Day 5 3rd Oct Fiji


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji
October 3rd 2014
Published: October 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

After an 11 hour flight, we arrived in Nadi airport about 6 am Nadi time. The time different of them being 11 hours ahead ment we lost a day technically. Going through border control you are greeted by a trio of Fijian men playing on their guitars and ukeleles and singing away - already an indicator of the happiness of the people here.

Once through customs we grabbed our shuttle to the hostel on the beach in Nadi. We had decided to pay the extra two pounds a night for the all girl sanctuary room - hair dryer, incredible aircon and lots of charging points - height of luxuries to me already.

As we had gotten to the hostel super early we couldn't actually check in until 1 o'clock. So we had to kill time laying about on the beach and grabbing breakfast ( such chores). Once finally settled in we set about trying to sort out the card problems. Fiji cash machines, the green ones ( the whole two I've seen so far) don't see to like credit cards. Fortunately they like my debit card, lord knows how much extra I paid in charges though. The Fijian money is again another testimont to how happy the people are here - it's super bright and colourful. Kinda beating the dullness of a fiver or a tenner.

Also managed to get some sunglasses from the little shop in the hostel (after buying and breaking the 5 dollar pair in a day in America - suppose I did have that one coming). The guy in the shop says he accepts card - what he means is he hand writes a slip and then rings a number with the charge.

We then decided to get some food and wine at our hostel (well earnt after such a stressful day...nawt). Although as I keep telling Em, we need to get into beer as it's what most travellers seems to drink and it's cheap. It would make our lives a lot easier but I can't see it happening. The two glass of wine slumps hits and we decided to power nap. Managed I sleep through our 45 minute alarms and woke up 2 hours later.

Struggling through the jet lag we played some cards (rummy) by the sea. We met these two residents, one from Florida who is working over here carrying out conservation of sharks (he's a professional diver - in essence he dives with sharks all day all over Fiji... Unreal) and the other is a local working on the same conservation project. Ended up drinking away with them (a local run called bounty - ended up finding out it's 56% today!!) and going into town to go out. The first place was called Ice bar - absolutely amazed me how westernised t was, all the music, the style with the red and blue neon lights took me back to bar 39 on Pompey(not sure if that's a good thing).

Sat on the balcony there and Ron ( the Fijian conservationist) told us about how the Fijians drink naming it Taki. You all drink from one cup and you pass round when you are done. This is to stop one person being completely completely sober and one person who has been sneaking shots and pouring stronger measures to end up needing looking after. This way needs to be brought back with me to the UK. Other things learnt are that you need to say Bula a lot ( not does it only mean hello but also cheers and "life" so must always been said back). Plus they have a special handshake that they all do involving clicking your fingers against the other persons.

We then moved further down the road to Ed's, a big travellers bar - cue more run and dancing/ a funny dance off(before you all cringe I was a mere spectator)/ these two Asians who i'm pretty sure were having sex completely out of time to the music. Too many sweaty bodies banging into me, we decided to get a taxi home.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb