Egmont National Park
Background: The Polynesian Maori reached New Zealand in about A.D. 800. In 1840, their chieftains entered into a compact with Britain, the Treaty of Waitangi, in which they ceded sovereignty to Queen Victoria while retaining territorial rights. In that same year, the British began the first organized colonial settlement. A series of land wars between 1843 and 1872 ended with the defeat of the native peoples. The British colony of New Zealand became an independent dominion in 1907 and supported the UK militarily in both World Wars. New Zealand's full participation in a number of defense alliances lapsed by the 1980s. In recent years, the government has sought to address longstanding Maori grievances.
Photos from Egmont National Park
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Egmont National Park
Latest Blogs from Egmont National Park
- February 5th 2013 De beklimming van Mt. Taranaki
by Words: 593 Photos: 13
- April 21st 2012 Mt. Taranaki National Park and Waitomo Caves
by Words: 1707 Photos: 12
- January 25th 2012 Climbing MT Taranaki
by Words: 63 Photos: 0
- September 14th 2009 Days 3 & 4 - Hard graft!
by Words: 431 Photos: 4
- June 3rd 2009 A $200 worth picture / Una foto de 200 dolares
by Words: 5298 Photos: 23
- April 25th 2009 Mt Egmont
by Words: 202 Photos: 21
- January 25th 2009 Surf Highway - Nouvelle Zélande
by Words: 265 Photos: 17
- November 1st 2008 Goodbye North Island!
by Words: 1597 Photos: 19
- May 1st 2008 Head in the clouds
by Words: 447 Photos: 12
- February 25th 2008 Hawera
by Words: 104 Photos: 2
- February 25th 2008 Day 9-11 (2/23-2/25)
by Words: 107 Photos: 14
- February 21st 2008 Day 6 2/20
by Words: 37 Photos: 3
- February 21st 2008 Day 7 2/21
by Words: 68 Photos: 3
- February 14th 2008 Like a pig in clover..
by Words: 354 Photos: 0
- March 5th 2007 Kiwi Birthdays and Canadian Birthdays!
by Words: 401 Photos: 16
- November 26th 2006 This seems familiar...
by Words: 1121 Photos: 3
- May 15th 2006 Highs in the sky!
by Words: 848 Photos: 5
- April 15th 2006 Volcano Country
by Words: 560 Photos: 0