Just South of Normal


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
December 3rd 2007
Published: December 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our journey so far has been to board the tight confins of a 747 to indure a 11 hour flight, hang out in Fiji-land for 8 days to throughly place little tiny grains of sand in every known nook, cranny, and orface of our bodies, to then board another 747 for 4 hours to finally land literally on the other side of the world. You'd come to expect after this that indeed life is truly backwards down here. I mean, for Christ's sake the water swirls the other way, so shouldn't all other forms of life go opposite from what we know? To come to the opposite corner of the world after induring such hardships it's not unreasonable to expect life to instantly shock you with the differences. And thierin lies the interesting part of New Zealand. It mostly feels like home, mostly.

So being the tourist types we decieded to visit the Sky Tower (Space Needle like building). And of coarse the views of Auckland are quite stunning all in all. So after much ooo'ing and and ahh'ing we decieded to share a glass of chardonay as seemed appropiate in the most expensive dinning area. I mean, this is what you do when you come to such places right? So sitting there sipping our single glass of chardonay we were feeling quite up and up when we noticed the occasional brightly colored person passing by our window rather quickly. Alarmed we glanced at each other and said nothing. I mean, when a flying person goes right by your window at a 1000 feet up and you do tend to doubt what you saw. No worries mate, as they say, 10 minutes later we get another view of an adrenline rushed gradma bungie dropping past us from the tallest building in the southern hemisphere. And there in lies one of the many subtle differences with New Zealand. You almost feel like your back home when all of a sudden you catch something out of your periphery that defines normal sense.

Things of note.

If asked to press the "Hash" mark on the telephone, don't panic, just think of hashbrowns and press the pound key (took a bit of key punching and several redials to figure this one out.)

Learn to look right first when crossing the street as seeing how that's where the closest land of oncoming traffic is coming from. Looking both ways still advised however.

Food is great, even had some Korean street pancakes. That being said, after ordering a beef and cheese pancake and declaring it the most tasty thing i've devored in 48 hours I came to notice they had snuck broccoli into the mix. 😞 To clover's delight i've finally eatin and enjoyed the green devil... Not sure if i'll respect myself in the morning but what's done is done.

Cricket defines all logic as a sport... More to come on this occurance...





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



3rd December 2007

alright, first to make a comment..... well i guess that's it, hope you two are having fun, and it sure looks like it :)
6th December 2007

welcome to the green side
sure you can respect yourself. Don't be afraid to taste the goodness of broccoli. Trust the people who's ancestors invented kim chi to surprise you. Stoked to follow your updates, keep up the good work. Peace out G's

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb