir esta a una hora en coche, con lo que no es que puedas ir todos los días.

Los padres de Mark vinieron de visita dos meses de enero a marzo (entre medias se fueron un mes a ver la Isla Sur). Una vez se recuperaron de la palicilla del viaje (y del desfase horario) salimos un día a visitar Tiritiri Matangi Island, una isla que tenemos al final de la península. En maorí significa "sacudida por el viento" y tras haber sido usada para cultivos y ganado durante muchos años, ahora es una reserva natural. Gracias a los esfuerzos de empleados del departamento de conservación y un montón de voluntarios a lo largo de 40 años, durante los cuales plantaron más de 250.000 árboles y arbustos nativos, y erradicaron a la rata de Polinesia, la isla es ahora un hogar seguro para unas 70 especies de aves. Entre estas se encuentran especies en peligro de extinción, como el takahe y el kiwi, ninguno de los cuales puede volar, con lo que son presa fácil de los depredadores. Hemos colgado una foto de George, un residente de la isla, un takahe muy atrevido que viene a robarte la comida ante tus mismas narices, como
Bike racing / Carreras de motosBike racing / Carreras de motosBike racing / Carreras de motos

Our friend Rick in second position *** Nuestro amigo Rick en segunda posicion
veréis no son nada pequeños.

Febrero fue un mes tranquilo, Mark trabajó bastantes horas para recuperar el tiempo "perdido" mientras estuvieron aquí sus padres, y para compensar por la semana de vacaciones que nos íbamos a coger con ellos. La verdad es que le está gustando el chollo éste de poder trabajar desde casa en pantalón corto, el único problema es que como a menudo quiere o necesita hablar con sus colegas en Inglaterra, y la diferencia horaria es de 13 horas, acabamos yéndonos a la cama a las tantas. Bueno, ¡supongo que no se puede tener todo!

Los suegros volvieron de su visita a la Isla Sur a mediados de mes, habiendo logrado hacer un poco de todo, vieron ballenas, pingüinos, delfines, hicieron un par de viajes en barco, un vuelo en helicóptero, visitaron una cueva de luciérnagas... y varias cosas más, todo en unas 4 semanas, aunque por algún motivo no se animaron a hacer un bungee... creo que van a estar editando fotos hasta Navidad.

La semana de vacaciones nos la tomamos para ir a explorar el norte de la isla. La primera parada fue la Bay of Islands (Bahía de las Islas), una
Relay Bike Racing / Carrera de Motos de RelevoRelay Bike Racing / Carrera de Motos de RelevoRelay Bike Racing / Carrera de Motos de Relevo

Instead of passing a baton, they had to get into a pair of big pants, very funny to watch! *** En vez de pasarse un baton, se tenian que pasar un par de calzoncillos, ¡muy entretenido de ver!
de las zonas más visitadas del país, tan popular por sus viajes en barco para ver e incluso nadar con delfines, como por ser un buen destino para dedicarse a la vela o a la pesca.

Russell es uno de sus rincones más famosos, un pueblo costero muy acogedor, que puede presumir de haber sido el primer asentamiento Europeo permanente en Nueva Zelanda, allá por principios del siglo XIX. Aunque por aquellos entonces no era tan pintoresco, de hecho se le conocía como "El Agujero Infernal del Pacifico". A la población maorí le interesó hacer negocios con los extranjeros para poder canjear comida y madera por alcohol y armas de fuego, entre otras cosas. El lugar no tardó en adquirir mala fama por ser un sitio al margen de la ley con un alto nivel de prostitución. Más adelante se convirtió en un centro de comercio importante en torno a operaciones de caza de ballena y focas. Hoy día es principalmente un destino turístico, y la mayoría de las casas son o bien alojamientos turísticos, o casas de vacaciones, con lo que aunque tiene mucha vidilla en el verano, en invierno pasaría casi desapercibido (bueno, ¡la verdad es que lo mismo se podría decir de prácticamente el resto del país también!).

El viaje en barco fue genial, en particular el rato que pasamos con los delfines. El día estuvo nublado y bastante gris, pero la verdad es que mejor así porque si no, nos habríamos torrado. Encontramos un grupo de delfines enseguida, qué maravilla verlos saltar fuera del agua y hacer piruetas en el aire, les encanta acercarse a los barcos y curiosear, hasta te persiguen cuando empiezas a alejarte. Evidentemente sabemos que no lo hacen para manteneros entretenidos a nosotros, sino porque les gusta a ellos jugar en la estela creada por el barco, pero incluso así, cuando los ves nadando de lado como mirándote de reojillo, ¡te preguntas quien está más fascinado con quién! Nos hubiéramos quedado ahí con ellos todo el día sin problemas.

Tras la visita a la Bay of Islands nos dirigimos más al Norte a un pueblo llamado Kaitaia, desde donde nos unimos a una excursión en autocar que nos llevaría hasta Cape Reinga por tortuosas y polvorientas carreteras (sin asfaltar), para regresar a lo largo de la Ninety Mile Beach (Playa de Noventa Millas), ¡mucho mejor carretera! Aunque al Cabo Reinga se le conoce como el punto más al norte de Nueva Zelanda (sólo contando las dos islas principales), la verdad es que no lo es, el punto más al norte es otro llamado North Cape (Cabo Norte), a unos 30 kms al este, pero no tiene acceso público.

Reinga es una palabra maorí que significa "ultratumba". Otro nombre maorí que se le da al cabo es "Te Rerenga Wairua", que significa "lugar donde saltan los espíritus". De acuerdo con la mitología maorí, los espíritus de los muertos viajan hasta el Cabo Reinga y saltan desde un Pohutukawa (un árbol indígena de aquí, como el de la foto) para encaminarse hacia el más allá.

Tras una breve parada para que los viajeros más intrépidos hicieran surfing en las dunas de arena, comenzamos el camino de regreso a lo largo de la famosa Playa de Noventa Millas. Noventa millas que son en realidad solo 55 (unos 88 kms.). No se sabe con certeza de dónde le viene el nombre erróneo, pero se ha conjeturado que pude venirle de la época en que los misioneros viajaban a caballo. Multiplicaron el número de millas que, de media, podía cubrir un caballo en un día (30) por el número de días que tardaban en recorrerse la playa (3); sin embargo, no contaron con que los caballos caminaban a un paso más lento sobre la arena.

En cualquier caso, es una chulada eso de viajar en coche a lo largo de una playa que parece imposible que sea tan recta, ¡y que es además una autopista oficial con un límite de velocidad de 100 kms / hora! (y la única ruta alternativa si la carretera principal se ve cortada). Los que quieran disfrutar de la experiencia deberían sin embargo tener cuidado de evitar hacerlo dos horas antes y después de la marea alta. Muchos son los coches que se han quedado estancados en la arena y en un par de sitios aún se pueden ver cómo sobresalen algunos trozos de metal oxidado que en su día eran vehículos en acción.

También paramos a mitad de camino para saborear lo que para algunos es una delicia de mar, una especie de chirla que los nativos llaman Pipi. El conductor, armado con una navaja de bolsillo, se dedicó a abrir una tras otra para que los turistas se las pudieran comer como si
Ugly Betty? / ¿Betty la Fea?Ugly Betty? / ¿Betty la Fea?Ugly Betty? / ¿Betty la Fea?

Love how quirky and colourful they make the city *** Me encanta el aspecto colorido y estrafalario que le dan a la ciudad
fueran pipas. Mark fue valiente y probó un par de ellas, ¡¡yo dije que ni borracha me iba a meter algo en la boca con pinta de moco gigante!!.

Tras nuestras minis vacaciones pasamos una tarde en Auckland, subimos a la Sky Tower y fuimos a ver un cómico escocés muy famoso, Billy Connolly, que estaba de gira en el país. Es muy famoso en el mundo anglo-parlante, muy prolífico, no sólo como cómico, también como actor y escritor de documentales de viaje. Entre muchas otras películas, salió en Mrs Brown y El Ultimo Samurai. Los suegros se alquilaron un coche un par de días y se fueron a visitar la Península Coromandel, y un par de días después nos dijeron adiós, se iban tristes pero a la vez muy contentos y llenos de recuerdos de lo que describieron como probablemente las mejores vacaciones de su vida, considerando la cantidad de experiencias nuevas que disfrutaron durante su estancia. Creo que ya están planeando la próxima visita... que nos pille confesaos. Disfrutamos de la compañía pero yo agradecí recuperar el cuarto de baño (esto no lo he puesto en la versión inglesa). Al menos esperamos que la experiencia les haya servido para entender por qué nos enamoramos del país y por qué nos sentimos tan a gusto aquí.

Ya que nos acercábamos al final del verano, decidimos mirar en las rebajas de fín de temporada, y nos hemos comprado una barbacoa, ¡por fín! No estamos seguros de que sea algo que vayamos a utilizar los dos solos muy a menudo, pero vendrá muy bien para cuando tengamos visitas, al menos significará que una noche no tendré que cocinar, y es que como todo el mundo sabe, el hombre de la casa es el rey de la barbacoa. Y tengo una foto para demostrarlo.

Bueno, pues eso es más o menos todo, pero antes de despedirme, solo quería añadir que estamos más que encantados de estar aquí. Nos hemos apuntado a clases de natación los miércoles por la mañana ya que ninguno de los dos éramos grandes nadadores, y ahora que vivimos tan cerca del agua queremos sentirnos más seguros en ella. También nos hemos apuntado a un cursillo para aprender a dibujar mejor que un niño de cinco años, algo que los dos hemos querido hacer desde hace mucho tiempo así que pensamos que mejor aprovechábamos ahora ya
Funky toilets / Baños chulosFunky toilets / Baños chulosFunky toilets / Baños chulos

Hundertwasser Toilets, Kawakawa
que podemos. Aún nos queda mucho camino por recorrer antes de poder competir en carreras de natación o de que nos expongan nuestros trabajos en una galería de arte, pero bueno, lo importante es que lo estamos disfrutando.

También estamos disfrutando mucho del tiempo, esto sí que es un verano en condiciones y no lo que he sufrido durante los últimos 14 años. Aunque uno de nosotros (¡no soy yo!) se queja de que durante varias semanas hico demasiado calor. Quita, quita. Tuvimos una semana aquí y otra allá que hizo mal tiempo, pero por lo general hemos podido disfrutar de cielos azules a diario, y la verdad menuda diferencia.

Sólo dos inconvenientes a mencionar... uno son las jodías cigarras que arman un estruendo espantoso y como se coloque una junto a una ventana abierta tienes un dolor de cabeza garantizado en cinco minutos. Menos mal que ya se han muerto las de este año y tenemos 10 meses de descanso. El otro es el riesgo de quemaduras de sol. Seguro que a más de uno se os ha ocurrido al ver las fotos que estamos muy blanquitos para haber pasado un verano en el sol… Pues la
Russell, Bay of IslandsRussell, Bay of IslandsRussell, Bay of Islands

A very turistic destination in the area *** Un destino muy turistico en la zona
verdad es que nos importa un comino el no ponernos morenos, hemos evitado el ponernos al sol lo más posible y cuando hemos salido nos hemos embadurnado en crema. No voy a mentir, me encantaría haber heredado una piel color aceituna, pues no es que me parezca atractivo ser tan paliducha, pero como no ha sido así, lo que no voy a hacer es freírme adrede para estar morena un par de meses. El sol es feroz aquí... tenemos un agujero en la capa de ozono prácticamente encima, y al no haber polución que absorba los rayos, el país (y en particular la zona de Auckland) tiene el mayor número de casos de melanoma maligno en el mundo. Vamos, que francamente, prefiero estar pálida que arriesgarme a pillar un cáncer en nombre de la "belleza". Por no mencionar la de arrugas y otras marcas de daño solar que me estoy ahorrando... por eso aparento menos años de los… ejem… treintaytantos que tengo….

Bueno, corto el rollo, dejo las historias de aniversario de boda y cumpleaños para la próxima... que espero no tardar otros 3 meses en escribir.

Besos para todos.

PD. Los videos son: una gaviota "bailando"
Blubber pots / Olla de grasa de ballenaBlubber pots / Olla de grasa de ballenaBlubber pots / Olla de grasa de ballena

(Russell, Bay of Islands) Used to melt whale blubber to turn it into oil *** Usadas para derretir la grasa de las ballenas y convertirla en aceite
para desenterrar bichitos, muy graciosa, unos chinitos cantando la canción del do-re-mi de la pelicula Sonrisas y Lágrimas en inglés y en chino, cuatro de delfines, uno en el barco atravesando el "Agujero en la Roca" (sitio famoso en La Bay of Islands), y el último es Mark haciendo rechinar la arena en la playa de Rarawa (la de la foto). Pinchad aquí si los queréis ver todos juntos (en vez de tener que abrir cada uno individualmente).



Additional photos below
Photos: 53, Displayed: 44


Advertisement

Dolphin / DelfinDolphin / Delfin
Dolphin / Delfin

(Bay of Islands)
Dolphin / DelfinDolphin / Delfin
Dolphin / Delfin

(Bay of Islands)
Dolphin / DelfinDolphin / Delfin
Dolphin / Delfin

(Bay of Islands)
Reflections / ReflejosReflections / Reflejos
Reflections / Reflejos

(Bay of Islands)
Maori Carving / Talla MaoriMaori Carving / Talla Maori
Maori Carving / Talla Maori

Waitangi Treaty Grounds (Jardines del Tratado de Waitangi), Bay of Islands
Wharenui, Waitangi Treaty Grounds, Bay of IslandsWharenui, Waitangi Treaty Grounds, Bay of Islands
Wharenui, Waitangi Treaty Grounds, Bay of Islands

A wharenui is a Maori meeting house *** Un wharenui es un centro de reuniones maori
California Quail / Codorniz  californianaCalifornia Quail / Codorniz  californiana
California Quail / Codorniz californiana

Callipepla californica (Bay of Islands)
Rarawa BeachRarawa Beach
Rarawa Beach

The beautiful white sand is so fine that it squeaks! *** Esta maravilla de arena tan blanca es tan fina que rechina
Oceans Collide / Colision de OceanosOceans Collide / Colision de Oceanos
Oceans Collide / Colision de Oceanos

Tasman Sea (left) meets the Pacific Ocean (right) *** El Mar de Tasmania (izquierda) se junta con el Oceano Pacifico (derecha)
Lighthouse / FaroLighthouse / Faro
Lighthouse / Faro

(Cape Reinga)


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 10; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb