Where's the Space Shuttle?!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Paihia
January 31st 2007
Published: February 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ok so we picked up the Space Shuttle from Auckland and it is bright Orange with nice white flashes with Space Shuttle written across it- Stellios from Easyjet would be proud. We were thinking of leaving it in a car park and taking an aerial photo and doing a 'Where's The Space Shuttle' book! along the same lines as 'Where's Wally' Oh and we feel the necessity to flash (with lights) everyone we see in the same van which has been about 2 so far!

Ok so this bus is to be our home for 2 weeks!!!! We drove up from Auckland to Whangarei via Goat Island and along the East Coast- what a beautiful country. They say it is like England hundreds of years ago and i can see why. It is so green and sunny and full of windey roads. We have ventured onto a couple of beaches and have ended up running from them as it has started to lash down.

Well we rocked up to a campsite by Whangarei Falls on the first night and it took us 2 hours to put up the tent. None of us had ever done this before. So James (Kel's bro is in the tent with the one duvet we have between 3 of us). Anyway Kel and I are in the bus which is like an Inspector Gadget / Swiss Penknife bus where you put the back seats down, open the boot and clip this extension thing on. My god we were freezing we actually thought we were going to get hyperthermia. Oh and not advisable to drink a 2 litre bottle of water about 2 hours before you have to sleep staying in a campsite!!!

We woke up and headed to the falls- a beautiful water fall so had a 3 hour hike before we headed to purchase the extra 2 duvets from the local supermarket before heading further up the East Coast to Whale Bay and sat on the beach for the day- it's actually too hot- we reckon Kel has 3rd degree burns but we'll wait and see.

So rocked up at another campsite yesterday to find out we had left the tent pegs in the ground at the previous site so had to improvise! Yesterday we went out on the boat at Tutukaka to the Poor Knights and snokelled and kayaked and saw loads of fish and rays. It was lovely.

Drove up to Paiha yesterday on the Bay of Islands and set down at a campsite just outside right on the sea front it was amazing. Woke up this morning and headed out on the boat to check out the dolphins. They swam right by the boat but unfortunately we couldn't swim with them as they had babies. Ahhh how cute.

Anyway we are now at another campsire in Kerikeri. The campsites are surpsisingly ok and clean.

Heading up to the Cape tmrw right at the top via Ninety Mile Beach somehow. We certainly will not be doing that in the van as we have heard many stories where cars have sunk in the sand.

Anyway heading off for now.

Cx

PS: No Stem Ginger Muffs to be seen Lucy!





Advertisement



5th February 2007

Sounds like you're having a wicked time mate! Bundle of laughs back here too (not!) - lots happening to fill you in on but will have to send you a separate email. Anyway, tell Kell that Natural yoghurt works wonders for third degree burns. Ah bless her - hope she's okay. Love to you both and take care of yourselves. Speak soon xx
6th February 2007

3rd degree burns?
ie. all of Kelly's freckles have joined together to create one super-freckle...cool! Sounds like you're having a great time, missing out on sooo much here, ooh anything from a bit of snow to me burning myself a little bit on the iron. Exciting times afoot in old Londontown! Continue to enjoy and get those bloody pics uploaded! Take care of yourselves 'and each other' x

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb