Walker and Sharoock, loose on the roads of NZ!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Hahei
January 13th 2008
Published: January 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We picked up our silver bullet car juicy Lucy and headed off on the roads. I was first up to drive - wooo hoo! They drive on the left here but have some dodgy give way system at intersections, like you have to give way to the people turning right. it confuses me so I tend to ignore it! ha ha! will see how it goes!

We headed along the coastal road and had a lunch stop off at Thames (and yes it had a river but it's not quite as large as London!) we then headed up on the windy hilly roads which was fun - Lucy doesn't like hills by the way but we understand! - so we had a quick stop in at coromandel and then Whitanga and headed to Hot Water beach on the West coast. Hot Water Beach has thermal activity under where the beach is and you can dig a whole in the beach and bathe in hot water bath! How exicting! So we headed down in hope of stealing a spade or shovel from someone as we didn;t want to pay to hire one! tested a few pools out forst already dug but they were cold and then we got talking to a german bloke Dominque and this other family. we borrowed their shovel, found a hot spot. You have to pick the correct place otherwise it can be cold! Dominque dug most of our pool which is always good! we got a really good spot in between a few other pools and couldn't sit down in it as it was actually boiling water! We dug a bit of cold up and all was well! Some people had dug holes and their was steam coming off it. It was lovely and chilled even though it was busy and it was just a bit crazy really!!

I did all the driving today as Lou was liking being the passenger but I like driving so I don't mind! Got a small crack int he windscreen already though from a stone I think - poor Lucy but it's all good as we are covered on the insurance - we took your advice Dad! We have started to make the car our own already which is funny - we are spreading out but why not - we have her for almost a month!

After hot Water Beach it was clockign on a bit so we went to Haihei (pronounced Hi - Hey) to look for accom. Tried a few places but know luck then we found the Tahiti Lodge which has rooms. And flipping heck did we strike gold with that place! It is Lurrvelllyy!! It has cabins as well as dorms but the place it great. It had great big kitchen and wooden bunks and cabin style rooms with a fab atmosphere! Best hostel I have stayed in so far anyway!

We chilled out with a bottle of plonk and planned tomorrows route!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0997s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb