Auckland


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Parnell
April 3rd 2007
Published: April 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well, of course the New-Zealanders will build their biggest city on top of a active volcanic field. It only makes sense.
There are about 50 volcanoes all over the city and in the bay, some of them quite young. The youngest, called Rangitoto, is an island that appeared out of the bay just 600 hundred years ago. Walking on it, you actually step on jagged black cold lava, although the vegetation had softened the surface over the years.
Walking all the way up to the top, the volcanic nature is obvious - a huge crater is revealed, with the summit the highest point on the rim of the crater. And not only on Rangitoto - I saw the same thing on Mt. Eden, only this time it's not an island but a green steep hill in a middle of a quiet suburb. And there were cows in the crater, for some unknown reason.
And Auckland is scattered with those hills. It makes the walking around the city a bit difficult, but rewards with a great lookout points in the middle of lovely parks.
Of course the fact that any moment now a new volcano might decide to make an appearance in the neighborhood, doesn't really concern the locals. On the contrary - judging by the volcanic section in the museum and various information sheets, the are quite proud standing on the brink of doom. And I say good for them and good for me I'm flying out tomorrow.
I heard that Melbourne is geologically stable.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

View from Rangitoto of Downtown AucklandView from Rangitoto of Downtown Auckland
View from Rangitoto of Downtown Auckland

With Davenport and Mt. Victoria in the way


Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0805s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb