Background: The Polynesian Maori reached New Zealand in about A.D. 800. In 1840, their chieftains entered into a compact with Britain, the Treaty of Waitangi, in which they ceded sovereignty to Queen Victoria while retaining territorial rights. In that same year, the British began the first organized colonial settlement. A series of land wars between 1843 and 1872 ended with the defeat of the native peoples. The British colony of New Zealand became an independent dominion in 1907 and supported the UK militarily in both World Wars. New Zealand's full participation in a number of defense alliances lapsed by the 1980s. In recent years, the government has sought to address longstanding Maori grievances.
Photos from North Shore
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from North Shore
Latest Blogs from North Shore
- April 6th 2012 South Island New Zealand
by Words: 1067 Photos: 0
- March 16th 2012 Rechtstreeks door Auckland en wat rondrijden in the Northshore
by Words: 767 Photos: 0
- March 16th 2012 Mairangi Bay
by Words: 260 Photos: 0
- February 26th 2012 New Zealand...The Last Leg!
by Words: 1121 Photos: 25
- February 12th 2012 New Zealand!!!! First Stop...Auckland
by Words: 1040 Photos: 24
- October 22nd 2011 The final fling
by Words: 223 Photos: 1
- October 22nd 2011 The last leg
by Words: 252 Photos: 3
- October 17th 2011 The morning after and off to Christchurch again
by Words: 94 Photos: 1
- October 16th 2011 It's a small world
by Words: 525 Photos: 0
- October 16th 2011 To choke, or not to choke?
by Words: 161 Photos: 0
- October 15th 2011 The best cure for a hangover?
by Words: 271 Photos: 0
- October 9th 2011 The morning after
by Words: 78 Photos: 0
- October 9th 2011 Timtams and tea
by Words: 165 Photos: 0
- October 8th 2011 White Island volcano and beyond
by Words: 323 Photos: 3
- July 2nd 2011 Auckland - Wellington and a bit of this and that
by Words: 97 Photos: 70
- June 19th 2011 Moving to New Zealand
by Words: 543 Photos: 0
- April 2nd 2011 Last Supper in NZ
by Words: 316 Photos: 0
- March 30th 2011 A day in Auckland.
by Words: 899 Photos: 39
- February 8th 2011 Up up and away...
by Words: 252 Photos: 0
- January 12th 2011 Fabulous Northland
by Words: 948 Photos: 23