Background: The Polynesian Maori reached New Zealand in about A.D. 800. In 1840, their chieftains entered into a compact with Britain, the Treaty of Waitangi, in which they ceded sovereignty to Queen Victoria while retaining territorial rights. In that same year, the British began the first organized colonial settlement. A series of land wars between 1843 and 1872 ended with the defeat of the native peoples. The British colony of New Zealand became an independent dominion in 1907 and supported the UK militarily in both World Wars. New Zealand's full participation in a number of defense alliances lapsed by the 1980s. In recent years, the government has sought to address longstanding Maori grievances.
Photos from Hahei
Blogs from Hahei
Latest Blogs from Hahei
- May 7th 2013 Nur ein kurzer Zwischenstand ...
by Words: 124 Photos: 1
- February 5th 2013 05.02. Auckland – Hahei
by Words: 356 Photos: 1
- October 18th 2012 17. Oktober 12, Cathedral Cove - Hahei Beach - Hotwater Beach
by Words: 878 Photos: 18
- April 8th 2012 New Zealand – Hahei and Raglan – Cathedral Cove and some quality left hand brake surf in Raglan whatever that is, Simon or should I say DAN any ideas???
by Words: 1042 Photos: 20
- March 3rd 2011 Hahei
by Words: 155 Photos: 0
- January 10th 2011 Cathedral cove
by Words: 290 Photos: 0
- December 15th 2010 Fajitas at Sunset
by Words: 630 Photos: 15
- June 10th 2010 Hot Water Beach & Cathedral Cove
by Words: 66 Photos: 32
- March 2nd 2010 New Zealand - Hahei
by Words: 1540 Photos: 0
- August 3rd 2009 Day 187-189: Hamilton to Whangamata to Hahei, New Zealand
by Words: 1374 Photos: 14
- January 11th 2009 Hanei!
by Words: 932 Photos: 12
- December 16th 2008 Napier - Rotorua - Coromandel Peninsula
by Words: 558 Photos: 0
- July 19th 2008 Van Tauranga op weg naar Hahei
by Words: 67 Photos: 1
- January 13th 2008 Walker and Sharoock, loose on the roads of NZ!
by Words: 498 Photos: 4
- November 19th 2007 On the Road again...
by Words: 315 Photos: 10
- November 3rd 2007 Cathedral Cove
by Words: 1386 Photos: 8
- October 12th 2007 GPS Rules!
by Words: 319 Photos: 8
- August 14th 2007 Hahei---> Raglan
by Words: 271 Photos: 0
- April 20th 2007 The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round
by Words: 2125 Photos: 23
- March 17th 2007 Cathedral Drove....Yes... Droves.. as in droves of people
by Words: 431 Photos: 0