A Day Out in Auckland!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
January 12th 2008
Published: January 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well, we decided to have a free day out in Auckland having a good nosy round! So we hit the free bus and went on a circuit around the city which didn't actually take as long as expected! We then got off and headed to Victoria Park Markets as we heard they were good!

So we got off at the Sky Tower, watched a few people chuck themselves off which was cool and then headed for Victoria Park! The markets were just a mixture of stalls, the usual, clothes, jewellery, Maori masks and all that jazz! It was cool to have a potter around! They had a celebrity walkway were celebrities had hand imprints in the cement and Sir Edmund Hillary was on there too. They had a bit of a memorial because of his death.

We then decided it didn't look that far to walk to the Auckland bridge so we thought we would give it a whirl! A few harbours later we decided it was perhaps a bit further than anticipated and that only the motorway went up to the bridge so we weren't sure how close we could get, we aborted mission! We went to Princess Wharf and got some pics in the distanbce and ste out packed lunch! Feel like I am in school all over again but Ilike this picnicing business! Its fun! I don't get any surpirses in my lunch box though like at school - shame! ha ha!

We then headed upto Albert park, one of the parks in the city to have a look around there as theres lots of monuments and chill out for a bit. quite tired today! Got a few snap shots and then headed back. Our hostel puts DVD's on each night so we are having a movie night!

Laur - whilst I think on - For accom for when you arrive - Base Backpackers (This is not Base ACB central)fort St is $145 a week for 10 bed dorm / $27 a night for 8 bed dorm - mixed, nice and big hostel and clean, has bar, cafe, kitchens, TV room, internet.
Surf and Snow backpackers looked nice but was full so we couldn't go there but prices were cheaper than Base - $23 a night for dorm mixed and if you want a free tour of Auckland you can if you ask at receptions of any hostels as Stray and Kiwi experience do them for the backpackers but they only do it Mon - Fri so we missed out! They looked good though and you do a lot for not paying anything!
We are in Queen St Backpackers now on Fort St which is Ok. A bit dated but was cheaper than base so we moved there! They have a big TV lounge with comfy sofas, bar, bathrooms are a bit sparse but was $21 a night. Not sure on the weekly price though but we met a guy who was going to move to Albert St backpackers which I have heard good things about for $120 a week. until you guys find somewhere to live properly anyway - Hope this helps! xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



12th January 2008

thats so funny!!! I have exactly the same photo of that BEER building!!!! xxx

Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0721s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb