Day 6 Nadi, Fiji 4th Oct


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji
October 4th 2014
Published: October 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Woke early and decided for a change of scenery we would move the whole few meters down the road to a different hostel. Supplies were required so we got the rickety bus to the local supermarket to get some bits before we go onto the much more isolate islands in which the resorts you are staying in are all that is on the island (we've decided on Beachcomber and then Mantaray – one for the party and the other for diving and snorkelling, named Mantaray because there are lots of Mantarays around).



I always get really excited to go to the local supermarkets in each country, just interesting to see how it differs place to place. After wrongly getting off at what we thought was the right place we were directed onwards by a lovely local man who told us to go into central town, we were in the wrong place apparently. At the second massive central supermarket, we got some stuff. Weird finding of the day was the biggest effing pan I ever did see – and a hell of a lot of rice – was kinda expecting that one. There was a separate section for booze in the corner, all similar prices to home (still finding it hard to get used to the pricing in my head because its 3 something fijian dollars to the pound, you see stuff for $47 and you are thinking Jesus H Christ then you realise) but I suppose it is all imported really far.



Back at the hostel had some dinner and drinks. We decided that when in Fiji, we must do as the Fijians do and what the Fijians do is drink Kava. Kava is from a root plant – they sell it in a powder form, mix it with water in a massive bowl and filter it through what looks like a big sock. The result of this mixing is a big bowl filled with what looks like muddy dishwater. So on appearance I wasn't especially hopeful. The tasting begins, we sit barefoot on the carpet and a Fijian man called Gaby with hair like Peter Pan explains to us how you have to drink your bowl. You must clap once, say Bula to all around you and down it ("sink it"). No sipping or taking your time.



The taste, hmmm...how can I describe it – it is almost like a hybrid of mild washing up liquid and well muddy river water. Gives a weird powdery feel in your mouth (although some say this is numbness). In all honesty I was not a fan really, it is said however to make you sleep really well and “make you a good lover”. Intermittent with this 7 or 8 bowls (thats right 7 or 8 bowls – although we were asking for the low tide portion size - you don't want to say no and be rude! but dread enter my body when Peter Pan yelled KAVA TIME) two Fijian men on guitars with lovely voices sung both traditional Fijian songs and then things like Passenger's let her go and Avicii's Hey brother – most peculiar really.



After feeling sufficiently full and even mildly like I might vomit, we watched some fire dancing on the beach. The fire dancing was especially thrilling as all health and safety went out the window. What can you expect when they get Peter Pan and people full to the brim of Kava to perform. They were throwing the fire batons in the air near us/ basically above us and and at one point a spark of fire flew off and landed right next to a woman in a particularly flammable and long dress, slowly burning on the ground until someone covered it in sand. I want all future fire dances to involve this fear of being set alight. The UK health and safety sucks out all the fun and excitement of out these things.





Will give the verdict on whether the Kava gives an amazing sleep tomorrow when we get up early to head to the islands.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.219s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb