A $200 worth picture / Una foto de 200 dolares


Advertisement
Published: June 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Mt Taranaki


Birthday Dinner / Cena de CumpleañosBirthday Dinner / Cena de CumpleañosBirthday Dinner / Cena de Cumpleaños

In our local restaurant, not my best picture!! *** En nuestro restaurante local, qué poco favorecida salgo...

English version


Ok, so it finally happened. I knew it had to at some point, had been expecting it, but still came as a bit of a shock. It’s winter and I’m having to wear more than one layer!!!!!! Noooooooo!!! Still, considering that what we’ve had to suffer over the last couple of months is still better than the average British summer, I’m not complaining!!! Particularly after reading the news last week: "Two months of rain in half a day", "Snow in June!" And this is after suffering the coldest winter of the last 12 years (yes, I know this also happened in many other countries) … looks like I had a lucky scape after all!

I guess I never managed to adjust to the colder weather, after all I wasn’t made to survive in a cold and wet climate... it’s not just the temperature, in fact what really used to get me down is the seemingly (to me at least) almost constant lack of blue skies, which is most definitely the one thing I did miss about my country of birth. Not the 40ºC in the shade, mind you, so I’m happy that we’ve found a happy medium here. And yes, we do get plenty of bright blue skies over here. Even when it rains, the sun seems to manage to find a crack through the clouds; I’ve never seen so many rainbows anywhere else!

One downside is that most houses here don’t have double glazing or central heating, so we’re having to get used to hot water bottles and electric blankets... Yes, I do miss having central heating, but having said that, there is something comforting (in a nostalgic kind of way) about hugging a hot water bottle which radiators can’t quite match. I think I’ll be able to get used to them pretty quickly, particularly as winters are not that harsh over here (average winter temperature is 14ºC, we had 5ºC for a few days in May and everyone was shocked!) , but I wouldn’t mind having double glazing again, if only for the noise-abating properties.

Fortunately we have been very lucky (touch wood), we have quiet neighbours around us, and although we live on a fairly main road, the traffic is not particularly distracting. But when there is a noise outside (the neighbour working on his motorbike, someone mowing the lawn, or dogs barking), it does sound like it’s happening right in our living room.

Still, we do find this to be a minor inconvenience in the great scheme of things. Of course there are a few other little things that we are not crazy about, but we choose to turn a blind eye on them for now... after all, we’re still in the honeymoon period and intend to enjoy it for as long as we can! 😊

Moving on. Some comments on the pictures adorning this page... The not-particularly-flattering picture opening the blog was taken on the evening of my birthday. Last time I’ll be able to say I’m "thirty something today"... yikes!!! But let’s not linger on the less pleasant details... We spent the day window-shopping for kayaks, and found one of our local shops had an end-of-season sale that weekend, so we thought we’d go back to spend some money on Sunday. We ended up spending a small fortune on a pair of kayaks, paddles, seats, life vests and flags, but it was worth it as it is great fun and good exercise!

I’ve attached pictures taken on three of the four occasions we’ve been out on them. We took it easy the first time, and just went out for a gentle paddle to try them out in one of the 11 beaches that surround us. That was pretty easy and uneventful. Not so the second time we went out. We wanted to visit Goat Island Marine Reserve, which is a very popular diving and snorkelling spot about an hour’s drive from home (so we spent yet more money on an anchor so we could choose a spot and snorkel around). We learnt a few valuable lessons that day... mostly suitable for beginners like us, but may come in handy to the over confident or those lacking in common sense:

Lesson 1. Don’t attempt kayaking off the East Coast when the "Easterlies" are blowing. Here’s a simple formula to help you remember: "East Coast + Easterlies = BIG waves".

Lesson 2. Lots of waves will make you crash land, you will capsize and your flag will snap in two (as Mark found out). Oh, and you’ll give everyone on the beach a good laugh.

Lesson 3. Trying to take pictures on a rocking kayak will make you lose your balance and you’ll get wet
Waiheke IslandWaiheke IslandWaiheke Island

Vineyards *** Viñedos
(yours truly was surprised by a wave coming sideways at me. Splash!).

Lesson 4. If you attempt to snorkel whilst holding onto your kayak on a windy day, the waves will make you bang your head on your kayak. Bonk bonk bonk.

Lesson 5. When you’re jumping back onto your kayak, don’t hold onto another kayak to steady yourself or you’ll topple that second kayak over and make the other person fall back in the water (particularly if you’re a lot heavier than that second person).

Lesson 6. If you don’t secure your goggles and snorkel to the kayak, they will sink to the bottom of the ocean when you capsize and you’ll lose them forever.

Lesson 7. If you don’t trust the other person when she tells you that said goggles and snorkel didn’t float, don’t try to prove her wrong by letting go of your own goggles and snorkel and watching them sink to the bottom of the ocean too. In summary: expensive day.

Last time we went out it, in April, it felt a little bit chilly, so we haven’t ventured out on them again, but we have now invested in
Waiheke IslandWaiheke IslandWaiheke Island

Vineyards / Viñedos
some neoprene clothing so we can keep warm and still go out on one of the many sunny days when the sea is calm (or, alternatively, we can go down one of the local rivers) and the wind has taken a day off.

For those of you who may know something about kayaks and are wondering why we went for "sit on" rather than "sit in" ones (which are cosier and naturally warmer in winter), the answer is because they cost 2 and 3 times more!! At least with these ones you don’t need to learn how to do a barrel roll or make an emergency exit...

Going back to March (sorry, not keeping the stories in strict chronological order here), it was our second wedding anniversary a few days before my birthday. We had planned to hire a boat for the day and explore a couple of the local islands, but even though the weather conditions on firm land were fairly good, the ones out at sea were not particularly good for L plate drivers, or those prone to sea sickness, so we thought we’d better leave it for another occasion.

We took a half hour
White Faced Heron / Garceta de Cara BlancaWhite Faced Heron / Garceta de Cara BlancaWhite Faced Heron / Garceta de Cara Blanca

Egretta novaehollandiae. Spotted in Waiheke Island / Esta la vimos en Waiheke Island.
ferry and went to visit Waiheke Island instead. We rented a car (cheaper than taking your own on the ferry), and drove all the way round, stopping at a few places to take pictures and admire the scenery. Waiheke is New Zealand’s most densely populated island, with around 7,500 permanent residents in 92 km² (35 sq miles); many people also have second or holiday homes on the island. An estimated 1,000 people commute to Auckland for work (it takes around 35 minutes on the ferry). The island is also renowned for its vineyards, and wine touring is now one of the island’s major tourist attractions; the wine-connoisseurs amongst you might like to know that it’s an ideal growing area for Bordeaux wine-type grapes, as well as some Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc varieties, thanks to its hot, dry summers.

Also at the end of March we went to see the local schools take part in a Soap Box race, which was happening at the end of our road. One of our friend’s kids (pictured) was racing so we thought it’d also be a good excuse to catch up with them. To be perfectly honest, we were slightly disappointed as we
Getting the kayaks wet for the first time / Mojando los kayaks por primera vezGetting the kayaks wet for the first time / Mojando los kayaks por primera vezGetting the kayaks wet for the first time / Mojando los kayaks por primera vez

In Manly, one of our many local beaches *** En Manly, una de nuestras muchas playas locales
were expecting (hoping even) to see lots of weird and wonderful contraptions racing, lovingly assembled by father-and-son teams by nailing together assorted pieces of wood in their sheds, perhaps decorated with acrylic paints and all sorts of bits and bobs to give them individuality and hoping to win first prize for originality and creativity if not for speed, like you see in the old movies. Guess it’s a sign of the times that those things don’t happen anymore, and these days the "soap boxes" are actually nifty little cars that come flat packed from the US and only vary in colour. It kind of loses its charm, don’t you think? Still, it was an enjoyable half day out with our friends which culminated with a BBQ on our decking, so not a bad way to spend a sunny Saturday.

We went on a mini holiday at the end of April and drove for 6 hours down to New Plymouth on the West Coast, about half way between Auckland and Wellington. We had booked to see a Queen tribute band in concert (they were quite good actually), and thought we’d take the opportunity to have a few days off and
Mark trying to splash me / Mark intentando salpicarmeMark trying to splash me / Mark intentando salpicarmeMark trying to splash me / Mark intentando salpicarme

Goat Island Marine Reserva *** Reserva Marina de Goat Island
visit that corner of the country, which we didn’t get the chance to see when we first were here 2 years ago.

The landscape around New Plymouth is dominated by the imposing Mt Taranaki (also known as Mt Egmont), a 2,518 meter (8,261 ft) high active volcano (for the sake of comparison, Ben Nevis is a mere 1,344 meters (4,406 ft)). It has a second cone on its southern side, Fantham Peak, 1,962 meters (6,437 ft), but from many angles it looks like a perfectly cone-shaped volcano, and its striking resemblance to Mt Fuji in Japan meant it was chosen as the backdrop for the movie The Last Samurai.

A few major explosions have caused the mountain to collapse completely and then rise again several times over a few thousand years. Some experts believe another big explosion is "overdue". Now, just how big they reckon this explosion will be, we don’t know, but we probably won’t be investing in property anywhere near the area just in case….. Although apparently there is a greater risk of lahars causing major damage, even without volcanic activity. A moderate earthquake and heavy precipitation could be enough to set one off, and apparently
Wade Heads, Weiti RiverWade Heads, Weiti RiverWade Heads, Weiti River

Sunset near home *** Atardecer cerca de casa
earthquakes happen with unnerving frequency; several times a day in fact (or so we were told), although the vast majority of them are of such low intensity that you don’t actually feel them (more about this in the next blog).

Anyway, we were hoping to enjoy this beauty in its full glory and maybe go for a couple of walks in the area... but as we’ve mentioned once or twice before in our travelling blog, we really seem to be a magnet for freak weather when we’re away. This time it came in the shape of big storms (parts of the country were placed on high alert due to the risk of flooding), lots and lots of rain and thick, low cloud that covered the mountain for days. Naturally, the owner of the motel where we stayed wasted no time in informing us that they had had brilliant sunshine for at least 7 weeks just before we arrived and had in fact been close to suffering from drought. Well, thank you very much, that’s just what we wanted to hear! Git.

We had only intended to stay there for 3 nights but feared we would have to go
Wade Heads, Weiti RiverWade Heads, Weiti RiverWade Heads, Weiti River

A lot easier going back with the current! *** Fue mucho mas fácil a la vuelta con la corriente
away without seeing the mountain, and seeing that we had driven for 6 hours to get there, we felt quite disappointed. So trusting the weather forecast, which promised a lack of clouds by the end of that week, we booked another 2 nights. And hence the title of this blog. It cost us an extra $200 ($210 to be precise) in accommodation to be able to pose for a picture in front of a cloud-free mountain, and we did it just a few minutes before starting to make our way back home.

We did attempt a climb up a small mountain range opposite the volcano (from where we should have had good views of it) the day before, as advised by one of the national park’s rangers, who said we should be able to do the climb in a couple of hours. Yeah right. Three very slippery hours later we didn’t seem to be anywhere near a view point, and since we had set off a bit too late in the day and the sun was starting to set, we decided it would be safer to start making our way back down. We were a bit gutted, but I
Wade Heads, Weiti RiverWade Heads, Weiti RiverWade Heads, Weiti River

Mark in front of what looks like an abandoned boat *** Mark frente a lo que parece un barco abandonado
guess we didn’t go properly equipped to tackle the terrain (which resembled more an assault course than a trekking path). By the time we got back to the room, covered in mud and aching all over, we were glad to be going home the next day. We spent the last 2 days in pain and hardly able to walk like civilised people, our legs were in so much pain it was agony. Pathetic really. We should go out more!! Or could it be that we’re getting old?!?! (this is a rhetorical question by the way, no need to send responses on the back of a postcard).

Anyway, I think I’ve rambled on enough, as is my usual style, so I’ll love you and leave you until next time.... I should really aim to write more often and make the blogs shorter and easier to digest. That might encourage me to go out and take pictures more often, as I’ve been feeling a bit lazy lately! Hope you like the ones I’ve attached here.

Versión en Español


Bueno, pues por fín sucedió. Sabía que tenía que pasar tarde o temprano, pero aún así nos pilló algo desprevenidos. ¡Se
Soap Box Race / CarreraSoap Box Race / CarreraSoap Box Race / Carrera

Waiting for the countdown *** Esperando que empiece la cuenta atrás
nos ha echado encima el invierno y necesito llevar más de una capa! ¡¡Nooooooo!! Pero vaya, considerando que lo que hemos aguantado en los últimos 2 meses es aún mucho mejor que cualquier típico verano inglés, la verdad es que me doy con un canto en los dientes. Sobre todo después de leer las noticias de la semana pasada "cae en un día el equivalente a 2 meses de lluvia", "¡Nieve en junio!" En fín, y esto tras sufrir el invierno más frío de los últimos 12 años (sí, ya se que por allí también os pelásteis de frío)… vamos, que he tenido suerte de escaparme.

Supongo que nunca llegué a acostumbrarme al clima inglés, después de todo no estoy hecha para sobrevivir en un clima húmedo y frío… pero no es tanto la temperatura lo que me deprimía, era más bien la escasez casi perpetua (al menos así me lo parecía a mí) de cielos azules, que es definitivamente lo que más eché de menos de mi país de nacimiento en los años que pasé allí. Los 40ºC a la sombra sí que no los echo de menos, todo hay que decirlo, así que me alegro de haber
Soap Box Race / CarreraSoap Box Race / CarreraSoap Box Race / Carrera

The finish line was round the corner beyond the trees *** La meta estaba más allá de los árboles
encontrado aquí un buen término medio. Y sí, aquí sí que tenemos cielos azules, prácticamente a diario. Incluso cuando llueve, el sol siempre parece encontrar un hueco entre las nubes; creo que nunca he visto tantos arcos iris en ningún otro sitio.

Pero también hay desventajas, claro. Una de ellas es que la gran mayoría de las casas no tienen calefacción central ni ventanas con doble vidrio, de modo que nos estamos teniendo que acostumbrar a usar bolsas de agua caliente y manta eléctrica en la cama… habiéndome acostumbrado a tener calefacción central en Inglaterra, sí es algo que echo de menos, pero también es verdad que hay algo reconfortante (y nostálgico) en abrazar una botella de agua caliente que un radiador no puede proporcionar. Creo que podré acostumbrarme sin problema, sobre todo porque los inviernos no son demasiado fríos por aquí (la temperatura media en invierno es de 14ºC, el mes pasado tuvimos 5ºC durante unos días y la gente andaba alucinada). Pero la verdad es que no me importaría volver a tener ventanas con doble vidrio, más que nada porque aíslan mucho mejor el ruido.

Afortunadamente hemos tenido mucha suerte con los vecinos (toquemos madera), a
Soap Box Race / CarreraSoap Box Race / CarreraSoap Box Race / Carrera

This is Will, our friends' kid, racing his school's car *** Este es Will, el hijo de unos amigos, en el coche de su colegio
quien apenas oímos, y aunque vivimos en un calle bastante principal, el tráfico no es un problema mayor. Pero cuando sí hay ruido (un vecino poniendo a punto su moto, otro cortando el césped o algún perro ladrando), suena como si se hubieran metido en la habitación contigo.

Pero vaya, que esto no es más que un inconveniente bastante insignificante comparado con el resto de los problemas del universo. Y aunque hay algunas otras cosillas que tampoco nos vuelven locos de alegría, de momento preferimos ignorarlas, después de todo aún estamos en período de luna de miel y queremos disfrutarlo mientras podamos.

Cambiando de tema. Algunos comentarios acerca de las fotos… la primera foto, en la que dicho sea de paso, reconozco que salgo muy poco favorecida, pero qué le vamos a hacer, es de la noche de mi cumpleaños. La última vez que podré decir que "hoy cumplo treintaytantos"…. ¡¡Porras!! Pero no nos metamos en detalles desagradables… Pasamos el día "de escaparates", viendo kayaks a ver si nos animábamos a comprarnos uno (doble) o dos (individuales). Una de las tiendas de la zona tenía rebajas de fín de temporada ese fín de semana, así que decidimos volver
The Three Sisters, Tongaporutu / Las Tres Hermanas, TongaporutuThe Three Sisters, Tongaporutu / Las Tres Hermanas, TongaporutuThe Three Sisters, Tongaporutu / Las Tres Hermanas, Tongaporutu

Now only two, the third one has been eroded away by the Tasman Sea *** Ahora sólo quedan dos, a la tercera se la ha comido el Mar de Tasmania
el domingo, y acabamos gastándonos una pequeña fortuna en dos kayaks, más los remos, asientos, salvavidas y banderitas, pero mereció la pena porque nos encanta salir en ellos, es divertido y buen ejercicio al mismo tiempo.

Las fotos que he subido son de 3 de las 4 ocasiones en las que hemos salido esta temporada. La primera vez nos lo tomamos con calma, bajamos a una de las 11 playas que nos rodean y practicamos el manejo del remo y el no caernos al agua. Una salida sin acontecimientos vaya. No podemos decir lo mismo de la segunda salida. En esta ocasión fuimos a una reserva marina muy famosa por aquí (Goat Island Marine Reserve), donde va mucha gente a bucear y hacer snorkelling, está como a una hora en coche de casa. Ese día aprendimos varias valiosas lecciones... valiosas más que nada para principiantes como nosotros, pero también les pueden resultar útiles a aquellos que sufren de un exceso de confianza (o chulería) o escasez de sentido común:

Primera Lección. No intentes hacer kayaking en la costa oriental si soplan vientos de levante. Una sencilla fórmula para recordar a lo que te expones es la siguiente: "costa oriental + vientos de levante = olas GORDAS".

Segunda Lección. Un exceso de olas provocará un amaraje forzoso, te hará volcar y partirás la bandera en dos (como Mark pudo comprobar). Ah, y harás el ridículo frente a un montón de gente.

Tercera Lección. Si intentas sacar fotos desde el kayak sobre un mar picadillo, perderás el equilibrio y te mojarás (la que aquí subscribe se vio sorprendida por una ola traicionera que me pilló con el kayak de canto. ¡Al agua patos!)

Cuarta Lección. Si intentas hacer snorkelling agarrado a tu kayak en un día de viento, las olas harán que el kayak te pegue en la cocorota repetidamente. Clonk, clonk, clonk.

Quinta Lección. Cuando te subas de nuevo a tu kayak, no te agarres al kayak de otro para ayudarte tío jodío, porque lo volcarás y harás que la otra persona se vuelva a caer al agua (sobre todo si tú pesas el doble que susodicha otra persona)

Sexta Lección. Si no aseguras tus gafas y snorkel al kayak, descubrirás cuando ya sea tarde que se hundieron al fondo del océano cuando volcaste y los has perdido para siempre.

Séptima Lección. Si
Pukekura Park, New PlymouthPukekura Park, New PlymouthPukekura Park, New Plymouth

Autumn colours in the park *** Colores otoñales en el parque
la otra persona te dice que las gafas y el snorkel se han hundido porque no flotan, no seas desconfiado, ni por llevarle la contraria cometas la tontería de soltar tus propias gafas y snorkel para verlos hundirse también.

En resumen: carito nos salió el día.

La última vez que salimos, en abril, hacía algo de rasquilla, más que nada porque no íbamos ataviados para la ocasión por falta de equipo, así que no hemos vuelto a salir por cobardía. Pero nos acabamos de comprar unos monos de neopreno para poder salir abrigaditos, así que en cuanto pillemos un día en que el mar esté en calma y no sople viento, allá que vamos otra vez.

Por cierto, por si hay alguien entre vosotros que se esté preguntando por qué nos hemos comprado kayaks abiertos en vez de cerrados (que serían más abrigados en invierno), la respuesta es sencilla, y es que ¡estos últimos cuestan 2 y 3 veces más! Al menos con los nuestros no tienes que aprender a realizar salidas de emergencia ni dominar la técnica del esquimotaje si los vuelcas…

Volviendo al mes de marzo (perdón, no estoy siguiendo un orden cronológico exacto),
Fitzroy Beach, New PlymouthFitzroy Beach, New PlymouthFitzroy Beach, New Plymouth

Black volcanic sand *** Playa negra de arena volcánica
unos días antes de mi cumpleaños fue nuestro segundo aniversario de boda. Habíamos planeado alquilar un barco y salir a explorar un par de las islas que tenemos por aquí, pero aunque las condiciones atmosféricas eran buenas en tierra firme, en el agua eran algo menos agradables. Desde luego no recomendables para novatos, o aquellos predispuestos al mareo, de modo que pensamos que mejor lo dejábamos para otra ocasión.

Así que en vez de un barquito nos pillamos el ferry y nos fuimos a visitar la isla Waiheke. Nos alquilamos un coche (más barato que subir el tuyo propio al ferry) y nos fuimos de excursión, rodeando la isla y parando aquí y allá a admirar los paisajes. Waiheke es la isla con mayor densidad de población en Nueva Zelanda (incluyendo las dos grandes), con unos 7.500 residentes permanentes en un área de 92 km²; también hay mucha gente que tiene una segunda residencia o casa de vacaciones en la isla. Unos 1.000 habitantes se desplazan a Auckland a diario para ir a trabajar (son unos 35 minutos en el ferry). La isla es famosa por sus viñedos, que son una de las mayores atracciones turísticas; a aquellos de
Mark trying not to fall over / Mark intentando no pegarse un morrónMark trying not to fall over / Mark intentando no pegarse un morrónMark trying not to fall over / Mark intentando no pegarse un morrón

It was difficult keeping your balance on very slippery ground *** No era nada fácil mantener el equilibrio sobre un terreno tan resbaladizo
vosotros que entendéis de vino os puede interesar saber que la isla goza del clima ideal para cultivar uvas principalmente del tipo Bordeaux, también Chardonnay y Sauvignon Blanc, gracias a sus veranos secos y cálidos.

También a finales de marzo pasamos un sábado viendo como los críos de los colegios de la zona competían en carreras de coches, al final de nuestra calle. Uno de los niños es el hijo de unos amigos y aprovechamos la oportunidad para ser sociables con ellos. Estos coches en inglés se llaman "cajas de jabón", seguramente os sonará haber visto este tipo de cosas en las películas americanas, donde ha sido una tradición desde principios del siglo pasado. Por aquel entonces padres e hijos pasaban los fines de semana construyendo "coches" para estas carreras utilizando principalmente cajas de madera (de ahí le viene el nombre, de cuando las pastillas de jabón llegaban a las tiendas en cajas de madera que luego se reciclaban para otras cosas - como construir estos coches, o para utilizarlas como plataforma para dar discursos en sitios públicos). La tradición sigue viva en Inglaterra y sobre todo en América, donde aún se celebran campeonatos internacionales. He intentado averiguar si
New PlymouthNew PlymouthNew Plymouth

Somewhere in the far distance! *** Allá en la distancia
también existe en España porque a mí no me suena, pero todos los resultados que me salen en google son de Ecuador, donde al parecer también hay mucha afición, y las llaman "carreras de coches de madera".

Total, que eso es lo que esperábamos encontrar, una colección de coches caseros de todos los tamaños, formas y colores, decorados de mil maneras, pero qué va, hoy día los coches vienen ya fabricados de América y son todos iguales (lo único que cambia es el color), una decepción vaya, mucho más aburrido, a mí me parece que la carrera pierde todo su encanto, ¿no os parece? Pero supongo que es un indicio de los tiempos que corren, la gente ya no tiene tiempo para esas cosas. (Aunque se que en algunas partes de los EEUU sí que continúan utilizando coches caseros, en youtube encontraréis un montón de videos si buscáis "soapbox derby", éste es uno de ellos
&feature=channel). Pero bueno, lo pasamos bien de todas maneras, y al final de la carrera nos los trajimos a casa y encendimos la barbacoa, hizo un día de sol espléndido ideal para ello.

A finales de abril nos fuimos de mini vacaciones, nos
Mt TaranakiMt TaranakiMt Taranaki

That little white peak at the end is the only glimpse I got *** Ese piquito blanco en la distancia es lo único que vi de él
chupamos 6 horas de coche y nos fuimos a conocer New Plymouth, que está como a medio camino entre Auckland y Wellington. Fuimos a ver a una banda tributo a Queen, la verdad es que estuvieron muy bien. De paso también queríamos aprovechar para conocer ese rincón del país, al que por falta de tiempo no llegamos durante nuestra primera visita hace 2 años.

El paisaje alrededor de New Plymouth, y muchos kilómetros a la redonda, se ve dominado por la imponente figura del Monte Taranaki (también conocido como Monte Egmont), que es en realidad un volcán activo de 2.518 metros. Tiene un segundo cono hacia el sur, el Pico Fantham, de 1.962 metros, pero desde muchos ángulos tiene aspecto de ser el típico volcán de forma cónica perfecta, y gracias a su gran parecido al Monte Fuji en Japón se le utilizó como fondo en la película de El Ultimo Samurai.

Varias explosiones a lo largo de varios miles de años han provocado que la montaña colapsara totalmente y se volviera a formar varias veces. Algunos expertos dicen que debería haber explosionado otra vez hace ya tiempo, aunque no sabemos exactamente lo grande que esperan que sea
The $200 photo!! / ¡La foto de los 200 dólares!The $200 photo!! / ¡La foto de los 200 dólares!The $200 photo!! / ¡La foto de los 200 dólares!

And the clouds lifted at long last!!! *** ¡¡Y por fín se disiparon las nubes!!
esta explosión. De cualquier modo, quizás no sea una buena idea invertir en inmobiliaria en la zona… aunque al parecer el mayor riesgo de destrucción no es la posibilidad de actividad volcánica en sí, sino el riesgo de lahares. Un pequeño terremoto combinado con fuertes precipitaciones pueden provocar uno, y al parecer los terremotos por esta parte del mundo suceden con preocupante asiduidad; varias veces al día, para ser precisos, o al menos eso nos dijeron, aunque la gran mayoría son tan débiles que no los sientes (en el próximo blog os cuento más).

Total, que para allá que nos fuimos esperando poder ver esta montaña majestuosa en toda su gloria, y hasta darnos un par de paseos en su proximidad, pero como ya mencionamos más de una vez en el blog del viaje, parece que atraemos fenómenos atmosféricos inesperados como la miel a las moscas. En esta ocasión fue lluvia y más lluvia, hasta el punto que durante esos días varias zonas del país fueron puestas en alerta roja debido al riesgo de inundaciones. Con la lluvia evidentemente vinieron las nubes, tupidas y bajas que cubrieron el volcán por completo durante varios días. Por supuesto el dueño del motel donde nos alojamos no perdió tiempo en informarnos que habían tenido un sol radiante durante al menos 7 semanas antes de llegar nosotros, hasta el punto que estaban al borde de sufrir una sequía. Pues bien, muchas gracias hombre, justo lo que queríamos oir. ¡Será tonto!

El caso es que sólo íbamos a pasar 3 noches, pero nos daba rabia tener que irnos sin haber visto el volcán después de la palicilla de coche, de verdad qué desilusión. Así, confiando en el hombre del tiempo, que predecía ausencia de nubes hacia el final de la semana, decidimos quedarnos un par de noches más. Y de ahí el título de este blog, porque nos tuvimos que gastar $200 más ($210 para ser exactos) en alojamiento para poder posar para la foto frente al volcán despejado. La foto la sacamos nada más que unos minutos antes de emprender el regreso a casa.

También intentamos subir a la cima de otra pequeña cordillera que hay enfrente el día anterior (desde donde se supone que íbamos a obtener buenas vistas del volcán), según nos lo aconsejó uno de los guardas del parque (toda esa zona es un parque nacional), que nos dijo que tardaríamos unas 2 horas en llegar a la cima. Tururú. Tres resbaladizas horas más tarde no parecíamos estar ni cerca de nada que se asemejara a la cima, y como habíamos salido algo tarde y el sol empezaba a caer, pensamos que mejor nos dábamos media vuelta. Otra decepción, pero supongo que fue culpa nuestra por no ir adecuadamente equipados para semejante caminata, el terreno parecía más un circuito de obstáculos que un paseo por el monte. Para cuando llegamos a la habitación, cubiertos de barro y con dolores en sitios que no me atrevo a nombrar, estábamos deseando volver a casita. Las agujetas de los dos días siguientes fueron pura agonía, apenas podíamos caminar como personas civilizadas. Patético. ¡Tendríamos que salir más a menudo! ¿!¿O puede ser que nos estamos haciendo viejos?!? (ésta es una pregunta retórica por cierto, no hay necesidad de mandarnos vuestras respuestas).

En fín, os voy a dejar aquí, que como es mi buena costumbre me he enrollado como las persianas… Ya sé que debería escribir menos y más a menudo, para hacer las historias más fáciles de digerir. Así a lo mejor también me animaba a salir con la cámara más a menudo, porque la verdad es que últimamente he estado algo vaga. Bueno, espero que os gusten las fotos que os he subido aquí. Besos.


Advertisement



16th June 2009

Exhausted!!
Maria, After 2 stops for a tea break, I made it to the end of your blog....Need to sit down and rest now!! Why do I feel the need to read your blogs as fast as you talk???? Great to hear from you guys, glad it is all going well.... Dave
16th June 2009

you cheeky git!!!!!!
I was tempted to mark your comment as spam... ;-) Good to hear from you, how about an email one day?!? xx
17th June 2009

Planning our trip
We are still in the planning stage of our trip to see you but will give that walk you did a miss. Gladd all is going well will ring you soon.

Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0748s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb